Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

How to get insurance in Alberta

Hello all

I am new here and i have been planning to buy and convert a skoolie. However, answers in how to get insurance proving elusive. I called the AMA (who i have insurance with) and they said they won't insure until the conversion is completed by a professional with matching documentation AND proof of value by an appraiser... *sniff* it's staring to sound complicated and expensive. Is there any one who's gotten good results with insuring their skoolie recently in Alberta? Canada?
Any suggestions for insurance companies to try that work for canada too? GMAC is not available in canada.

Thank you kindly, eh

Zahra
zahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: How to get insurance in Alberta

It pays to shop around....... Check with other Insurance companies....
just food for thought..
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Im in Ontario, when I got the bus a only could get insurance from 1 company and they gave us a year to convert in, then I had to get a inspection done on the propane system, then a appraiser to look it over. then I got another quote and a lower price for my insurance. They day I bought it I regestered it as a motorhome before i drove it home it still had the seats in it and still yellow. I think that i would ask them if they just need inspections and the appraisal.
good luck to you
gbstewart
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

im in SK. yay gov't insurance. licensed as a motorhome. only needs a bed + either a sink/stove/fridge in it. I have a bed and fridge.

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Try a different agent, and tell them nothing more than you have to. Don't tell them your plans. Just insure it as is.

My old home town agent would not insure me. I moved a hour away, same company, different agent, in and out for half the cost, insured as a motor home.

Some agents will use anything you say or tell them to try to increase what they can charge you. They are in it for profit.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

Year: 1984
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC9
Engine: 8V71
Rated Cap: 53

Hello, I just got a bus and am in Legal, AB and am having the same issues. Did you ever get coverage?
adamhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhere
Hello, I just got a bus and am in Legal, AB and am having the same issues. Did you ever get coverage?
Do you have other units insured with them?

My bus is still insured even though it's not driving at the moment. With all this, I'm afraid to pull the insurance off of it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48

I didn't seem to have a problem. I phoned my regular agent and gave them the info over the phone. I had them forward a copy of the insurance to the registry office. The registry office transferred it into my name and at the same time registered it as an RV. The registry is Sylvan Lake Registries. This is the second time I've dealt with them in two months and both times they have gone above and beyond for me....I highly recommend them. I will travel the 1/2 hour so I get their customer service again.
While my insurance agent is the same one I've been using for over twenty years and they have me insured thru Wawaneesa, I won't say who they are...just because.
I also agree about phoning around, there was a lot of difference between quotes when I phoned around 25 years ago after first moving into Alberta.
Good luck,

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysFlOoReD View Post
I didn't seem to have a problem. I phoned my regular agent and gave them the info over the phone. I had them forward a copy of the insurance to the registry office. The registry office transferred it into my name and at the same time registered it as an RV. The registry is Sylvan Lake Registries. This is the second time I've dealt with them in two months and both times they have gone above and beyond for me....I highly recommend them. I will travel the 1/2 hour so I get their customer service again.
While my insurance agent is the same one I've been using for over twenty years and they have me insured thru Wawaneesa, I won't say who they are...just because.
I also agree about phoning around, there was a lot of difference between quotes when I phoned around 25 years ago after first moving into Alberta.
Good luck,

Richard

What's the insurance broker in Sylvan Lake?
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
I have my bus insured with comprehensive only with Wawanesa. So I can't legally drive it. My broker says once I finish camperizeing it, they will not insure it. I hear a company called "The Personal" will do camperized busses. Please keep us posted with what you find.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote