Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #121
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
FINALLY! A pic!
Beautiful bus, Christopher! I NEED one like that!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the tires are small.. 225/70R19.5s , the computer is programmed for a bus with 3.56 rears. and my speedo is accurate .. so it was ordered this way... i was told it was for elementary kids... the door step is lower for short little legs. alot of the seats are built in child seats so that makes sense...

it will run at 70 redlined.. I ran it at 65.. the tires are 32" tall, 35" tires are an easy upgrade with no issues which would allow me to drop some RPM;s off my 65 MPH speed if i feel the need...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #123
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Since it seems to be going well, I take full credit for looking at it, may Ohio enjoy some Texas spiders.

Also, don't most people LEAVE Ohio for the winter?
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #124
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Sounds like a very successful shakedown Cadillac. Congrats on the run.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #125
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliChzPoopTart View Post
Since it seems to be going well, I take full credit for looking at it, may Ohio enjoy some Texas spiders.

Also, don't most people LEAVE Ohio for the winter?

and i give you full credit for braving the spiders abnd the searing texas heat to go look at those busses.

yeah most people are headed south.. I picked a week where its unseasonably warm.. (80s) and came here.. but as that cold front blows throug hthis weekend.. I'll be heading back to st pete!.

the bus will stay here to get painted... i have to be back mid november for a business meeting, and I'll drive it back then..

it *IS* nice to be back where I have all my tools and supplies to work on stuff though..

supposed to rain all day thursday.. that will be a good time to fix the dash.. I got the tranny temp sensor for it and a fuel pressure regulator update that has a decent shot at fixing the #8 injector cackle..
-Christopher
Old 10-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
The 85 GMC rides 65 on the highway so i am just cozy with that. Speed past 65 is not my thing, however i sure liked how quickly a Honda Magna with a V4 pulled me up to that height lol
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #127
Bus Geek

I stuck a new Fuel Pressure regulator in the Bird this morning... it was part of a TSI from international to help with Injector cackle.. but I also noted that said regulator raised the pressure from 47 PSI to 72 PSI.. and was made factory standard early in the next model year..

so I put it on... it aseems to habve made the engine quieter and also seems to me more responsive off the line than it was.. the T-444E seemed to already have decent power in a short bus once the revs are up.. now i actually have some power off the line... its pretty chilly here today so I dont know if the engine has gotten hot enough where it wouldve had the injector knock or not.. but I believe it would have.. and I havent noticed the injector knock it previously had..

im still not convinced the T-stat is working right.. I get quite a bit of heat into the radiator even way before the bus should be warmed up.. so i have 2 Tstats.. a 180 and a 190.. im not sure which one im going to stuff in there... probably the 180 just because I like the idea of my diesel running below 200..

alas I was all over on finding the color for it... I knew I wanted a shade of red.. I went to the paint shop to ask for help.. when I noticed a Prevost in there which is in the process of being painted.. Oh My!! exactly one of the colors i had marked as moist likely candidates... I took that as a sign!..

I know you all will call me crazy for going with that color.. but hey!!

below is a sample from a coach they are in the process of painting..

-Christopher
Old 10-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #128
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I stuck a new Fuel Pressure regulator in the Bird this morning... it was part of a TSI from international to help with Injector cackle.. but I also noted that said regulator raised the pressure from 47 PSI to 72 PSI.. and was made factory standard early in the next model year..
Is that on the side of the filter housing? Do you have the model # for that fuel pressure regulator? I may do the same fix..
Old 10-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #129
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Is that on the side of the filter housing? Do you have the model # for that fuel pressure regulator? I may do the same fix..
yes and its easy to replace... it is a brass nut on the side.. my bus has a return line plumbed off of this.. im not sure if this is stock on the IHC? i know on the ford 7.3 it is not...

this design is also for the later Model ECM's.. I dont know if it affects the earlier pre-97 engines or not.. the TSI didnt say.

the IHC part number is 1830915C91. I ordered it from my local IHC dealer.. (rush truck center in COlumbus ohio).. it took a couple days to get it..

I separated all of the parts as I took them out because i needed to clear my Air-Conditioner hose.

before you buy the part, make sure you need it... put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port and make sure you are running in that 45-50 PSI range at idle... your gauge may appear to puilse..

if you have 65-70 then you dont need the new spring kit.. supposedly you can tell by looking the nut.. if the nuit is notched then its already updated.. if its smooth its not (supposedly)..

the higher pressure regulator was made factory equipment at some point...

NOTE -I only know of this for the T-444E, I dont know if it applies to the DT-466E but I think not...

its main purpose is to quiet the 'tap....tap.tap....tap-tap-tap " you hear at idle after the engine warms up... I just felt that anything which was made factory original and altered fuel pressure would be a nice update to make..

I was told by the guy at the dealer that I could bring the bus in at some point and have the ECM updated (for a shop charge).. as he said likely itsn ever been done.. and some worthy software changes were made..

Service-maxx is not meant for upgrading the firmware.. the dealer has more access to the engine software than we have with Servicemaxx

-Christopher
Old 10-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #130
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
I think it's a great color Christopher. It's your bus, do what makes you happy .
Old 11-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #131
Bus Geek

And REDBYRD is born!!!!

no I cant take the credit for the color work.. a professional painted it since i dont have such skills....

-Christopher
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #132
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
Holy Toledo... That is sharp! They even painted the bird!!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Damn.....that looks really nice. Congrats !!!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #134
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Very sharp!!!!!! Love it!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #135
Bus Nut

Quote:
im going up to the bus today I'll try their software with the NEXIQ and see if it picks it up..

if I can get my Surface pro to not run too hot it could be a nice addition to the dash..

-Christopher
Hey Chris, just curious, did that Silverleaf Electronic "VMSpec" SW ever work with your NEXIQ connector?
Old 11-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #136
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Lookin rather dapper, man!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Outstanding Chris! Just WAY cool.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #138
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Wish I could afford to do that with mine. Does that mean you are back in the land of cold?
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #139
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
And REDBYRD is born!!!!

no I cant take the credit for the color work.. a professional painted it since i dont have such skills....

-Christopher
Beautiful!!! Can I ask how much it cost to have it painted? I am thinking of having mine down professionally, as well... almost afraid to ask, lol

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #140
Bus Geek

thanks guys!! im really pleased with it... my purpose for it isnt like most of the skoolies here... i plan t ouse it as close to a daily driver as is possible with a school bus... its gonna get chrome wheel simulators, underside LED lights and of course a nice stereo.. (and likely my custom Dash A/C..)..

wanderwoman - its $3600 out the door... they removed all the school lights, lettering, reflecive tape, etc.. then blocked the body removed lights and hardware, primed, painted, cleared, cut and buffed.

the red bird.. the shop owner is a biut of a bus geek.. the place is a toy-land for those of use that Love Busses and campers... when I asked if the bird could be saved should the roof need repainted white.. he suggested "why dont we make the bird red?" well heck yeah make the bird red how cool!!

it turns out Blue bird still makes the logo plates that go on the side and rear bumper of the bus.. so I ordered new ones.. the new ones have the same blue bird lettering as the originals with the newer modern logo they started around year 2000 (with the vision).. how cool for a modernized old bus..

-Christopher