Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Gvw?

I'm about to register a 2003 Bluebird TC in WV. West Virginia plates motor homes like a car or truck depending on the GVW. The vehicle is a short 30 passenger. So far I haven't gotten any weight info based on the VIN from a Bluebird dealer. They gave me the Bluebird shop number. So far, no one has returned my call.

I'm looking for suggestions on what weight to register the motor home. My first inclination is to register it at 26,000 GVW. But I'm not sure where it'll end up after the conversion.

WVDarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Should be a data plate somewhere that has gvw or gvwr . Check under the hood and the door jambs maybe close to the drivers seat.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

That's the problem. The bus is in Florida, the previous owner, a car dealer, is in Georgia and I'm in Pennsylvania. There's no way I can get the info off the bulkhead plate.

I'm hoping someone has a similar bus and can help me out.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDarren View Post
That's the problem. The bus is in Florida, the previous owner, a car dealer, is in Georgia and I'm in Pennsylvania. There's no way I can get the info off the bulkhead plate.

I'm hoping someone has a similar bus and can help me out.

Thanks for the reply.
Tell them something like half the gross.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I have no idea what the gross would be.

It looks like this.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Tell them something like half the gross.
you could, but.......

Does WV require VIN verification by the DMV or some other entity or a LEO, etc.?

Nobody in Florida can snap a pic of the data plate for you?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what about calling bluebird on the phone.. not just talking to a dealership... if you have the VIN, the vantage online doesnt show the GVWR?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

WV just wants the money. I've never had them check the VIN. They take the out of state title and the money for the sales tax, registration and plate. Sometimes they smile if you crack a joke.

They check your insurance info and look at the notarized bill of sale. As long as they get the bucks, they don't G.A.S. I know not to get an H plate (bus). That ropes you into a CDL.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I have a call into Bluebird. Bluebird corporate and the local dealer are useless. That's why the dealer gave me the number for the Bluebird factory. As posted before, I haven't gotten a call back.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ohio is same way, they just want the $$.. they do check the VIN in ohio but just to make sure your title and VIN match..

my carpenter was titled as a MotorHome.. and I showed up to the DMV in a bus full of seats.. the guy just looked and said "this thing is pretty cool, you are gonna have fun!".and that was it, i paid the man and bolted the tags on..

the weight class showed uop as over 26k GVWR but since it was a Motorhome title it didnt change the class in their computers.. does WV require weight-classing even on RV's?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

WV registers by weight with a fee schedule of increasing costs. I could register it as a motor home at 80,000 GVW or 10,000 GVW. They do not care. Chances are the state DOT cops will never stop me. If there's an accident, things will get scrutinized. If it's overweight, I'll have a problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
They ask for a registered weight, which may be anything less than or equal to the GVW, because they figure there's a relationship between their road maintenance costs and the actual weight of the vehicles driving on the road. I'm really not sure whether being found over the registered weight, but under GVW, would affect culpability, penalties, or insurance validity in an accident investigation -- it might only produce an extra tax evasion type charge. Being loaded over GVW could certainly give the insurer a free pass not to pay.

I believe that in Utah I can visit the motor vehicle office at any time to change my registered weight declaration and pay the difference in fee. I certainly know I can do it at the annual renewal; the weight isn't a one-time choice made when the title is issued. At least here it isn't. Might be worth asking how WV handles it.

I'd eyeball that bus as about 18,000 pounds empty. Choose something higher than that by a ton or two and change it later if necessary after you've done some conversion and put it on a scale.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
Skoolie

I'm in GA.

The tag lady asked the GVWR & I honesty thought she was asking how much it weighted. I told her 18500. I had no clue. It was just a guess. The data plate says 27500.
The only reason she wanted to know was so that she could charge the appropriate road tax for a large vehicle.
So, I hope I have avoided the whole CDL BS.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDarren View Post
I have no idea what the gross would be.

It looks like this.

Cool little bus. Looks clean.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
My 11 window 1998 TC 2000, 34' long has a gvw of 30,000lbs.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Will the GVWR be listed on the Gates VIN Decoder site?
Worth a try
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #17
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Welcome, I'm up in snow capital of Preston Co. Who did you talk to at the WV DMV? If you are converted and WV "Blessed it" then the RV tags are a regular "A" car tag. I haven't done mine yet, but they do want photos of the holding tanks, bathroom, inside and out side photo. The "A" plate I about $36 per year, well untill they raise it.

If you are not converted then you are required to use a "B" tag that is based on weight and when you register as they all renew July 1st or they prorate it to July 1st. It really doesn't matter what weight you tell them as the title "should" have the weight listed. While my bus had the wrong weight listed on the title (to my benift), who am to argue with the DMV about that.

Not everyone at the DMV knows how to handle everything so it's best to call Charleston and speak with some of the folks who have been around for a while. This when at the local DMV you can politly suggest they check with a supervisor if they start telling you something interesting.

As a side note the regular state inspection sticker is all you need converted or not. If your tires stick out past the body of the bus you may have to add a rubber strip along the wheel well. Just go to any wv school bus and you will see it. I did remove my stop sign and letters, spray painted my front red stop lenses black and rewired my rear reds into brake lights and all my top yellows into turn signals. I have never had a Problem with that configuration in WV or all the way to Orlando and back. One alwsome plus, NO ONE rides my tail at night. I'm pretty sure I can see the drivers pimples when I'm on my brakes at night. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Cool little bus. Looks clean.
That's a picture of a bus I found on the internet which is like mine.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Will the GVWR be listed on the Gates VIN Decoder site?
Worth a try
Gates has it as over 33,000.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Welcome, I'm up in snow capital of Preston Co. Who did you talk to at the WV DMV? If you are converted and WV "Blessed it" then the RV tags are a regular "A" car tag. I haven't done mine yet, but they do want photos of the holding tanks, bathroom, inside and out side photo. The "A" plate I about $36 per year, well untill they raise it.

If you are not converted then you are required to use a "B" tag that is based on weight and when you register as they all renew July 1st or they prorate it to July 1st. It really doesn't matter what weight you tell them as the title "should" have the weight listed. While my bus had the wrong weight listed on the title (to my benift), who am to argue with the DMV about that.

Not everyone at the DMV knows how to handle everything so it's best to call Charleston and speak with some of the folks who have been around for a while. This when at the local DMV you can politly suggest they check with a supervisor if they start telling you something interesting.

As a side note the regular state inspection sticker is all you need converted or not. If your tires stick out past the body of the bus you may have to add a rubber strip along the wheel well. Just go to any wv school bus and you will see it. I did remove my stop sign and letters, spray painted my front red stop lenses black and rewired my rear reds into brake lights and all my top yellows into turn signals. I have never had a Problem with that configuration in WV or all the way to Orlando and back. One alwsome plus, NO ONE rides my tail at night. I'm pretty sure I can see the drivers pimples when I'm on my brakes at night. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
The Georgia title doesn't list the weight. I called DMV in Charleston. They said it would be a regular plate based on weight rather than a bus H plate.