Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #2061
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
The bus can be registered anywhere, but generally it has to be insured in the state where it is habitually parked.
Registered in Vt, insured in Ga.

Old 10-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #2062
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Registered in VT as a motorhome, insured in Oregon as "commercial, personal use" until the conversion is mostly or 100% complete. State Farm is our company though we have a long term relationship with the agent.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #2063

Did I mess up?

I already retitled my bus under my name and paid $739.95 with WI state sales tax of 5%. I filled out the Vermont registration form and once everything is done it comes out to $772.54.

$76 for 1 year, 6% tax of purchase which was $11,509, and the $6.00 warranty.

Does this sound correct or did I mess up and overpay by transferring the Title under my name in WI.
ztesch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #2064
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztesch12 View Post
I already retitled my bus under my name and paid $739.95 with WI state sales tax of 5%. I filled out the Vermont registration form and once everything is done it comes out to $772.54.

Does this sound correct or did I mess up and overpay by transferring the Title under my name in WI.
I would call them and get their advice, you shouldn't have to pay sales tax if you are not purchasing it for Vt. regs.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #2065
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:

Huh? If the bus was registered in VT under the same name and address in WI there is no sales tax payable because it is not a sale. They should be returning all the paperwork to you and asking you to do it correctly.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:28 PM   #2066
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I'd call them. You already paid 5% sales tax so you should only need to pay an additional 1% for the sales tax.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 11-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #2067

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin G5
Chassis: E450
Engine: Ford Diesel 6.0L
Rated Cap: 20
HamSkoolie, Did you pay for VT sales tax? Since you live in Oregon,it was sales tax free.
JOSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #2068
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSY View Post
HamSkoolie, Did you pay for VT sales tax? Since you live in Oregon,it was sales tax free.

Oregon has no sales tax but Vermont has 6%. You pay the difference of what sales tax you did pay (if any) when you bought the bus and the 6% Vermont charges.
So if your state charged 5%, you'd pay 1% after showing that you paid the 5%. Also, nothing is worth less than $500 (as far as Vermont is concerned) even if you actually only paid $100.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #2069
Mini-Skoolie

Hi all!
I am currently living in California and recently purchased a bus. After seeing the outrageous price for registration and titling of my bus I want to use the vermont rv registration instead. My question if how long I can wait through vermont to register as an rv. Do I need to do it immediately or can I wait a few months? I am not planning on driving, so thats not an issue for me. I have a bill of sale and title, but the title still has the original owner listed with me signed as new owner. I'd prefer to wait on the registration so I can buy some tools instead and since I'm not driving it now I don't see the need to pay up the money until I'm ready to drive.
0Wanderlust0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #2070
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Wanderlust0 View Post
Hi all!
I am currently living in California and recently purchased a bus. After seeing the outrageous price for registration and titling of my bus I want to use the vermont rv registration instead. My question if how long I can wait through vermont to register as an rv. Do I need to do it immediately or can I wait a few months? I am not planning on driving, so thats not an issue for me. I have a bill of sale and title, but the title still has the original owner listed with me signed as new owner. I'd prefer to wait on the registration so I can buy some tools instead and since I'm not driving it now I don't see the need to pay up the money until I'm ready to drive.
If I recall correctly it was a couple/several months before I registered mine in VT, maybe longer.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #2071
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
If I recall correctly it was a couple/several months before I registered mine in VT, maybe longer.
Thats what I was suspecting. I just don't want to put myself in a spot they may be difficult to get out of.
0Wanderlust0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #2072
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Wanderlust0 View Post
Hi all!
As long as the bus is on private property while you are working on it there's no need to register or insure it. You can wait until it's ready to drive. If you have any doubts, ask your local police department.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #2073
Bus Crazy

Quote:
As long as the bus is on private property while you are working on it there's no need to register or insure it. You can wait until it's ready to drive. If you have any doubts, ask your local police department.
Asking the local police may get you correct, or just as likely incorrect, information. There are so many laws on the books that it is impossible for police to do more than have a basic understanding of the laws they deal with the most. Local police are not going to know squat about the intricacies of a commercial bus sitting unused on private property while being converted.
You are better off looking up your states LAWS and ADMINISTRATIVE RULES on motor vehicles and researching yourself.
For instance, our bus is "illegally" sitting in our driveway with VT motorhome plates on it and has been here more than the 30 days we are allowed before registering it in our state so we will be "punished" when.if we try to register it in this state.
HOWEVER, the "punishment" is a penalty fee of $26 (regardless of how late).... ummmmm DARN that hurt (NOT).
Had we asked a cop or DMV employee, we would have been told "you have to register it within 30 days"

EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT, check YOUR state.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #2074
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Asking the local police may get you correct, or just as likely incorrect, information. There are so many laws on the books that it is impossible for police to do more than have a basic understanding of the laws they deal with the most. Local police are not going to know squat about the intricacies of a commercial bus sitting unused on private property while being converted.
You are better off looking up your states LAWS and ADMINISTRATIVE RULES on motor vehicles and researching yourself.
For instance, our bus is "illegally" sitting in our driveway with VT motorhome plates on it and has been here more than the 30 days we are allowed before registering it in our state so we will be "punished" when.if we try to register it in this state.
HOWEVER, the "punishment" is a penalty fee of $26 (regardless of how late).... ummmmm DARN that hurt (NOT).
Had we asked a cop or DMV employee, we would have been told "you have to register it within 30 days"

EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT, check YOUR state.
The problem with this thinking is very simple. Who is going to enforce anything related to the bus on your property? Do you think the local police will look kindly on your attempting to fancy yourself a sea lawyer and arguing your interpretation of the laws and regulations with them? You itching to start a court case? Who do you think will win?

Or would you rather have a friendly conversation with local LEO's and let them know what you are doing, and tell them you value their opinion? How's that saying go... you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?
Old 11-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #2075
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The problem with this thinking is very simple. Who is going to enforce anything related to the bus on your property? Do you think the local police will look kindly on your attempting to fancy yourself a sea lawyer and arguing your interpretation of the laws and regulations with them? You itching to start a court case? Who do you think will win?

Or would you rather have a friendly conversation with local LEO's and let them know what you are doing, and tell them you value their opinion? How's that saying go... you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?

I prefer to avoid any and all contact with police. Far too many are ignorant of my rights and are far too willing to violate them. I also won't argue with them on the side of the road, on the sidewalk at my house, etc. If they wish to issue a citation fine, issue away. And yes, there will be a court case. A muni court (which isn't even an actual court) case after which, if unsuccessful, I'll demand a trial de novo in a Court of Record (an actual court with an actual judge).
I'm 50/50 on court cases so far with the one I didn't win having reduced the penalty by 75% (which is actually a win since I did violate that silly ordinance).
I've also never allowed a cop to violate my rights....and take steps to ensure they don't such as not carrying ID, having my ID and other documents locked in a portable safe to preclude illegal searches (while on a motorcycle ride with AR15's on our sissy bars), etc.
I'm a criminal justice scholar, class of 14, Latin honors. It is NEVER a good idea to call or talk to police unless you are the victim of a crime. Ask any attorney that isn't a prosecutor....they will tell you.....
NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE.
Search for:
Professor Duane Wayne don't talk to police on YouTube. It's a first class presentation on the subject AND he has a detective address the class immediately after his presentation for "the other side".
Old 11-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #2076
Bus Nut

Quote:
I prefer to avoid any and all contact with police. Far too many are ignorant of my rights and are far too willing to violate them. I also won't argue with them on the side of the road, on the sidewalk at my house, etc. If they wish to issue a citation fine, issue away. And yes, there will be a court case. A muni court (which isn't even an actual court) case after which, if unsuccessful, I'll demand a trial de novo in a Court of Record (an actual court with an actual judge).
I'm 50/50 on court cases so far with the one I didn't win having reduced the penalty by 75% (which is actually a win since I did violate that silly ordinance).
I've also never allowed a cop to violate my rights....and take steps to ensure they don't such as not carrying ID, having my ID and other documents locked in a portable safe to preclude illegal searches (while on a motorcycle ride with AR15's on our sissy bars), etc.
I'm a criminal justice scholar, class of 14, Latin honors. It is NEVER a good idea to call or talk to police unless you are the victim of a crime. Ask any attorney that isn't a prosecutor....they will tell you.....
Search for:
Professor Duane Wayne don't talk to police on YouTube. It's a first class presentation on the subject AND he has a detective address the class immediately after his presentation for "the other side".
Sorry, but this is bad advice for skoolie newbies, and for people in general as well. I have an excellent relationship with the local PD.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #2077
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
LOL, In my neighborhood the local officer has his 40' 5th wheel parked in his driveway with a traffic cone in the gutter of the street for the several feet that extend over the road.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #2078
Bus Geek

Quote:
I prefer to avoid any and all contact with police.

Yes, and certainly for this petty bureaucratic issue.

Likely you can do whate er you like, maybe for years

so long as it is out of sight from any public road

and a Karen neighbor does not complain
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #2079
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, and certainly for this petty bureaucratic issue.

Likely you can do whate er you like, maybe for years

so long as it is out of sight from any public road

and a Karen neighbor does not complain
That is precisely why I cultivate my relationship with the local PD, because when some jackwipe gets a burr up their rear about my bus, I want the LEO's to already know about me and my project. These days the local fad appears to be to call them and tell them my bus is not chocked. Even a state trooper called it in (!), all because the fool was too lazy to look at the front wheels. I had the PD informed, and it got cut off at the root.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #2080
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That is precisely why I cultivate my relationship with the local PD, because when some jackwipe gets a burr up their rear about my bus, I want the LEO's to already know about me and my project. These days the local fad appears to be to call them and tell them my bus is not chocked. Even a state trooper called it in (!), all because the fool was too lazy to look at the front wheels. I had the PD informed, and it got cut off at the root.

Not chocked? CHOCKED? That's a violation? I'd like to see a reference to the LAW that requires that.

As the son of retired state officer, former deputized sheriff's deputy, and criminal justice minor...... the best thing to do is avoid contact.