Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Skoolie

getting the title?

So I have never bought a used vehicle before(im 23 and my parents signed for the car i bought new a few years ago). when i go to pick up the bus, how do i know for sure im not getting screwed over? should i just go to the dmv with the seller and do it directly through them?

carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Any public notary can witness the sale. Try your bank first. Sometimes they offer that service at no charge to you.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Check with your DMV and/or police/sheriff/law enforcement. They'll be familiar with actual legal requirements in your area. They may also be familiar with fraud schemes that happen to be prevalent there now and may have helpful tips for protecting yourself.

I'll bet that school buses aren't so popular for curb-stoners to steal and sell as, say, a recent model sedan or an antique. Not enough easily-duped buyers, or buyers of any kind really, for quickly unloading something so quirky as a generic school bus.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
title

get the vin number, there are a few web sites, sometimes even the dmv site will allow you to run the vin, do this to confirm the person selling the bus has the bus title in there name, you can even ask to check their drivers license to make sure it matches the name on the title,

after you buy it go to the tax assessor collectors office or what ever place does vehicle titles in your state to have the title transferred into your name, do just a title only so you dont have to pay much,
Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #5
Skoolie

"have the title transferred into your name, do just a title only so you dont have to pay much"
i mean besides the title what else is there? i thought it was only the title.
so safest thing is to go to the dmv im assuming and do it there
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Indiana no longer requires a notary, haven't for years. Title is bill of sale with spaces for price and date. Typically, seller signs and you fill in the rest. Purchase price is on there so the state knows what to charge for sales tax. Every state is different,
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Sales tax? Whazzat? We don't have no steenkin' sales tax here in Montana.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Title only transfers ownership to you. Running it on the road requires <gasp> license plates and <gasp><gasp>INSURANCE!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
If you're worried about it having a salvage title or damage you could check a VIN# website (I have been happy with carfax), but it will say salvage on the paper title as well.

As far as mechanical, you can check it out yourself after some research on checking diesels (I did this), or you can ask to have a mechanic check it over (which may be difficult considering it is a bus).

I suggest you bring and fill out a Bill Of Sale, freely available online. This is just a back-up to the Title proving the sale and your ownership.

Most states have a couple days where you do not need new plates, some states require the plate to go with the vehicle, and others require it to stay with the original owner. You will need insurance if your state requires it. And if it is registered as a school bus you are also required to have a CDL. If you don't, you can risk driving it or find someone who can. Third option would be to pay the current owner to drive it to your storage location for an extra cost.

You will also have to get vehicle registration of course, again depending on your state as to how soon you must get it. In WI there is a line "when did you first drive it in the state" because they require it to be registered within 2 days of purchasing (which is when you get your plates)

Check online and/or with your local DMV for your state's regulations
and also know what it takes to get registration and change title to Motor Home. If your state requires an inspection before getting registration, you will probably have to register it as a bus. I got lucky and was able to register it as a motor home immediately (registration not title)
Old 01-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhousebus View Post
And if it is registered as a school bus you are also required to have a CDL.
Not necessarily so. Check with YOUR state's requirements concerning a license for operating a bus. PLEASE don't rely on what you hear from others regarding a CDL or endorsements. Get the facts from YOUR state's DMV or State Police.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Not necessarily so. Check with YOUR state's requirements concerning a license for operating a bus. PLEASE don't rely on what you hear from others regarding a CDL or endorsements. Get the facts from YOUR state's DMV or State Police.
It does vary depending on where you are, good advice from Capt Squid.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Like I said multiple times in my post, it depends on your state's regulations. If that was unclear regarding the CDL, I apologize. I don't claim to be an expert by any means. All I know is in WI/MN if the vehicle can seat 16 or more passengers one is required to be in possession of a CDL. As CaptSquid said, please check with your local authorities about registration/title/insurance/license requirements. I called two of my local DMVs and one in MN (where I bought the bus) and actually explained what I wanted to do, as well as researched on the DMV websites before I purchased the bus.
P.S. If someone tells you your current insurance will cover a new vehicle/bus purchase that may or may not be true. I called my insurance to check specifically regarding a bus and they said it would not be covered.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Roger checking local requirements. In Texas...if it is still registered as a bus (of any size)...you gotta' have a CDL. Switch to RV and nothing more than a regular drivers license is needed.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhousebus View Post
Like I said multiple times in my post, it depends on your state's regulations. If that was unclear regarding the CDL, I apologize. I don't claim to be an expert by any means. All I know is in WI/MN if the vehicle can seat 16 or more passengers one is required to be in possession of a CDL. As CaptSquid said, please check with your local authorities about registration/title/insurance/license requirements. I called two of my local DMVs and one in MN (where I bought the bus) and actually explained what I wanted to do, as well as researched on the DMV websites before I purchased the bus.
P.S. If someone tells you your current insurance will cover a new vehicle/bus purchase that may or may not be true. I called my insurance to check specifically regarding a bus and they said it would not be covered.
That part about the insurance is very crucial. I did the same and was informed that NO I would not be covered.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
Skoolie

so i just bought my bus on publicsurplus and am picking it up on monday and am driving it from oregon to southern cali. how do i know if it has insurance and or plates before i get there or do auctioned vehicles like this never have any? should i contact oregon dmv and ask about temp plates or whatever or cali dmv? also im assuming ill prob have to call an insurance company, anyone know of any good commercial vehicle insurance companies or will any company work?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Public auctions are like all sales lots - no plates. Usually, though, you have a set period of time to move the vehicle with just the bill of sale. As for insurance, start with your own agent.

As for licensing/titling, you MUST contact DMV.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
va. has transport tags for 5 bucks, well worth it. check your local dmv
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Nevada has a temp movement permit you can pick up at the DMV I believe they are good for 10 day's .

Depending on your state insurance laws insurance companies must issue at least a liability policy .

They do not however have to give you the very best rates state farm has several so called companies all , owned by them from the premium great rates one to the only way you can get covered is in the state high risk pool most agents will not tell you about the SR "Stated Required minimum coverage " 22 as its called in some areas because state farm or whichever company pays the agents based on how few claims come thru their agency and the underwriters want them to limit risk as much as possible so pay less to agents on high risk policies .
SR 22 is the risk pool that DUI and never had insurance before and I got a ticket and they took my plates until I have proof of insurance types .

Very good friend is a retired agent from State Farm and now has a farm bureau office . That's where I am getting my info He said to contact your state insurance board and ask for the coverage under the mandatory coverage laws .
This may not be true in every state .
Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
To my knowledge, all states have some form of temporary or "in transit" tags avail (?).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #20

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
va. has transport tags for 5 bucks, well worth it. check your local dmv
I wish Oregon was that cheap. I had to pay $30 for a 10 day tag. I also had to show proof of insurance to get it. They wanted to charge me more since the GVW was 14050#. I said no thanks, just give me the one for under 10k GVW.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote