Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350
How do I register Bus as RV in ontario

Ok so I have a no. of insurance companies lined up ... but I am told I should not get a quote until I have registered my bus convertion as an RV....now I have been on the MTO web and I have not found any information to tell me how to do that... so the question is ...What will I need to qualify the bus as an RV and where do I find the information....

Thanks for info

mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Hey, I am in the Hamilton area, I am 60% done with my conversion and am having a tough time as well finding the information on the MTO website as well. I have asked a couple of members for help who currently have converted skoolies in Ontario. If I get any info I can send your way.

Right now I am a converting based on a memory of an MTO document I wish I would have saved 2 years ago when I started the conversion.

You mentioned you have insurance companies lined up, care to share that info?

Dave
Clyde.Hestur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde.Hestur View Post
Hey, I am in the Hamilton area, I am 60% done with my conversion and am having a tough time as well finding the information on the MTO website as well. I have asked a couple of members for help who currently have converted skoolies in Ontario. If I get any info I can send your way.

Right now I am a converting based on a memory of an MTO document I wish I would have saved 2 years ago when I started the conversion.

You mentioned you have insurance companies lined up, care to share that info?

Dave
In the states the vehicle is considered a specialized vehicle and is only dealt with by one branch of the DMV. I'd call your specialized vehicles division in your local DMV or comparable and ask the requirements but as a guess it will be 4 of the following 7 required permanently installed.

To qualify for the statutorily defined classification of motor home, mini motor home or van camper, a vehicle must:
• Be self-contained (possessing within itself all that is necessary; self-sufficient);
• Not to be used commercially (transporting persons or property in furtherance of a commercial or industrial enterprise, for-hire or
not-for-hire);
• Be designed (initial manufacture), or permanently converted, to provide living quarters;
• Provide direct walk-through access between the living quarters and driver’s seat;
• Only be used for recreation, camping or travel; and
• Include at least four of the following permanently mounted items:
■ Cooking facility (stove, oven, etc.) with an on-board fuel source;
■ Refrigerator (gas or electric);
■ Toilet with exterior evacuation (storage tank and dumping capability);
■ Heating or air conditioning system with on-board power/fuel separate from the vehicle’s engine;
■ Potable (drinkable) water supply system including a sink, faucet, and water tank (with exterior service supply connection); or
110-125-volt electric power supply.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

So I have been digging.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

The Canadian Motor Safety Regulations define a Motor Home as:

Motor Homemeans a multi-purpose passenger vehicle
that is designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four
of the following:
(a) cooking facilities,
(b) a refrigerator or ice box,
(c) a self-contained toilet,
(d) a heating or air-conditioning system that can function
independently of the vehicle engine,
(e) a potable water supply system that includes a
faucet and sink, and
(f) a separate 110- to 125-V electric power supply or
an LP gas supply; (autocaravane)

2.3(2) The designated seating capacity of a motor home that
has a GVWR greater than 4 536 kg may, at the option of
the manufacturer, be the number of sleeping positions in
the motor home.

I'm going to keep digging.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #5

ok for insurance I have found StateFarm , and an Independent but I have been waiting to get the full conversion done and to get the new ownership as an RV....we are about half way finished so I am hoping by next week to have it ready and photographed for the MTO....the size of our engine seems to b the biggest problem...but I have seen a lot of truck in oshawa with 350 engines
Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

if you need a no. lot me know and I will get tammy's no. for u she is with statefarm here in oshawa... she insured my brothers RV but again... asking a bit more for a skoolie I think.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #7

Look for the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations c.r.c 1038.
U will find the definition in there.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
So I have been digging.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

The Canadian Motor Safety Regulations define a Motor Home as:

Motor Homemeans a multi-purpose passenger vehicle
that is designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four
of the following:
(a) cooking facilities,
(b) a refrigerator or ice box,
(c) a self-contained toilet,
(d) a heating or air-conditioning system that can function
independently of the vehicle engine,
(e) a potable water supply system that includes a
faucet and sink, and
(f) a separate 110- to 125-V electric power supply or
an LP gas supply; (autocaravane)

2.3(2) The designated seating capacity of a motor home that
has a GVWR greater than 4 536 kg may, at the option of
the manufacturer, be the number of sleeping positions in
the motor home.

I'm going to keep digging.
you found it, that's great, seems to be the standard for just about every where.
co-op insurance lists bus conversions on there web site
gbstewart
Old 06-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjana View Post
Ok so I have a no. of insurance companies lined up ... but I am told I should not get a quote until I have registered my bus convertion as an RV....now I have been on the MTO web and I have not found any information to tell me how to do that... so the question is ...What will I need to qualify the bus as an RV and where do I find the information....

Thanks for info
good see another skoolie from Ontario , where are you located ?
gbstewart
Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
My bus was already registered as an RV when I bought it. All that had been done was the seat removal. Mind you this was done in the small community of Bancroft where the bus had served its time as a schoolie.
Insurance was no problem either as I am with State Farm. Never a question.
Also have coverage for towing etc thru CAA RV package, a must with something the size of a bus. It needs an awful big tow truck to deal with these on the roadside if needed.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #11

We are in Oshawa....and my husband being the hippy that he is .... is now going in a different direction with the registration....because we have a shorty and because they want all this "stuff" and because we are getting frustrated ...we are now going to try to change the registation to van...we have taken out all the seats... so it is no longer a bus...nothing is going to be "attached"...We are not going to cook inside we will have a camp tent...so the "van" will just hold our bed and our stuff...since this is a prototype we will work on the next one to be an rv...cause as my husband says ..."screw the man I just want to go camping" hahahah
Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #12

Cool New bus owner.

Good day everyone,

I bought a bus but am having a very hard time getting insurance for it. I can't get insurance for it as it is because I don't have a commercial business and I can't transfer it into a personal vehicle with out insurance because it will then become unfit for the road and I will need to tow it to get it inspected, safted and apprised before they will give me a plate and sticker.

I tried State farm and they said no as well. What did you tell them you needed insurance for and how did you get it moved from the beginning while it was still a bus?

After it because a motorhome what did you tell the insurance company and how much are you paying a year?

I am getting frustrated and am almost ready to give up on this at this point.

Thank-you very much,

Brad
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #13

help

I am also struggling. I have purchased a mini bus and have been unable to insure it. I'm going to do the conversion and get it changed to an RV but i'm looking for advice from people who have done this? Do you need to have it inspecteD? by who? do i just write an affidavid or take photos?
Ericamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericamedia View Post
I am also struggling. I have purchased a mini bus and have been unable to insure it. I'm going to do the conversion and get it changed to an RV but i'm looking for advice from people who have done this? Do you need to have it inspecteD? by who? do i just write an affidavid or take photos?
With my bus, the insurance company sent someone to inspect it and make sure that it was converted, I also had to have the propane inspected.
gbstewart
Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #15

Where exactly...?

Quote:
Look for the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations c.r.c 1038.
U will find the definition in there.

Hey I've been looking around too for Motorhome Registration Requirements as well.

I'm about to take the first action in my bus conversion, but I'm the kind of person who collects all the information I can before hand.

ONE BIG QUESTION - how to register a motorhome (in terms of meeting requirements)? Should I be emailing and calling ServiceOntario? Is there an inspection?

Any fellow Canadians converted a school bus into a registered RV answer these questions and remember?

The MVSA crc 1038 is thick... which heading is it in? (As specific as possible) This way we can now reference this piece of thick bs to the ministry if they are unknowledable about this kind of specific info.

Please please and thank you!
Calvin N Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
With my bus, the insurance company sent someone to inspect it and make sure that it was converted, I also had to have the propane inspected.
gbstewart
So to be clear, the insurance company inspected your skoolie so you could get it insured... and then with insurance you can now register the RV?

And if so, does that mean that the MTO believes that the RV is "qualified/classified" as an RV / has Legal RV Status because it's insured? Hence you can get registration finally?!?

Sounds loose to me 😂
Calvin N Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

All the MTO requires to change the status to an RV is a declaration from the owner that it meets the definition of an RV which I am guessing you can find either on the MTO website or in the HTA - when I talked to them nothing was said about having anything inspected - just the requirement that you sign a declaration .....
chasingsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjana View Post
if you need a no. lot me know and I will get tammy's no. for u she is with statefarm here in oshawa... she insured my brothers RV but again... asking a bit more for a skoolie I think.
Hi! I'm currently trying to get my van conversion insured & running in to similar troubles. I'm in Ontario. Could you please send me through Tammy's number Mirjana? Sounds like she's the lady to talk to!

Cheers,

Max
maxbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: international 3800
Engine: international T444E
Rated Cap: 60 passenger
school bus registration and insurance

hello everyone and a good day to you all

last august I purchased a 2002 60 seat class c bluebird with handicap lift at the rear from a company that sells school buses after their 15 yrs old status.

I was fortunate that that company along with my affidavit ( use as a motor home ) and a set of old passenger plates that I had and they title my bus as a passenger motor home with Temporary tags so I could drive it home .

I then had safety inspected and received my passenger Fit motor home title along with the annual registration sticker.

All I have done since September was remove all the seats, I do need to get insurance , my current Cooperators Ins. said no.

I am aware that I must do some of the requirements to meet the classification of a motor home and probably need the conversion inspected,
now what are my insurance option?

David
crosscountry55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
hello everyone and a good day to you all

last august I purchased a 2002 60 seat class c bluebird with handicap lift at the rear from a company that sells school buses after their 15 yrs old status.

I was fortunate that that company along with my affidavit ( use as a motor home ) and a set of old passenger plates that I had and they title my bus as a passenger motor home with Temporary tags so I could drive it home .

I then had safety inspected and received my passenger Fit motor home title along with the annual registration sticker.

All I have done since September was remove all the seats, I do need to get insurance , my current Cooperators Ins. said no.

I am aware that I must do some of the requirements to meet the classification of a motor home and probably need the conversion inspected,
now what are my insurance option?

David
Look for a "commercial for personal use" policy.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#canada #ontario