Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've got a couple hundred feet of chain link fence I took down off a friend's property for him. Maybe I'll go get a fence permit and put that up. I can get some of the plastic privacy strips that go in the chain link maybe.
Gona cost me $900 if I have to buy wood panel privacy fence at lowes. Not including the treated posts.
I'm gona call up the city and try to play nice first.
my next door neighbor has a 35 foot box truck, I wonder if he got a letter.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:06 AM   #22
Bus Geek

I wonder if going to the city commission meeting tonight at 6 would do me any good.
Would they even give me the chance to bring up my grievance?
I was thinking I'd tell them I'm painting it and converting it to an RV, since there are a ton of broke down rv's all over town.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
maybe because its still yellow? let me guess once it is white theyd never notice it..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I wonder if going to the city commission meeting tonight at 6 would do me any good.
Would they even give me the chance to bring up my grievance?
I was thinking I'd tell them I'm painting it and converting it to an RV, since there are a ton of broke down rv's all over town.

Most municipal meetings have a public speaks out portion at the beginning... that said action by the commission or council generally can't be taken during a public comment period. I would look up the exact code you are violating as others have mentioned... then try to work with the code enforcement official directly before escalating. You never know what pears of wisdom you might learn if you make nice with the guy low on the totem pole....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cailenwaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Sage advice right there. I once was the subject of a complaint of overgrown weeds and a shed I'd built in the back yard. I went to visit the code enforcement guy at his office to ask in a pleasant and friendly way what he needed me to do and on what time schedule. He revealed that the complaint on my property was received via a voice message left by an after-hours anonymous caller, and that the same caller had a whole list of complaints up and down my street. He speculated that the caller might be one of the people who makes a habit of doing their exercise walking up and down my street.. with a note pad. It was useful for me to understand that the complainant wasn't any of my back yard neighbors, and all I had to do to avoid future complaints was keep things out of view from the sidewalk as much as possible.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
They're saying I can't have a bus in my driveway. Odd as there are several in the city.
I really hate this town now, and am going to go to city hall tomorrow.
Land of the free my ass!

Sorry to hear of this CB. if it ain't it writing you don't have a problem. It's up to them to prove their position first. I'd hold off on fence ideas for now till they can show you the bylaws involved and apply it fairly as in serving your neighbour also.
Not a bad idea to go the meeting to see how that works as to speaking on your position. Sometimes you have to ask ahead of time to speak at a particular meeting.

For now I have put a curse on those boys!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Most code enforcement departments are reactive not proactive.
I.e. they not act upon a complaint from a citizen.
And some will ignore anonymous complaints.

If "they" are out to get your property, then your neighbors must have received violations as well?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #28
Bus Nut

The cheapest fix might be to paint "ECCB Bulk Limo Service"
On the sides of bus (s) and claim them to be your source of income.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
The cheapest fix might be to paint "ECCB Bulk Limo Service"
On the sides of bus (s) and claim them to be your source of income.
That would remove any doubt that the bus is a commercial vehicle and commercial vehicles are what many code enforcement departments are trying to keep out of peoples driveways. In most areas, if the bus is titled as an RV they'll leave you alone.

It really pays to know the local code before bringing a bus home.

Definitely talk nice to the code people.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Deisel
Rated Cap: 6 carbon units 1 drag car
Got pinched myself in November. I know who called in the past and when I moved home from NC to my house in MI I went and talked to the person(little old lady across the street with nothing better to do). I talked to the Code officer, he said they messed up writing the citation and I had to move it to a spot that I had never had to before. I told him I had it parked where I was parked for years prior. Well we messed up and wrote it as a school bus.

Great so out comes the fence I just put it in.

Now I am moving and have it in the front of the house...lol Called the code officer and told him, I am moving, it will be there for the next week or so then gone and thanked him for working with me through the years. Also told him not to come down the street because if she called on me some of the other neighbors would get nailed as their campers are in the drives for spring maint. He was cool and said he wouldn't roll down the street and if she called he would tell her I had called to pre-empt her.

Just wish the race car was ready I would do a burn out in front of her house and play dumb later.
produster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71
Start with code research.
I have 2 entities to deal with - HOA and City

The neighbors complain to the HOA all the time....
(max stay 24hrs in a 7 day period)

The HOA got tired and sent out code enforcement. The officer was pleasant and indicated that a 'school bus' could only be parked a maximum of 1 hour for loading and unloading. I read the code for RV's in our city (we're titled as an RV). I sent an email to code enforcement referencing their codes as they apply to RV's, and stating that we are an RV NOT a school bus. The code allows me to have the bus stored on the property (covered) indefinitely, and parked on the street for 14days. That was 7 years ago, and I have not heard a peep since.

I still get notices from the HOA occasionally, as I stretch their rules often, but haven't been fined yet!

Good Luck!
ColoradoCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
maybe because its still yellow? let me guess once it is white theyd never notice it..
-Christopher

No color hasn't anything to with it. THis is a "graphic" of prohibited vehicles in my city. NO overnight parking allowed anywhere in the city!
I'm going to a commission meeting tonight. Gonna play the "rv" angle.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailenwaddell View Post
Most municipal meetings have a public speaks out portion at the beginning... that said action by the commission or council generally can't be taken during a public comment period. I would look up the exact code you are violating as others have mentioned... then try to work with the code enforcement official directly before escalating. You never know what pears of wisdom you might learn if you make nice with the guy low on the totem pole....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The code guy is in bed with the real estate mafia running this town. The entire city commission are either relatives or business associates of Mayor Holland. Land development rich guys.
Ever since they bought half my neighborhood the problems started. THey wrote me up for my 1986 ranger. Said it was "ugly". Its tagged and insured!
I had to get the city manager involved to be allowed to keep my pickup truck!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Most code enforcement departments are reactive not proactive.
I.e. they not act upon a complaint from a citizen.
And some will ignore anonymous complaints.

If "they" are out to get your property, then your neighbors must have received violations as well?
They've simply had it out for me for quite a while now.
My house isn't even bad at all. Looks like a normal house and yard. I have neighbors who don't mow at all and have a broke down NPR box truck in their yard! its been there at least ten years.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:

No color hasn't anything to with it. THis is a "graphic" of prohibited vehicles in my city. NO overnight parking allowed anywhere in the city!
I'm going to a commission meeting tonight. Gonna play the "rv" angle.
Make sure you let us know how it goes tonight? If I remember right your title still says "bus" right?
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
THey wrote me up for my 1986 ranger. Said it was "ugly". Its tagged and insured!
I had to get the city manager involved to be allowed to keep my pickup truck!
LOL
They would have a new level of "ugly" they never imagined could be created by me soon after that notice.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Go to the meeting tonight even if you can't speak. They want you to speak as a matter of fact, which will in effect , make it that you are "contracting" with the city officials. That you don't want as you are then going to be caught in their trap. And it is a trap so make them work for every inch of what they want. You don't have to say anything or write anything at all at this point as it was only a verbal spanking you got.
Be silent and just carry on till they try and turn up the heat. I'll pm you later Charlie but hang in and not to worry my man.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Hmm. Your roof line doesn't match their graphic. What about the windows, aren't some of them blanked? How many more must go or change shape in order to be substantially different? (or is this issue about the daily driver shorty, not the RYO?) An MCI or VanHool doesn't look anything like what they show there, for instance, so clearly prohibiting "all buses" isn't the intent of the regulation..

At the level of detail they show a Wanderlodge doesn't match the prohibited types only because its window size and count differs as does the door placement. You can totally make similar mods on yours.

I wonder where the actual school buses go at night -- they have to park outside city limits, or is there some conditional use permit process that allows them to be kept on a lot somewhere inside city limits?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Hmm. Your roof line doesn't match their graphic. What about the windows, aren't some of them blanked? How many more must go or change shape in order to be substantially different? (or is this issue about the daily driver shorty, not the RYO?) An MCI or VanHool doesn't look anything like what they show there, for instance, so clearly prohibiting "all buses" isn't the intent of the regulation..

At the level of detail they show a Wanderlodge doesn't match the prohibited types only because its window size and count differs as does the door placement. You can totally make similar mods on yours.

I wonder where the actual school buses go at night -- they have to park outside city limits, or is there some conditional use permit process that allows them to be kept on a lot somewhere inside city limits?
I went to city hall and after a long back and forth with the mouth breather at the front desk, she produced the city development director.
They said I can build a bus shed, or fence my yard in. But I told em "what if I have it titled as an RV?" they said bring in RV registration and they'll have a discussion about allowing me to keep it.
So BS!!!!
Apparently they changed the city parking regs LAST MONTH!!!! That's SOOOO BS!
I don't wanna change my title, won't the ins co find out and ditch me???
Progressive doesn't insure "converted school buses" and I don't even really wanna convert the shorty. ITs nice just how it is, IMO.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
real estate mafia running this town.
Maybe they'll get the point if they wake up to the severed head of their prize winning race horse in their bed... I've heard that works on those types...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote