Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #1

Question Help w/ US Bus -> Canada OR Canadian Bus --> US?

Here's my situation, any help is *really* appreciated:

[Sorry this is long, but I've got domino-ing immigration crap adding to the confusion and really need help!]

I'm American and my wife is Canadian. We are currently in Canada. We are ready to buy our bus and start converting asap but caught in immigration loops. I am currently here legally as a visitor, in the process of applying for Permanent Residency. We plan to move back to the US by the end of 2018.

[Don't even get my started on why I need to apply for PR when we are planning to leave anyway- I spend enough time on immigration forums!]

My initial plan was to buy a bus in the US around March and bring it over the border to Canada. Build all spring & summer, and then move back to the US with the bus in the fall or so.

At the moment I am still on an American license & insurance, so I thought this plan would work- I don't think a Canadian can buy/register a US vehicle from what I've read, so we assumed the bus would need to be under my name, etc.

I *thought* I could get a US bus over the border if I can prove to them it's here for tourism and not planning to stay (Canada does not allow converted buses to be imported). We would only want it in Canada for the spring & summer, and then move, so this would be truthful.

However, by the time this happens my PR may have gone through, and I will no longer be a 'tourist', so bringing a bus in on 'tourism' and not intent of staying may be harder to show. I may also be forced to change my license to Canadian (and therefore not eligible for a US bus), though not changing it is easier to get around.

The reason we wanted a US bus (besides the overall quality, etc) is that we plan to be in the US the next few years. Even if we travel to/from Canada, we'd be US based. Trying to avoid re-registering, etc.

So, my first questions:

1) Has anyone had even close to this (oddly specific) type of situation of being American, trying to bring a US bus to Canada, but also a Canadian PR?

2) What about as only a tourist? (no other legal status)?

3) I know Canada does not allow "Vehicles that have been modified from their original state" to be imported, and a converted bus would be included in that.

However, what about a bus that hasn't been converted at all yet, just driven over the border? Anyone know if Canada would allow a regular bus to be imported, allowing me to start the conversion post paperwork going through?

Final question:

Our current plan B is to buy a Canadian bus, simply start the build without issue and then bring it to the US. The downside of this is the re-registering, etc. (if even possible).

1) Does anyone know if the US allows *converted* Canadian buses to be imported? (With this plan the conversion will have definitely been started/maybe even completed).

2) If so, any links to info, resources, etc?

In addition to other reasons I am in limbo about if/when to apply for my PR if it is going to keep me from making this bus happen before 2019. (Don't worry, I'm not asking for legal immigration advice, blah blah, sorting that out enough elsewhere, just one of the many things we have to think about with this project! )

TheWanderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I don't know much about any of what you're asking, but I do have some insight due to living close to the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderbus View Post
My initial plan was to buy a bus in the US around March and bring it over the border to Canada. Build all spring & summer, and then move back to the US with the bus in the fall or so.

At the moment I am still on an American license & insurance, so I thought this plan would work- I don't think a Canadian can buy/register a US vehicle from what I've read, so we assumed the bus would need to be under my name, etc.
If you're registered in the US (with some sort of address there) and plan on moving back in a couple years then buying a bus in the states makes sense to me. You'd have to stick around south of the border a bit to get everything plated and legal, but then you'd have no problem driving it across the border. It's not being imported, just visiting.

People import vehicles back and forth all the time, too. I don't think you need to be a citizen or permanent resident to work through the vehicle import documents, but I could be wrong. Vehicles with major modifications beyond stock are not acceptable for importing unless they've been properly certified. A stock bus shouldn't be a problem. It would need to be painted first, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderbus View Post
The reason we wanted a US bus (besides the overall quality, etc) is that we plan to be in the US the next few years.
Where are you located? If you're in the mountains then you'll find buses equally well equipped as the ones in Washington state, Oregan, Colorado.. Rust is minimal throughout the Pacific Northwest, compared to the rest of the country.

Central Canada is the rust belt. Be cautious of those buses. Out East the rust goes down again, but the far west will most likely get you the best bang for your buck.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Thanks for your response jatzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
If you're registered in the US (with some sort of address there) and plan on moving back in a couple years then buying a bus in the states makes sense to me.
Yes, definitely preferred to start with a US bus since not only will be US based, but using the bus as both our home and as part of a business. The biz will also be US based, so it makes the most sense.

Quote:
You'd have to stick around south of the border a bit to get everything plated and legal
I figured if I bought it in the US it'd already be plated & legal, I'd just have to get the registration & insurance in my name before crossing. Is that what you mean?

Quote:
but then you'd have no problem driving it across the border. It's not being imported, just visiting.
If I was truly a tourist on a tourist visa/visa exempt status I'd agree. My worry is if I'm crossing as a PR (I can't lie about that at the border) then am I allowed to bring a US vehicle with no plans to import (as PRs are *technically* supposed to import any vehicles 30 days after)? I don't think I can.

I'll likely never import my current vehicle here, since we'll be leaving so soon after that becomes relevant, but that's much easier to slide on since it's already here. Crossing the border is another story.

Quote:
People import vehicles back and forth all the time, too. I don't think you need to be a citizen or permanent resident to work through the vehicle import documents, but I could be wrong.
I'm trying to avoid importing to Canada, so that I don't lose my American license & insurance. That being said I am wanting to know if buses [I]can[I] be imported into Canada, because at least if that's a legal possibility then I could simply say I am bringing it over and plan to import it. Then, if plans change, we simply don't do that... and bring it back to the US with the US plates & registration intact.

Quote:
Vehicles with major modifications beyond stock are not acceptable for importing unless they've been properly certified. A stock bus shouldn't be a problem.
So, referring to above, I could (should) be able to bring a non-coverted stock US bus over the border, even if I ran into the "PR-you need to import" issue, because stock buses are legally allowed to be imported. Sound right?

Quote:
It would need to be painted first, though.
How do you mean? It can't come over the border yellow? Any certain rules about being painted? Any other modifications it has to have first? I have a vague memory of a few things being necessary to change but can't remember what they are. (And obviously don't want to change it too much so that it stays as 'stock' and not modified).

Quote:
Where are you located? If you're in the mountains then you'll find buses equally well equipped as the ones in Washington state, Oregan, Colorado.. Rust is minimal throughout the Pacific Northwest, compared to the rest of the country.
Good to know. I'm currently in Calgary, Alberta. Though I know many people get buses from Tennesee, etc. I've heard lots of good things about buses in Montana, which is so much closer.

Quote:
Central Canada is the rust belt. Be cautious of those buses. Out East the rust goes down again, but the far west will most likely get you the best bang for your buck.
Noted, thanks. If I were to get a Canadian bus, do you have any idea if a modified Canadian bus can be imported into the US? It definitely wouldn't be stock at that point.

Thanks so much for your help!!

p.s...how the hell do you get multi-quote to work? I ended up manually quoting each section because clicking and/or highlighting did nothing. Only the full quote button worked. What obvious thing am I missing....?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
This is just a simple and quick reply. I'll try to get back to you with more of my thoughts later.

In regards to the colour: In all of Canada and most US states you legally can't drive a personal vehicle that is painted School Bus Yellow (SBY). Gotta get it painted.

If you do decide to pursue a bus in Canada:
Calgary is on the cusp of the rust belt. Look a bit further west in Canada (even western Alberta) and you'll start to see the good buses. I wouldn't expect Montana to be any better than Alberta for bus quality, but I could be wrong. Alberta and Montana are very similar in regards to climate and topography. In fact, based on GDP I would expect Alberta's school districts to be better funded than Montana's. Again, could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

Good to know, thanks! Looking forward to any more info/ideas/advice when you have a chance
Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
This is just a simple and quick reply. I'll try to get back to you with more of my thoughts later.

In regards to the colour: In all of Canada and most US states you legally can't drive a personal vehicle that is painted School Bus Yellow (SBY). Gotta get it painted.

If you do decide to pursue a bus in Canada:
Calgary is on the cusp of the rust belt. Look a bit further west in Canada (even western Alberta) and you'll start to see the good buses. I wouldn't expect Montana to be any better than Alberta for bus quality, but I could be wrong. Alberta and Montana are very similar in regards to climate and topography. In fact, based on GDP I would expect Alberta's school districts to be better funded than Montana's. Again, could be wrong.
No regs exist in Montana requiring one to repaint from SBY. LOTS of us still have the old girls in their finest livery. And I got Brunhilde from an Indiana district through Illinois. What rust I can find is minor surface rust and the school district was pretty religious in hitting them with paint.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
border, canada, immigration, import