Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawfarmer View Post
Oh and Allstate (said in deep voice) sent me a email saying sorry we had to cancel because the VIN says it’s a Box Truck. Total BS. I registered it this morning and there are a zillion versions of the 2001 GMC Savana the town hall had to scroll through and I’m think they didn’t even find the right one. Thanks for the help.
Did they ask you what it was at town hall?

What is it registered as now?

peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 PM   #22
Bus Geek

The VIN on these shows up as "unfinished", sold to custom finishers like Starcraft, Federal Coach, Champion etc

and yes more of these medium-duty units got built out as box trucks than skoolies or shuttle buses.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #23
Bus Geek

I'm looking for a 8.1L gasser btw if anyone comes across them, any body style but shorter the better.

Usually 4500 or 5500, the bigger ones are often forestry trucks would be nice, but pricey AF.

4WD would be a dream I think hen's teeth, need to convert that myself, but they say Rocky Mountain school districts ordered some.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

AIS insurance emailed me this morning and said a couple of my photos were “cut off” but they’d submit them and see what happens. They then asked for the VIN and a pic of my NH Drivers license. So I sent a pic of reg with vin on it as well as a pic of my NHDL. Then added more pictures of the bus. I also added that I’ve been driving fire trucks and ambulances bigger than that bus for two decades without issue if it helps. She stated my application has been submitted and she will advise me as soon as she hears.

I told my history of driving big trucks to Allstate when they emailed me back today and they asked if I had a CDL, as it may get me a discount if they can find me a policy via outsourcing it. Unfortunately I explained that in NH firefighters don’t need a CDL as we aren’t commercial, so I don’t.

Fingers crossed
Outlawfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
AIS insurance emailed me this morning and said a couple of my photos were “cut off” but they’d submit them and see what happens. They then asked for the VIN and a pic of my NH Drivers license. So I sent a pic of reg with vin on it as well as a pic of my NHDL. Then added more pictures of the bus. I also added that I’ve been driving fire trucks and ambulances bigger than that bus for two decades without issue if it helps. She stated my application has been submitted and she will advise me as soon as she hears.

I told my history of driving big trucks to Allstate when they emailed me back today and they asked if I had a CDL, as it may get me a discount if they can find me a policy via outsourcing it. Unfortunately I explained that in NH firefighters don’t need a CDL as we aren’t commercial, so I don’t.

Fingers crossed
If they don't come through, our State Agent in West Lebanon should be able write you a policy.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #26
Skoolie

Did you try asking the progressive commercial line for a personal use policy? i got that for mine a few months ago.
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Progressive lady said anything that was ever anschool bus is out! But what I’ve learned is a lot goes on who answers the phone. So if this place fails me I will try CFPU again with them
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Progressive lady said anything that was ever anschool bus is out! But what I’ve learned is a lot goes on who answers the phone. So if this place fails me I will try CFPU again with them
I'm not trying to be annoying here but are you sure you called the Commercial section of the company? I had to ask to be transferred when I called. I was up front with the agent and he said its no problem. I also have no plans to do a full RV conversion which may have an effect.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by E450Shorty View Post
I'm not trying to be annoying here but are you sure you called the Commercial section of the company? I had to ask to be transferred when I called. I was up front with the agent and he said its no problem. I also have no plans to do a full RV conversion which may have an effect.
I think you'll find at the end of the policy term Progressive will not renew you. They are done insuring anything based off a school bus. I believe they are cancelling everyone who is on a payment plan right away but let existing paid in full policies to expire. They would not add my TC2000 to the policy on my Genesis 2 weeks ago.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think you'll find at the end of the policy term Progressive will not renew you. They are done insuring anything based off a school bus. I believe they are cancelling everyone who is on a payment plan right away but let existing paid in full policies to expire. They would not add my TC2000 to the policy on my Genesis 2 weeks ago.
I guess I'll find out next April...
Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

AMEN!!!
Got coverage for liability insurance $437 for the year. She says don’t let it lapse or they could not let me renew. If anyone uses her and gives my name (Mark Curtin), I get $25. So feel free to see if ASI Insurance Agent Jessica can get your conversion legal. https://www.aisinsurance.com/special...-Madriles.aspx
Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
AMEN!!!
Got coverage for liability insurance $437 for the year. She says don’t let it lapse or they could not let me renew. If anyone uses her and gives my name (Mark Curtin), I get $25. So feel free to see if ASI Insurance Agent Jessica can get your conversion legal. https://www.aisinsurance.com/special...-Madriles.aspx
Usually you have to find an agent in your state. Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile, join the community.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

I'm about to be screwed. In CO I have 4 days left to title from Texas. E350 dually retirement home transit van. Half built, I will need to title as is and then convert. Can anyone offer guidance on insurance? Praying I dont have to haul this up to an rv lot and park it till it's done. Currently with Travelers which I know is a no go so this is potentially a combo of transfering existing auto and home. Anyone have a referral in CO?

CO requires proof of insurance when titling.
Blcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blcia View Post
I'm about to be screwed. In CO I have 4 days left to title from Texas. E350 dually retirement home transit van. Half built, I will need to title as is and then convert. Can anyone offer guidance on insurance? Praying I dont have to haul this up to an rv lot and park it till it's done. Currently with Travelers which I know is a no go so this is potentially a combo of transfering existing auto and home. Anyone have a referral in CO?

CO requires proof of insurance when titling.
AIS insurance will help you I bet. See my link above to the woman who helped me.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Where in NH are you? We are over near Claremont. I'm guessing you are from a small town if you managed to get it registered in NH and it's not painted. We had to paint ours (covering up any SCHOOL BUS markings) and remove the Red/Yellow warning lights.

As for insurance, go find a State Farm agent and get a Commercial for Private Use policy while you are converting it. Once it's done, and you change the title to a Motorhome, they will insure it as such. We have gone through the whole process, except for the last step, but should have ours done in a month or two, I hope.
I don't understand this - I keep reading about a "commercial for private use policy" but every insurance company or agent I've talked to has never heard of this.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
AMEN!!!
I just called her, and it looks like I'm going to be able to get liability insurance (from National General?) for $499 a year. She said this would be an actual RV policy (i.e. not "commercial for private use") even though it was liability-only. She also said I needed to send her photos of the inside and outside, although the only thing they really cared about was making sure the seats are out (I may also attempt to lop off the stop signs before I take the pics).

I will try to make sure you get your $25.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Glad she can cover you hopefully

In my pics I told them the front still said school bus. She said that’s fine. I only had one bench seat left. Get pic of all four sides and inside from both ends.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
I just cancelled my Progressive private as commercial policy now that my conversion is complete, and moving over to an Allstate RV policy. Trying to determine if full coverage is worth it at 44/month. I got a lot of time in this thing....
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Make sure you look at the fine print.

Keep all your receipts?

Agreed value is best, but do not expect to get comp'd much for your DIY time value.

Document the buildout publicly?

Otherwise just base vehicle, what is the payout? Depreciation rate each year?

A good policy is likely more than $44 a month. . .
Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
Oh interesting, I didn't know it worked like that. Think i have decided to go with just liability.

No public documentation of build. Looking back I would have done a better job. Will do a tour at sometime just to give another example to the community.

Coverage amount was for 15k, 500 deductible, not sure on depreciation
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote