Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario canada
Posts: 6
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350
How do I register Bus as RV in ontario

Ok so I have a no. of insurance companies lined up ... but I am told I should not get a quote until I have registered my bus convertion as an RV....now I have been on the MTO web and I have not found any information to tell me how to do that... so the question is ...What will I need to qualify the bus as an RV and where do I find the information....

Thanks for info
mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 5
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Hey, I am in the Hamilton area, I am 60% done with my conversion and am having a tough time as well finding the information on the MTO website as well. I have asked a couple of members for help who currently have converted skoolies in Ontario. If I get any info I can send your way.

Right now I am a converting based on a memory of an MTO document I wish I would have saved 2 years ago when I started the conversion.

You mentioned you have insurance companies lined up, care to share that info?

Dave
Clyde.Hestur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde.Hestur View Post
Hey, I am in the Hamilton area, I am 60% done with my conversion and am having a tough time as well finding the information on the MTO website as well. I have asked a couple of members for help who currently have converted skoolies in Ontario. If I get any info I can send your way.

Right now I am a converting based on a memory of an MTO document I wish I would have saved 2 years ago when I started the conversion.

You mentioned you have insurance companies lined up, care to share that info?

Dave
In the states the vehicle is considered a specialized vehicle and is only dealt with by one branch of the DMV. I'd call your specialized vehicles division in your local DMV or comparable and ask the requirements but as a guess it will be 4 of the following 7 required permanently installed.

To qualify for the statutorily defined classification of motor home, mini motor home or van camper, a vehicle must:
• Be self-contained (possessing within itself all that is necessary; self-sufficient);
• Not to be used commercially (transporting persons or property in furtherance of a commercial or industrial enterprise, for-hire or
not-for-hire);
• Be designed (initial manufacture), or permanently converted, to provide living quarters;
• Provide direct walk-through access between the living quarters and driver’s seat;
• Only be used for recreation, camping or travel; and
• Include at least four of the following permanently mounted items:
■ Cooking facility (stove, oven, etc.) with an on-board fuel source;
■ Refrigerator (gas or electric);
■ Toilet with exterior evacuation (storage tank and dumping capability);
■ Heating or air conditioning system with on-board power/fuel separate from the vehicle’s engine;
■ Potable (drinkable) water supply system including a sink, faucet, and water tank (with exterior service supply connection); or
110-125-volt electric power supply.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 5
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
So I have been digging.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

The Canadian Motor Safety Regulations define a Motor Home as:

Motor Homemeans a multi-purpose passenger vehicle
that is designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four
of the following:
(a) cooking facilities,
(b) a refrigerator or ice box,
(c) a self-contained toilet,
(d) a heating or air-conditioning system that can function
independently of the vehicle engine,
(e) a potable water supply system that includes a
faucet and sink, and
(f) a separate 110- to 125-V electric power supply or
an LP gas supply; (autocaravane)

2.3(2) The designated seating capacity of a motor home that
has a GVWR greater than 4 536 kg may, at the option of
the manufacturer, be the number of sleeping positions in
the motor home.

I'm going to keep digging.
Clyde.Hestur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario canada
Posts: 6
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350
ok for insurance I have found StateFarm , and an Independent but I have been waiting to get the full conversion done and to get the new ownership as an RV....we are about half way finished so I am hoping by next week to have it ready and photographed for the MTO....the size of our engine seems to b the biggest problem...but I have seen a lot of truck in oshawa with 350 engines
mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario canada
Posts: 6
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350
if you need a no. lot me know and I will get tammy's no. for u she is with statefarm here in oshawa... she insured my brothers RV but again... asking a bit more for a skoolie I think.
mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 5
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Look for the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations c.r.c 1038.
U will find the definition in there.
Clyde.Hestur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
gbstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,171
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde.Hestur View Post
So I have been digging.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

The Canadian Motor Safety Regulations define a Motor Home as:

Motor Homemeans a multi-purpose passenger vehicle
that is designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four
of the following:
(a) cooking facilities,
(b) a refrigerator or ice box,
(c) a self-contained toilet,
(d) a heating or air-conditioning system that can function
independently of the vehicle engine,
(e) a potable water supply system that includes a
faucet and sink, and
(f) a separate 110- to 125-V electric power supply or
an LP gas supply; (autocaravane)

2.3(2) The designated seating capacity of a motor home that
has a GVWR greater than 4 536 kg may, at the option of
the manufacturer, be the number of sleeping positions in
the motor home.

I'm going to keep digging.
you found it, that's great, seems to be the standard for just about every where.
co-op insurance lists bus conversions on there web site
gbstewart
__________________
my bus build viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5931
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
gbstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,171
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjana View Post
Ok so I have a no. of insurance companies lined up ... but I am told I should not get a quote until I have registered my bus convertion as an RV....now I have been on the MTO web and I have not found any information to tell me how to do that... so the question is ...What will I need to qualify the bus as an RV and where do I find the information....

Thanks for info
good see another skoolie from Ontario , where are you located ?
gbstewart
__________________
my bus build viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5931
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 537
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
My bus was already registered as an RV when I bought it. All that had been done was the seat removal. Mind you this was done in the small community of Bancroft where the bus had served its time as a schoolie.
Insurance was no problem either as I am with State Farm. Never a question.
Also have coverage for towing etc thru CAA RV package, a must with something the size of a bus. It needs an awful big tow truck to deal with these on the roadside if needed.
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#canada #ontario

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.