Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help me get my bus home.

I found a bus and I'm going to buy it on Monday.

I'm trying to get insurance so that I can get it home. I can switch it later after it's converted I just want to be legal on the way home.

I just called progressive and said that I had a bus with the seats removed to use for hauling hay to my farm. They said they can't insurance something that has been modified. What do I say to get it insurance for personal use? What do I say that the use is?

Oh and its in SC too.

Grease&gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Update I just called national general and said that I'm buying a bus to transport people back from my house (which is a wedding venue) back home after the weddings. They said they dont cover anything to do with transporting people.

Obviously I am saying too much I just don't know what to say when they ask me what the bus is for.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Try Progressive Commercial. They are a different entity than Progressive. Tell them what you have and that you want a commercial policy for personal use.

Good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Cool just went online and got a quote from them. I will finish it once I have the vin number.

What if they ask me what I'm using the vehicle for? What if I say for personal use and they need to know more?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease&gravel View Post
Cool just went online and got a quote from them. I will finish it once I have the vin number.

What if they ask me what I'm using the vehicle for? What if I say for personal use and they need to know more?
i told them my plan completely... to convert it to a home and they said okay... blah blah blah...

good luck
Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Not sure about SC, but I know this fellow writes for NC and VA.

Ricky Burgess at Sutphin Insurance Agency in Moneta, VA took care of me, and has written policies for a number of our folks here. See http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/ins...-va-14573.html

I recommend you be completely forthright with him: he would MUCH rather know all of the gory details and make sure you are covered properly. Worst situation: you bluff, get a policy, get in an accident, and they don't pay because you misrepresented the situation. Ricky is cool.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Do you have an existing auto policy with any insurance company now? If so, ask them if you are insured and for how long when you purchase a new or used vehicle. I'm with State Farm and I'm covered for 30 days I believe. We can legally drive on a BOS for 7 days after purchase. Don't tell your insurance it's a bus, just ask if your policy covers new purchases.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Do you have an existing auto policy with any insurance company now? If so, ask them if you are insured and for how long when you purchase a new or used vehicle. I'm with State Farm and I'm covered for 30 days I believe. We can legally drive on a BOS for 7 days after purchase. Don't tell your insurance it's a bus, just ask if your policy covers new purchases.
That is exactly what I did to get 2 buses home.

I am also with State Farm. Here in WA we only get 14 days coverage on purchased vehicles.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That is exactly what I did to get 2 buses home.

I am also with State Farm. Here in WA we only get 14 days coverage on purchased vehicles.
More than enough time to get it home to start working on it. Using BOS for 7 days means I don't have to worry about either of those to get her home. Then worry about what stage to be at for some sort of legal insurance and tag.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
It really bugs me when people think its ok to lie to the insurance company. If you lie to them, get insurance and have an accident they WILL find out the truth and deny your claim. The best thing is to be honest with them and tell them of your intentions for the bus. National General has been helpfull with me. Call them back , be honest. Most likely you can get commercial insurance to get it home, then change over to r v.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
It really bugs me when people think its ok to lie to the insurance company. If you lie to them, get insurance and have an accident they WILL find out the truth and deny your claim. The best thing is to be honest with them and tell them of your intentions for the bus. National General has been helpfull with me. Call them back , be honest. Most likely you can get commercial insurance to get it home, then change over to r v.
At no time did I say lie to them. In my case I asked the question about whether i am covered in any vehicle I bought and the answer was yes. I said what about an RV, answer was yes. I asked what about a bus, the answer was yes. So I never lied, I just backed into the question I was wanting answered.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Quote:
At no time did I say lie to them. In my case I asked the question about whether i am covered in any vehicle I bought and the answer was yes. I said what about an RV, answer was yes. I asked what about a bus, the answer was yes. So I never lied, I just backed into the question I was wanting answered.
At one point I had sr22 insurance the card said insured in any owned or non owned vehicle, never asked if it covered a bus. Might have to check on that it was only like $400 a year
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
My response wasn't necessarily directed at you, Tho the way you wrote it it looked that way. Sorry.
I have encountered people that have lied and it came back and bit them in the ass big time.
I work for a company that does towing and just today we had a guy that had towing with his insurance and told them it was a motorhome when it was titled as a bus, They would not cover and cancelled his policy. Now he blames us for him losing his insurance.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah no I'm definitely not trying to lie to get permanent insurance. I plan on getting the right insurance after I get it titled as a motorhome, I'm just trying to get the bus home. It's probably going to sit in one place for a few months let's be honest.

I do have auto insurance currently.

I did end up getting quoted $59 a month for commercial insurance for personal use. At that price I may just run that for the time being.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease&gravel View Post
...I did end up getting quoted $59 a month for commercial insurance for personal use. At that price I may just run that for the time being.
Glad you have at least one option available!

I would encourage you to call Ricky Burgess still, just in case he can write in your state. I'm paying about half that - though the coverages in your quote may make the higher price the sweeter deal, all things considered. Likely worth a call, though: 540 296-1430 or 540 266-3074.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Glad you have at least one option available!

I would encourage you to call Ricky Burgess still, just in case he can write in your state. I'm paying about half that - though the coverages in your quote may make the higher price the sweeter deal, all things considered. Likely worth a call, though: 540 266-3074.
The 296 number works but it takes longer to get answered because of the way Verizon set up the call forwarding.

South Carolina is a state we're not set up in, and I can't usually get us licensed and appointed for just one policy. We do write in states other than VA, but we don't have access to all of our companies in all the other states. We can write MD, NC, WV, FL, OH, GA & AK, but we're only appointed with National General in VA. That said, if I could show that we'd have multiple policies we could write I can make the request.

Generally speaking though most normal carriers will not insure anything used to transport people. Taking friends/family in your vehicle to a location is different than taking a fee to transport people. But you have to make that clear.

When you buy a car, depending on state/insurance you do have a bit of time to get it insured before there is a problem. You should still check with your insurer if you'd have the liability coverage to get your bus from point a to point b after buying it. Some companies have size/weight limits on personal auto policies. I'd also check with your state's DMV for a trip permit.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:

Be aware that I asked my State Farm agent just this very question, then followed it up with "what does that policy NOT cover?" He told me that it does not cover any kind of commercial vehicle.

Just word of warning about trying this....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
Bus Geek

When I contacted State Farm to verify the 14 day coverage I provided them with the vin and asked "is this vehicle covered? "

They responded "yes" on both.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
When I contacted State Farm to verify the 14 day coverage I provided them with the vin and asked "is this vehicle covered? "

They responded "yes" on both.

Incredible! Go with that then. Or maybe we can chalk this up to differences between states....

I tell you what, my insurance agent really tried to talk me out of a conversion. I mean, called me to his office for over an hour type of "talk me out of it". He was NOT a happy camper.

But I had previously threatened to take my business elsewhere....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Incredible! Go with that then. Or maybe we can chalk this up to differences between states....

I suspect that is the case.

I have read MANY threads regarding insurance here over the last few years. I also pester my wife, who has worked in insurance for 30years in 4 states, with constant questions.

It has become abundantly clear that insurance offerings vary considerably from state to state even with the same carrier.