Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

I dont use progressive, nor ever will as when I repair collision damage they always try to ding me on the payment. This slightly irritates me, but it may just be the salem guys. State farm is a good company, n one of my h.s. classmates is a agent for many yrs, however the cost is much higher than just online liability from one of the brand x insurors like national general and some others i cant think of right now. i have used the cheapest ones i can find for many yrs just to have the ins card, and never have had any problem.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthemost View Post
Hey Steve, that sounds awesome, did they ask you to send photos?

I have contacted 3 agents that specialize in RV insurance and they all say when they go to just do a quick "click and print" my bus type is not listed anywhere. So that requires them to then send photos to underwriting. Which is where everything is falling apart.

Looking for anything that couple help... i am still striking out at obtaining insurance.
There's your problem right there. You are trying to get *RV* insurance. You need to forget that. You are not insuring a factory built RV. You need to try Progressive Commercial and request "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use". Should be about $50/month.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 3/94
Coachwork: International
Chassis: In Flux
Engine: DT 466 , MT 643
Rated Cap: 84
great replies! Dido all that, just got progressive liability as a BUS conversion . It might help to say you bought the bus and it was already converted , by the looks of it no-one would argue what a wonderfull job you are very talented !
Busmanmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Hey Steve, that sounds awesome, did they ask you to send photos?

I have contacted 3 agents that specialize in RV insurance and they all say when they go to just do a quick "click and print" my bus type is not listed anywhere. So that requires them to then send photos to underwriting. Which is where everything is falling apart.

Looking for anything that couple help... i am still striking out at obtaining insurance.
Hey Oz,

Yes I have had to send photo's. First showing that all of the seats were removed. That was for commercial vehicle for personal use.

Later I had to send pictures of the completed conversion so they would change it to an RV policy.

BTW: State Farm is charging me $27/month for commercial. It will go down when I convert to RV.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Have you tried calling Good Sam?
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Sorry just went back to pg 1 & saw that you did.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
There's your problem right there. You are trying to get *RV* insurance. You need to forget that. You are not insuring a factory built RV. You need to try Progressive Commercial and request "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use". Should be about $50/month.
I keep asking about this but no-one seems to touch the question.

If i leave the bus titled as a commercial vehicle, a bus, then doesnt that change the licensing requirements to drive it? Dont I have to have a CDL or some other special endorsement if I dont change to RV/Camper/Bus-House on title?

I am going to be driving my bus all over the country and am going to get a lot of attention, police will pull me over for sure, i just need to be 100%
ozthemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

If i leave the bus titled as a commercial vehicle, a bus, then doesnt that change the licensing requirements to drive it? Dont I have to have a CDL or some other special endorsement if I dont change to RV/Camper/Bus-House on title?

I am going to be driving my bus all over the country and am going to get a lot of attention, police will pull me over for sure, i just need to be 100%
ozthemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #29
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:

If i leave the bus titled as a commercial vehicle, a bus, then doesnt that change the licensing requirements to drive it? Dont I have to have a CDL
You may have answered your own question.

The RV 'exemptions' (weight, air brake, length) are for motorhomes and RV's. SOME States may let you, but you said you need to be legal in ALL States. Municipal Police, Sheriff, State Police, DOT Police...all different interpretations, at times. Then Insurance.

Go to Community College and take the class- it was a blast- You get to drive semi trucks around and back-them up between cones. Interesting people, to boot.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I have my bus titled as a "van." It's not just RVs that are exempt from the commercial licenses, it's all private use vehicles with air brakes. I'm not required to have a commercial license, however I can't pass into Canada without an air brake endorsement. For me in this state that means I would have to have a class B license to pass through the border into Canada.

I would like to go to Alaska sometime, so unless I take the Alaska Ferry system I'll have to comply with Canada's rules requiring the air brake endorsement.

As has been said many times, you have to look this information up in your own state. If you're unable to find the information yourself, stop at the DMV and ask questions.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 41
Ozs' concern is legit

You are right Oz but what the right answer is for 50 state compliance could be impossible to generate. If you leave your title as a bus - the title will still base the licensing requirements on the GTVW and the commercial status of the bus. In Maryland, where I reside at the moment, my 29k GTVW is over 5 tons so that tips me over to a Class B license (non-commercial vehicle over 10k GTVW). Get this little gem - the only additional requirement to obtain a Class B license over a regular car Class A license is ..... paying the license fees. You guys will let me know if that somehow seems wrong or not.

Anyway when you get your title in RV style, GTVW is no longer mentioned even though some of the big ones are as heavy as a full load 18 wheeler. So yes, Oz there are license issues although Maryland's only turn out to be paying a license fee you've already paid, for a license you already have ...with a different letter on it
Old 07-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in OHIO, Oz is right.. if you leave your bus titled as a bus.. you must register it as a bus.. about twice the cosrt of a motorhome.. and if its FITTED for more than 15 adults (take the school bus markings off and you can use the adult seat capacity).. *OR* is over 26,000 lbs GVWR. then they recall a class B CDL. With a medical certificate on file.. which means if you have too high bloiod pressure, a heart flutter, certain medications etc you wont pass the CDL physical. title and reg as a motorhome and all that goes away. thats Ohio's rules..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote