Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How much should I set aside for immediate after-purchase expenses?

Hey!

So, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on a suitable bus when I find it. I'm trying to be patient and reasonable, so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row!

My question is: "After I purchase a bus, how much extra money do I need to have set aside?"

To expand a little bit,
  • What are my options for getting the bus to my location?
  • Do I need to immediately insure/register the vehicle if I'm not going to be driving it prior to the conversion?
  • Are there extra fees beyond getting the bus to my location and insurance?

Thanks!

scapegoatwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatwax View Post
Hey!

So, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on a suitable bus when I find it. I'm trying to be patient and reasonable, so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row!

My question is: "After I purchase a bus, how much extra money do I need to have set aside?"

To expand a little bit,
  • Do I need to immediately insure/register the vehicle if I'm not going to be driving it prior to the conversion?

Thanks!
You'll need insurance which you know. You'll also need the paperwork to show you're in process of getting it reg and tagged. Some states require some temp tag or other paperwork. Call you motor vehicle division and ask them. You should be able to drop the insurance and wait to reg and tag until you're finished, but you won't be able to drive the bus. You will need to get it titled in your name ASAP! Until then, you don't own the bus. We can't tell you what costs will be. We don't know your location or the bus's location. A safe bet would be under $500.

If you're not going to drive it, you'll need a friend or hire a driver familiar with buses.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Fill out your profile so we can better assist you with answering questions. If you have it towed to your location, you will not need to register it or insure it. If you plan on driving it, you will need insurance. Depending on your state it may or may not need to be registered. In Ga. you can drive it on the BOS for 7 days with insurance as required. If you get an insurance plan, get on a monthly payment plan and cancel it after getting it home, paying only the one month and not the yearly quote.
How much money you will need to set aside depends on what that money is for. If it includes build cost, then you will need anywhere from $2K to $20K, depending on what yours plans are.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I was more inclined to try having the bus shipped to me--it seemed like it would require less bureaucracy/paperwork, and I'd rather not have my first experience driving such a large vehicle be "Well, I'm committed to this thing and driving from Florida to Louisiana in one stretch!" Haha

I was also sort of thinking that given a bus' fuel economy it might not end up costing all that different than making the drive myself. (And possibly taking time off of work to do it!)

So, I'm in Louisiana and I stumbled across this ad for a bus in Florida: https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...-Er--119131119

Google maps says it's about an 11-hour drive if I remember correctly.

Supposedly they've got 11 to choose from and the ad makes it sound like they're all that size and make, which is just about exactly what I'm looking for. Still need to research what people think of the specific engine and transmission and whatnot, and I would prefer a low-floor bus... but it still seems like a good choice on the surface.

As far as "what" I'm trying to set money for, I'm specifically trying to figure out what--on top of the purchase price--I need to have set aside to acquire the bus and have it in my possession. Building in it (and storing the bus) are things I intend to take in stride--I am starting to separately budget and plan for the build but really need to know what I'm working inside of before I can figure that part.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Hey!

To expand a little bit,

Thanks!
Just as a safety net, I'd honestly try to have ten grand just sitting somewhere for when/if the bus needs tires, an inframe, or some other expensive stuff. Sometimes things just break. Hell even a tow can cost over a grand or so depending on how far you gotta get. Just a leaky front cover on my DT466 is gonna set me back a couple grand or so if I do it all myself. 6-10 grand at a shop. For a timing cover replacement.
Now, I myself don't have that emergency money, but I'm wishing like HELL I did, as I have a broken bus that needs a lot of work. Something that couldn't have been foreseen or planned for. Just a failure, could happen any time.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

That's general life advice I'm trying to stick to! I don't have ten grand set aside, but I do have a "rainy day fund" I keep my hands out of.

Hey, you're in Florida! Any chance I could hire you to go take a look and maybe some pictures of the buses at that lot? I have no idea how far it is from you, I know Florida is pretty big.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Before you buy anything...make sure you have a place to put it. In some areas you can park it in front of your house, but in most, you will need to find a storage or other such facility to keep it and work on it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Any suggestions for types of places to store a bus while I'm working on it? I haven't tried networking for a friend with land, but most of my social circle does not include land owners.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's general life advice I'm trying to stick to! I don't have ten grand set aside, but I do have a "rainy day fund" I keep my hands out of.

Hey, you're in Florida! Any chance I could hire you to go take a look and maybe some pictures of the buses at that lot? I have no idea how far it is from you, I know Florida is pretty big.
Not a dealer, I hope!
But I'm game, if you want I'll go check out a bus or two for ya, no prob.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Any suggestions for types of places to store a bus while I'm working on it? I haven't tried networking for a friend with land, but most of my social circle does not include land owners.
THAT is the most crucial part!!!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
Bus Geek

IMHO, driving cost as opposed to tow cost is not even close. The wrecker service that I checked on towing the 20' Airstream 37 miles was $800 using the "big rig" truck. I found a place that would tow it on a flatbed roll back for $200 ( I ended up driving it home). I don't know how far you need to tow it, but your looking at $1000 minimum. At 10mpg and fuel at $2.79/ga, you can drive 3500 miles for $1000.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Not a dealer, I hope!
But I'm game, if you want I'll go check out a bus or two for ya, no prob.

the bus he linked is at tampa bus market.. they seemed pretty good to roger!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the bus he linked is at tampa bus market.. they seemed pretty good to roger!
-Christopher
They're ok, better than bga.
His bus is nice, fwiw. IIRC he did have to make some immediate repairs to get it really road ready.

I'd much rather go there than BGA.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
IMHO, driving cost as opposed to tow cost is not even close. The wrecker service that I checked on towing the 20' Airstream 37 miles was $800 using the "big rig" truck. I found a place that would tow it on a flatbed roll back for $200 ( I ended up driving it home). I don't know how far you need to tow it, but your looking at $1000 minimum. At 10mpg and fuel at $2.79/ga, you can drive 3500 miles for $1000.
Right. But we're discussing what sort of money/plans to have ready for after you own a bus. Emergency funds.
Not about shipping a bus. Driving it home is a no brainer.
If you get a bus on crusty, balding, dry rotted retreads you could be spending $1500-$2000 for a new set of six tires.
Having an emergency fund is even more crucial on the road.
I'm lucky. My bus still runs great and its at "home" at a friends property. If I were out on the road I'd have had to cough up a ton of money to get back on the road asap.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Right. But we're discussing what sort of money/plans to have ready for after you own a bus. Emergency funds.
Not about shipping a bus. Driving it home is a no brainer.
If you get a bus on crusty, balding, dry rotted retreads you could be spending $1500-$2000 for a new set of six tires.
Having an emergency fund is even more crucial on the road.
I'm lucky. My bus still runs great and its at "home" at a friends property. If I were out on the road I'd have had to cough up a ton of money to get back on the road asap.
I'm sorry, that was what you were talking about. I was replying to his comment of :
"I was also sort of thinking that given a bus' fuel economy it might not end up costing all that different than making the drive myself. (And possibly taking time off of work to do it!)"
And actually his comment about extra money was about what more he would need to get the bus home in his yard, not about what money was needed after getting it home and he stated so in his post #4.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Hey!

To expand a little bit,

Thanks!
(in my best Dr Evil impression) One Million dollars huahahahahahaha
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote