Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #181
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Vermont tags look real nice!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #182
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
Received my plates and copy of my application in the mail today!! WoOt! On my application they corrected a few things that I thought I'd share. I filled out everything that the original post on this mentioned.

- They blacked out my license number. So, I assume this means you don't need to include it.
- They changed the Make from Blue Bird to BLUB
- They changed Model from TC2000 to TK
- They changed Body Type from TK to MH

A couple questions for folks who have done this:
- Am I now just waiting for an official registration to come in the mail? How long does that typically take?
- I didn't go down the Title road since it is over 15 yrs old. But now I'm wondering if I should have for some reason. Would it hurt to get the title done too? Or is there no need since I will be getting a transferrable registration?

One last note -- the phone numbers on their website haven't worked for me. But, I submitted a question through their feedback link on the site and they've been pretty responsive getting back to me.
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #183
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Engine: Detroit 8.2L Diesel
Rated Cap: 53
Thanks so much for this thread! Just wanted to post our success with this. We applied for our registration in VT at the beginning of April, and received the registration in the mail about 3 weeks later. We live in WV. It said the plates were to follow within 4 weeks. YAY! CAN. NOT. WAIT.
Zombiepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #184
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
Received my plates and copy of my application in the mail today!! WoOt! On my application they corrected a few things that I thought I'd share. I filled out everything that the original post on this mentioned.

- They blacked out my license number. So, I assume this means you don't need to include it.
- They changed the Make from Blue Bird to BLUB
- They changed Model from TC2000 to TK
- They changed Body Type from TK to MH

A couple questions for folks who have done this:
- Am I now just waiting for an official registration to come in the mail? How long does that typically take?
- I didn't go down the Title road since it is over 15 yrs old. But now I'm wondering if I should have for some reason. Would it hurt to get the title done too? Or is there no need since I will be getting a transferrable registration?

One last note -- the phone numbers on their website haven't worked for me. But, I submitted a question through their feedback link on the site and they've been pretty responsive getting back to me.
They won't give you a title at all. Just a transferable registration.
Thanks for the rest of the update.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 AM   #185
Mini-Skoolie

I have the title, but no bill of sale. Is that going to be ok?
tlbeck1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #186
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I got ins, thru Good sam $230.00 yr liability only
So I was curious what would happen if I tried to insure mine through Progressive by routing through the USAA website. Essentially, I logged into USAA and was routed to a USAA-branded Progressive site. I filled in my bus details and was able to purchase insurance! I completed the sale, printed my ID cards, etc. I am anxious to hear if they are going to come back and withdraw my coverage, but this process worked. $125/year for basic liability coverage in MD.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #187
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
The woman working at the DMV office also changed the body type on my registration to "HC" not sure what that means.

She also looked up the book value on my E450 chassis and said it was $12,000 trade-in and retail $18,000

BUT luckily since I bought it from a dealer I was only charged tax on the bill of sale price. Otherwise they would have tried to charge me for $12,000, I would have said no thanks at that point.
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #188
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
HC stand for House Car. That is the depression era name for vehicles made into camping type vehicles. Modern translation, motorhome.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #189
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
HC stand for House Car. That is the depression era name for vehicles made into camping type vehicles. Modern translation, motorhome.
Thanks, I learned something new today

dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #190
Bus Geek

What it's called just depends on what state you're in.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #191
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Diesel
Curious if anybody has done the VT registration with a bus you already have titled in your name , not one just purchased, and if so any hints on how to fill out the form if its any different?
Moparman5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #192
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman5.9 View Post
Curious if anybody has done the VT registration with a bus you already have titled in your name , not one just purchased, and if so any hints on how to fill out the form if its any different?
Yea, he outlines it in depth. Read through depending on the age of your bus. Provide proof you already paid tax to avoid the 6% VT tax.
tlbeck1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #193
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
So I was curious what would happen if I tried to insure mine through Progressive by routing through the USAA website. Essentially, I logged into USAA and was routed to a USAA-branded Progressive site. I filled in my bus details and was able to purchase insurance! I completed the sale, printed my ID cards, etc. I am anxious to hear if they are going to come back and withdraw my coverage, but this process worked. $125/year for basic liability coverage in MD.
I did the same for a quote and thought hey cool, so I bought a bus, went back to buy the insurance so I can pick it up, had a problem with the site, called and the lady told me they don't insure buses at all anymore due to it being difficult to put a market value on them, even if professionally converted. She actually said she was thinking about a skoolie herself and had a personal conversation with her super about it. I have also had someone else there tell me otherwise so 50/50 on that, I hope they don't drop you. I'm going to talk to foremost ins tomorrow too, they are also partnered with USAA and the quote page asks if it is a converted school/transit bus....
At this point I don't care if they drop me after a week, I just want to get it back here to start working on it.
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #194
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury View Post
I did the same for a quote and thought hey cool, so I bought a bus, went back to buy the insurance so I can pick it up, had a problem with the site, called and the lady told me they don't insure buses at all anymore due to it being difficult to put a market value on them, even if professionally converted. She actually said she was thinking about a skoolie herself and had a personal conversation with her super about it. I have also had someone else there tell me otherwise so 50/50 on that, I hope they don't drop you. I'm going to talk to foremost ins tomorrow too, they are also partnered with USAA and the quote page asks if it is a converted school/transit bus....
At this point I don't care if they drop me after a week, I just want to get it back here to start working on it.

The other 2 options that seem to consistently worn are goodsam and State Farm. I just know people that have - haven't tried myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #195
Bus Geek

Technically, if you already have a car insurance policy you should be automatically covered on new purchases. In some states it's 15 days coverage and other states it's automatic coverage for 30 days.

Drive it like it's stolen. After it's warmed up properly of course.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 AM   #196
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Technically, if you already have a car insurance policy you should be automatically covered on new purchases. In some states it's 15 days coverage and other states it's automatic coverage for 30 days.

Drive it like it's stolen. After it's warmed up properly of course.
I thought that when I got my first bus. Turns out their legal dept had ways around that, I got sued for a fender-bender and lost out big time.
I'd say get a vehicle specific policy.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:40 AM   #197
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I thought that when I got my first bus. Turns out their legal dept had ways around that, I got sued for a fender-bender and lost out big time.
I'd say get a vehicle specific policy.
You may technically have insurance, but it would be the minimum, if they couldn't find a loophole. So 15/30... Aim for the yugo
Like EC said.. get a policy. Call before you buy it. Most companies can email you all the paperwork in minutes. Find a local library or Internet cafe and print it out, or if you buy from a dealer, they have computers there.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #198
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Nate, can you please upload a copy of your form so I can include it in the instructions? That is gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbeck1985 View Post
I have the title, but no bill of sale. Is that going to be ok?
I've written them up myself in the past. Beats getting the form sent back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treepeace View Post
Hey thanks so much for these instructions. I have a question concerning the VT sales tax. Im about to buy a bus in NY and will be using this method to register it. If I pay the sales tax on the purchase here in NY do I have to pay sales tax to VT as well? Thanks again
Include the receipt and you don't pay sales tax.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #199
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Nate, can you please upload a copy of your form so I can include it in the instructions? That is gold.

Here you go. My personal stuff marked out. I had already sent this in by the time you replied about the color. I should've put "white." Not sure if they'll let me change it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #200
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Thanks. Just added it to the instructions. As for your other questions,

Quote:
- I didn't go down the Title road since it is over 15 yrs old. But now I'm wondering if I should have for some reason. Would it hurt to get the title done too? Or is there no need since I will be getting a transferable registration?
Yes, registration comes in the mail. Mine came just a few days later. You cannot get a title in Vermont on a vehicle over 15yrs. They give transferable registrations on everything. That will now act as your title, though hold onto the old one just in case.