Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
I got a temporary movement permit but I have heard of other people driving with no plates because "school buses are invisible." They mean the yellow ones with the markings and all. Cops check plates when they are looking for a stolen car, for an Amber alert, etc. They are not looking for a school bus. I am not recommending this approach, I'm just saying that people have definitely done it, even across the country, without problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio19 View Post
So I am understanding the insurance part, but how do I deal with no plates getting a bus back that I just bought?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
On my trip last week from Seattle to Atl. I got "questioned", not stopped, twice. Once on Bainbridge Island as I was parking the bus for the night an officer stopped to check it out. Informed me that even though I could drive on the BOS in Ga., I wasn't in Ga. and that I would legally need a temp tag in the state of Wash. He said "I'm not going to write you a ticket or tell you what to do, but you might get stopped for no tag." We talked about how buses are invisible and how unlikely it would be to get ticketed for no tag in my situation. Later in Tenn. I saw a queen mattress that had blown out of someones truck. I pulled over to see if it might be clean enough to sleep on in the bus, it was too big to fit in. As I was back in the bus and looking at the map I hear a loud rap on the door to see an officer standing there. We talk about what I am doing there and he mentions the tag and I have to show him the BOS and the title (which promptly disappeared after that stop). He tells me the same thing Wash. told me, but he isn't going to write me and he tells me we are at mile marker 14. I tell him I'll be in your state for another 10 minutes and to have a nice day. And off I went.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #43

They do not.....Grrrrrrr
Studio19 is offline   Reply With Quote