Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Don't mention camper,RV or anything like that. I am insured and registered as a bus for private use.
It is a commercial policy but for private use for something like 50$ for 6-months.
I doubt I will ever try to re-title as an RV/camper because why? It is built to be used as one and it is still my RV no matter what the registration says.
Don't have to re-title as an RV unless you want to be able to say I have an RV?
I say I have an old school bus that I made into an RV just not to the DMV or insurance company.
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Don't mention camper,RV or anything like that. I am insured and registered as a bus for private use.
It is a commercial policy but for private use for something like 50$ for 6-months.
I doubt I will ever try to re-title as an RV/camper because why? It is built to be used as one and it is still my RV no matter what the registration says.
Don't have to re-title as an RV unless you want to be able to say I have an RV?
I say I have an old school bus that I made into an RV just not to the DMV or insurance company.
Good luck
This sounds pretty good, but are there any downsides? Like licensing requirements? If it is not an RV doesn't that require special drivers licenses and endorsements which vary state to state? From what I read, once you can title it an RV you get out of a lot of the restricting licensing rules of it being a commercial vehicle.

Also, how does this play out if a major accident happened and it was clearly discovered to be an livable home/bus. Is there any risk the insurance company could deny claims?

and then another worry is, how do I insure a regular old "school bus" for the true cost of my improvements/replacement? I've spent A LOT more than the typical build and can't imagine them accepting a number even close to what has been put into this build.
ozthemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im on progressive commercial for personal use policies for both busses.. I didnt volunteer anything... told them my VIN, that they are busses and that I wasnt using them for commercial use.. and got a policy.. full coverage with declared value on BOTH busses for less than $1000 a year...

dont go online, dont go to the consumer section, CALL, it will come up as international '380' in their system. its a BUS ...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #14
Bus Geek

that is one awesome skoolie build!!
-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
First, it's not likely you're going to insure you bus for anything above liability. We're generally only offered liability in our bus policies.

Your bus, being already built, is a bit of a unique situation particularly including your interstate move. You'll figure it out, but not without headaches.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
First, it's not likely you're going to insure you bus for anything above liability. We're generally only offered liability in our bus policies.

Your bus, being already built, is a bit of a unique situation particularly including your interstate move. You'll figure it out, but not without headaches.
my progressive policy is declared value full coverage.. (keep your receipts, this does work.. as I got a great payout after my first bus burned because I could show receipts of what id done to it)..

-Christopher
Old 06-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Interesting. That's not even an option here through Progressive.

It seems the sentiment is this state has had enough of hippy buses. There is absolutely no distinction between well done buses and the older OMG hippy buses billowing smoke as they pass by.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

State Farm offers me full coverage.

Maybe the best course is to ask the agent or carrier that you are working with?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthemost View Post
This sounds pretty good, but are there any downsides? Like licensing requirements? If it is not an RV doesn't that require special drivers licenses and endorsements which vary state to state? From what I read, once you can title it an RV you get out of a lot of the restricting licensing rules of it being a commercial vehicle.

Also, how does this play out if a major accident happened and it was clearly discovered to be an livable home/bus. Is there any risk the insurance company could deny claims?

and then another worry is, how do I insure a regular old "school bus" for the true cost of my improvements/replacement? I've spent A LOT more than the typical build and can't imagine them accepting a number even close to what has been put into this build.
Hey JollyRoger, I was wondering if you had any more info on registering/insuring as a commercial vehicle and then driving without a CDL. All the research I did said if i don't re-title it as RV/Camper/Whatever there will be issues with special licenses and endorsements. Do you know anything about that? Or have any experience with police officers? Do you drive your bus around a lot? I plan on driving almost every day in it, and its going to draw a lot of attention, i have to be 100% legit.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
State Farm offers me full coverage.

Maybe the best course is to ask the agent or carrier that you are working with?
Hey Steve, that sounds awesome, did they ask you to send photos?

I have contacted 3 agents that specialize in RV insurance and they all say when they go to just do a quick "click and print" my bus type is not listed anywhere. So that requires them to then send photos to underwriting. Which is where everything is falling apart.

Looking for anything that couple help... i am still striking out at obtaining insurance.