Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #21
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Your right, that would be a B plate. Sadly, they would expect to go off the data tag mounted some where above the seat.

I was curious why they didnt give me an "H" plate but in the end a "B" is better. Honestly, I'm not even sure they use "H" plates they may be a hold over from the old days.

Look at the pick up trucks, any F-250 (3/4 ton+) and above normally have a "B" plate. Greer Lime stone quarry won't even load sand or what not if your truck doesn't have a "B" plate. Otherwise they get in trouble from the state for "overloading" the truck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Last week I went to the DMV and was pleasantly surprised to learn that West Virginia plates motor homes as cars. Note that an RV in WV is a motorcycle, ATV, etc. There was absolutely no hassle. They didn't need pictures or ask questions about seating past or present.

Everything was straight forward. I now have a Bluebird bus registered as a car.

In addition the Bluebird factory called and gave me the info that was put on the bulkhead plate. The bus is a 30,000 GVW vehicle with an 8,500 load capacity. The engineer said that shop and operators manuals are available through the dealers.
WVDarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
Skoolie

Glad it went so good for you! My title had "BUS" in big letters and they just looked at me when said it was an RV. Lol. I tried at least. Again, Great Job!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

You must have run into a clerk that didn't G.A.S. The magic words in WV are not RV or recreational vehicle. A bus is not a recreational vehicle by code. I never said RV or recreational vehicle. I said I wanted to register a mobile home. That eliminated the need for decision making by the clerk. Bus was never mentioned.

You should be able to get a title correction. There have been times when I went to Charleston to register vehicles due to their expertise. FWIW, they used to be the only office open on Saturday.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #25
Skoolie

I'll look into it, the other option Charleston gave me is to send in photos of the converted bus. My tags are currently dead, I will need to make a trip to the DMV soon anyways, I'll try your way.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I find it good to keep cracking jokes with the DMV clerk and not offer any unsolicited vehicle information. They know over 2601 lbs is a different category, but they don't seem to know the manufacturers gross weights.

I'm driving a '97 TC1000, which looks the same as the short TC2000. The difference is you've got 22.5" wheels, as well as wheel wells inside your bus. All my data plates are currently in the scrap metal pile with all the other interior panels but I could get the data plate information if it'll help you.

I've still got to figure out where to put my data plates when I get my interior finished.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I find it good to keep cracking jokes with the DMV clerk and not offer any unsolicited vehicle information. They know over 2601 lbs is a different category, but they don't seem to know the manufacturers gross weights.

I'm driving a '97 TC1000, which looks the same as the short TC2000. The difference is you've got 22.5" wheels, as well as wheel wells inside your bus. All my data plates are currently in the scrap metal pile with all the other interior panels but I could get the data plate information if it'll help you.

I've still got to figure out where to put my data plates when I get my interior finished.
That's a great idea!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

I picked up the bus in Miami a few weeks ago and drove it home (1,000 mi). The air ride seat tried to launch me each time the bus went over a bump. The Cummins did well in the mountains. So far so good.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #29
Bus Geek

If you'd like to slow that seat down from bouncing get a new shock absorber for it. Pretty simple.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! That would be simple.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Yeah, simple, but I haven't done it yet either.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDarren View Post
I picked up the bus in Miami a few weeks ago and drove it home (1,000 mi). The air ride seat tried to launch me each time the bus went over a bump. The Cummins did well in the mountains. So far so good.
You may want to try different air pressure in your seat.

I have found over the years that because I am a large economy sized person that I tend to have to have the air pressure in the seat pretty hard. If I don't when I hit a bump it will force the seat down against the bumper on the bottom. That really starts to hurt after a few miles.

You also don't want the air pressure so high that the seat won't bounce at all. At that point it sort of defeats the whole purpose of having an air seat.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote