Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
got a bus in TX how do I drive it away?

Ok so i sort of bid on an auction, then sort of won! yeoow! so now I have need to pick up a bus in texas and drive it to ohio or florida..

im assuming i'll get a clear title from the auction company.. but in the houston area, how do I get a tag of some sort to drive it across the country ?

is there a way to get a temp tag in texas even though im an ohio resident?

if I just put a sign on it that says "vehicle in transit" am I gonna get bugged by every statie from texas to florida?

what have other out-of-staters done when buying in texas and driving out?

Go!
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Rated Cap: 72
We recently bought ours in Maryland and we live in Florida. We were able to get the title mailed to us. With the title, buyer's certificate, insurance, and driver's license I was able to walk out of the DMV with a temporary tag (30 days). I just stated that the vehicle was out of state and I needed a way to legally get it down. If they try to give you a hard time maybe ask for another person. I had to talk to two different people, one of which gave me the okay for a temp tag. They did ask the empty shipping weight of the bus and luckily I was able to find it online. I would suggest having this info as well.
That was two weeks ago and now I am trying to get it registered as a RV. I found a forum on here from 2 years back with info on that. Not sure which state you live in but it wasn't too much of hassle here in Florida. Congratulations and good luck!!
-Lindsay
lindsaydagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

I live in ohio and florida.. but I reg all my vehicles in ohio(insurance and tags are simple in ohio.. its under 26k GVWR and removing seats in ohio constitutes capacity change so I'll do like I did my old Bluebird and reg it as a passenger van... the auctioneer needs the busses removed much quicker than a title will be mailed to me.. I understand people just drive them off the auction lot.. I think I'll call down there and see if they can be of help or I can get an extension on the removal date even if i have to pay a storage fee..

-Christopher
Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

Year: 2002
Rated Cap: 72
Yeah we had to have it off the site after 5 business days of the auction closing. I just paid for it to be overnighted ($20) and went the next day to the tax collector's office then flew up and drove it down.
lindsaydagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Texas issues temporary or "transit" tags that are good for 30 days and accepted in all other states.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Texas issues temporary or "transit" tags that are good for 30 days and accepted in all other states.

perfect! thanks.. so sounds like the plan is to pick it up and drive baby drive!
-Christopher
Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
You "sorta" bid on a bus? LMAO!

You've got skoolie-friends in Texas. If you need anything, holler.

Which auction/bus did you "sorta" win?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
You "sorta" bid on a bus? LMAO!

You've got skoolie-friends in Texas. If you need anything, holler.

Which auction/bus did you "sorta" win?
hehe well I was mildly looking for another bus and I wanted to learn how to use these auctions so I put a pretty low bid in but enough I could watch the proxy feature work.. and yeah i won lol..

cy-fair independent school district auction.
its a 2000 Bluebird 6 row short bus T444E / allison ? (chilichz looked at it in person and said it didnt look like a 545 or an MT643 so not sure which trans is in it? since it is a lighter duty chassis it may be a 1000?)..
appears to have white roof, tinted windows, and maybe A/C.. (it had it at one time dont know if it all is still there and works or not).

the dash looks like hydraulic brakes but the video has an air compressor under the hood so maybe its Air-ride?

alas anyway my aim is to drive it from cypress tx to either florida or ohio.

when I talked to the lady on the phone from the auctioneer she said my bill of sale that includes the VIN acts as a transit registration? ive never heard of that before.. im still not convinced that the cops will like that if I get stopped.. but then maybe yellow school busses minding their own business and not speeding or being reckless are ignored on the freeway...

my first bus came from a dealer so it was like a car, i had a title, and a temporary tag and no one bothered me..

the auctioneer mails the titles to the registered address from their office so i wont have a physical title in hand..

-Christopher
Old 09-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
CK,

Hope ya stop on by Katy! I'd love to show off HF to ya as well. We have an extra room if you want to crash out overnight and get a good shower in the morning.

We can get you from any of the Houston area airports and help you save on taxis and so on.

Let us know if we can help!

M
Old 09-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Bus Geek

this rocks!! TX made this easy.. i called the texas DMV.. and the nice lady said "you can go online and make yourself a temp tag for your new bus..

so I did! typed in the VIN number, my insurance policy number, name, address, and a credit card and BAM! a temporary tag popped up on my screen!!

so im licensed, insured, and too cool for school!

-Christopher
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this rocks!! TX made this easy.. i called the texas DMV.. and the nice lady said "you can go online and make yourself a temp tag for your new bus..

so I did! typed in the VIN number, my insurance policy number, name, address, and a credit card and BAM! a temporary tag popped up on my screen!!

so im licensed, insured, and too cool for school!

-Christopher
Wow, that turned out great for you. Was the temp tag around $25.00?

I'm within rock throwing distance of Cy-Fair so if you need anything at all please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
CK,

Hope ya stop on by Katy! I'd love to show off HF to ya as well. We have an extra room if you want to crash out overnight and get a good shower in the morning.

We can get you from any of the Houston area airports and help you save on taxis and so on.

Let us know if we can help!

M

I would totally Love to meet up!

my plan right now is to rent a car and drive from tampa to cypress.. do all the paperwork, get the keys and get the bus off their lot, even if i just drive it to a hotel lot somewhere..

this way i can take TOOLS! the mistake i made on the first bus was I flew down and started the trek home only to break down and have no way to fix anything... so this time id rather have a big ole box of tools in the bus just in case.. and hope i never crack it open...

hey thanks for the offer to crash!!. I'll probably get a hotel as i may have an overnight server update to do mion night or tues night.. that usually involves being on the phone alot.

back to the plan.. would be to get the bus, take it to the hotel, then the rental has to go back to Hobby..

it looks like from the internet that I-10 has tons of construction on it heasding east from texas so I may choose to run alot at night. (or may not just because daylight is easier if i do bust)

timing-wise ill likely make sunday a long drive day into cypress, chill for the night at homewood suites (I have a zillion hilton points), then monday go get the bus! drive it around a bit just to make sure its ready for a trek, then way early AM start the trek across the I-10.. (before the houston rush hour starts.. )

-Christopher
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Wow, that turned out great for you. Was the temp tag around $25.00?

I'm within rock throwing distance of Cy-Fair so if you need anything at all please do not hesitate to ask.

thsat was exactly it! 25 bucks and zap!

wow sounds like we need a little skoolie monday night dinner!!

totally appreciate all the offers to meet and help! i think this will be fun!
-Christopher
Old 09-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Congrats that's really cool!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
And they say the Goverment is not here to help. I tried putting TRAVELER on my plates. They just laughed, then asked if I had bail money.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #16
Bus Nut

IF any of ya'll meet up, anywhere in the Houston area, I'd really like to join you. Sounds like Tango is somewhere between I-10 and Washington, but I'm fine with Katy or Cy-Fair, as well. I'm just beginning my "trip" but I got planz!
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
Bus Geek

so who is all up for a meet-up? my night is monday night to do it.. not sure if I'll have the new bus yet or not.. depends on whether I get in soon enough to retrieve it monday or if I have to wait till tuesday AM.. i will have a car and I do have a hotel at the homewood suites in cypress..

im pretty plain jane on my eats... steaks, burgers, pizza, italian, bar food.. not into seafood or fancy smancy...

since I'll be driving sunday / monday I cant easily contact everyone so we kind of need to do this impromptu on here..

my phone is 614-570-3657.. if you call and im on the road in traffic, I wont answer.. if you text, I'll not answer it till i stop.. (I do stop often as I drink all kinds of water and soda on the road.. Forces me to stop often for breaks = no fatigue...

lets do it!
-Christopher
Old 09-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'll be around. And how'za'bout Mexican? Plenty of that around here.

Hey M & Flyboy & any other Houston area skoolie bums...chime in if you are interested.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Being, that I'm the new kid on the block, and retired, any time is ok.

I can pretty much assure you that the traffic on 290, from town, headed out towards Cypress, will be a bear. (I'm talking a BIG bear any time after 3:00) If my guess, about where Tango is located, is correct, it may be a good area to meet, to wait out the traffic.

Just my 2 cents,

Drive safe
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
I'll be in lufkin with my bus in a week. It'll look a little mad max, no RV Windows in yet. But going to finish the rest of the conversion in TX.
Gotta get 1 year residency for law school for in state tuition