Wheeee!! the bus is at the hotel and so is the car
I thought Iwas going to have an issue because the VIN tag over the driver window is missing, but all is good, the VIN tag under the hood is intact and the numbers match.. so all is good there.
it started right up.. uponinspection it lookslike the batteries are brande new.. i didnt pull the tray out but the labels on the sides arent even dirty!
the gaugesare a little finicky..but its an IHC... my carpenter was the same way till I took the panel out andcleaned the little contacts... they all work it just takes them a couple moinutes to get going... whew! i was afraid I had zero oil pressure at first.. until i realized all the gauges were dead and the engine was running quietly... no oil P on a 7.3 and the injector rail wouldnt work right... once the gauge came to life it popped instantly to life...
the bus has all kinds of bells and whistles im not accustomed to..
1. air ride (I do have this on my carpenter)
2. disc brakes.. (I have 4 drums on the carpenter)
3. air seat
4. a cool little variable cruise / throttle thing.. I can set my RPMs to hold at whatever I want.. or I can flip the little switch and its a cruise control like a car has...
5. power heated mirrors!
6. tilt wheel!
7. Transair A/C - and it works!! i kicked that badboy on and it got cold right away.. nice that its Transair and not carrier as i can still get parts as transair is still in business..
8. pinhole ceiling.. makes it quiet inside.. wow how the tinted windows and white roof make it cooler inside.
9. Locking air School bus door. love the fact i can lock it.. no having to climb out the back door to lock the bus..
10. many more gauges than im used to. of course it has an air gauge since theres air accessories.. it also has amps and volts.. and a transmission temp. of course it also has temp, oil pressure, tach, speed.
11. looks like good tires.. they are tiny at 225/70R19.5 (as chilichz noted when he looked at it).. I noticed a couple other busses have those little wheels and tires...
things it doesnt have
1. alot of heaters.. its a texas bus, not sure how warm it will stay in ohio.. but i may make it a summer runner...
2. overdrive.. it drives like it has an AT545 although its quieter than the 545 on the carpenter.. it shifts nicely through all its gears.. AT545 doesnt biother me.. ive had it in every bus and its a non issue... esp in a lighter weight bus.. I ran the speedometer up to 65 though I dont know if thats accurate because of the small tires.. they dont necessarily look like the bus came with those? I cant tell since the interior tag is missing. they dont ride too bad.
3. Rust! it doesnt look like there is much if any rust... theres paint oxidation but it looks pretty clean underneath and on the sides..
4. a Doghouse! the floor is nice n flat with just an access plate of some sort.
overall at first glance it seems pretty good.. 1050 miles to st pete will certainly make anything show up thats marginal.
theres a little oil seepage around the valve cover gaskets but doesnt look like anything bad,
theres a little seepage of steering fluid around the steering gear... new seal kits exist to fixthat easily..
theres a little fuel "wetness" on what looks like the fuel filter on top of the engine... again it didnt look too bad..
when I was driving it.. at one point all the air pressure on the dash went down to 20.. I could hear it hissing underneath.. then went back up...
I dont have air brakes so I wasnt too concerned.. I then was reading online where there are automatic air-tank drain valves for units that dont have Bendix Air dryers?
ever heard of that? it went right back up so i wasnt too concerned about it...
my phone went dead when i was taking a few pics so I'll have to post them after I get some charge.