Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #2241
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
My bus is already titled in my name in Wisconsin. I paid sales tax to Wisconsin when I titled it there. Am I correct in assuming that I will not have any tax due if I apply for Vermont registration?

The bus is listed as a 2008 model on the Wisconsin title. If I have my arithmetic correctly worked out it is 15 years old. If I understand the process, I will be applying for a transferable registration. Does this mean I will only need to pay the registration fee?

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:04 PM   #2242
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
You will have to pay sales tax for Vermont
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:50 PM   #2243
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Engine: 6.0 Powerstroke :(
Strike 2 with VT

Vermont sent back my title paperwork without completing it.
They require me paying tax on $15,900 instead of the $4,500 that I paid for it.

At this point, I'm pretty close to finishing up the requirements for a MH in NY so I think i'm going to try and go through the process in NY now.
BigDaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:34 PM   #2244
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Chassis: Thomas C2
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Thank you for this
Ace418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:01 PM   #2245
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: International RE
Engine: DT466E 285HP - MD3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf5g6 View Post
I got my plates 2 weeks ago, and just got the registration back today. I'm not sure what happened, I followed the instructions to the letter, but on the registration it says body is BU (assuming stands for bus), and under the plate number it says "Passenger car or school bus".

Also I had sent in the original title and didn't get anything back? Does that come seperate?

Seems this was a failure for me. Anything else I can do or try?

So has Vermont changed their policy on BU to MH? Or is this an aberration?
MonsterMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:21 AM   #2246
Bus Crazy

Mine came back BU. Not happy about it. Called them and they said because it is a bus body it will always be a bus where it says body type. But they said it is a motorhome license plate. Does anyone have a way to run a plate number the way a cop would and see what shows up? Seems they would see it as a school bus.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:52 AM   #2247
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I don't think everybody at the Vermont DMV knows what's going on. I just got my registration renewal in the mail (fourth year running now) and it still says "MH" for body type. Vermont license plates don't say anything at all as far as the body type is concerned.

I would just keep calling them back until I got somebody with a clue on the phone.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:54 PM   #2248
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
long shot and i cant remember which one but some of the VIN decoders say if you dont know the VIN then to enter the license plate and they can look it up like that.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:07 PM   #2249
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: V8 Diesel Powerstroke
Hello everyone, I’m trying to get a quote to ship my Bus to Europe, so they ask me about the title. I got the Vermont registration but I don’t have a Title. What do I need to do?
Woodrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:00 PM   #2250
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: FE300
Engine: MaxxForce DT
Crossing my fingers and toes

I was sooo happy when I found this thread! I live in Texas and I was preparing to go through so many steps to just get my bus to register as a motor home. Then I decided to check the Skoolie site for some advice and then I stumbled upon this thread. I sent out my completed application, original title, bill of sale, hand written note with my itemized details and my check for payment! I shipped it out via 1 day Express delivery and am crossing my fingers and toes that I get titled, and registered for 2 years as a Motor Home with Vermont plates!! The directions were phenomenal! I will update when they cash my check and when I receive everything in the mail. Thank you again for this thread of information!

Cody Vega
vegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:07 PM   #2251
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
My bus is already titled in my name in Wisconsin. I paid sales tax to Wisconsin when I titled it there. Am I correct in assuming that I will not have any tax due if I apply for Vermont registration?

The bus is listed as a 2008 model on the Wisconsin title. If I have my arithmetic correctly worked out it is 15 years old. If I understand the process, I will be applying for a transferable registration. Does this mean I will only need to pay the registration fee?

That's what I wondered as well. I paid over $1,000 in sales tax in my home state when I bought the bus. My bus is worth over $14,000 so it doesn't seem right to have to pay another $14,000 X 0.06 = $840 for sales tax when I only bought the bus one time.

Edit:

I did a little digging. There are exceptions to paying the sales tax when registering a vehicle in Vermont.

From the Vermont DMV website:

https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/ve...ion/exemptions
Exemptions

The following is a list of conditions that will allow you to register your vehicle exempt from payment of the Vermont Purchase and Use Tax:

<snip>

Tax paid in another state
Vehicle on which a state tax (Sales, Purchase & Use, or Ad Valorem) has been paid in another state by the person applying for a title/registration in Vermont. If the tax paid in another state is less than the Vermont tax, the tax due shall be the difference. You will be required to submit proof of tax paid. A copy of the retail installment agreement is not acceptable. You will be required to submit a completed Certification of Tax Exemption form (#VT-014)
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:03 PM   #2252
Mini-Skoolie

They cashed my check!!!! Now I am waiting to see whats in the mail I will update.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #2253
Mini-Skoolie

Amazing walk through steps and I RECEIVED MY PLATES

June 1st they received my application and the DMV approved the plates on June 7th and they cashed my check on June 8th and then I received the plates on June 15th in the mail. YAY! They fixed something on my application which I greatly appreciated! Here is the application I sent and they sent back.
Thank you everyone for your help on getting my bus registered as a Motor Home. I had to put my bus color as GRAY because it will automatically get sent back if you say yellow. I am painting my bus in a few weeks. I am not driving it until that is done.
I followed EVERY step from the original pinned post. One thing I might add is : When you are writing your hand written note with the details on costs, what your wanting etc, add on there that you have read and understand the Vermont Motor Home conversion process and laws pertaining to converting a bus to a motor home. I had called and spoke to a nice gentleman that said that is something that helps pass along your application.
Thank you everyone!

Cody Vega
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9488.jpg  
Old 06-17-2023, 06:34 PM   #2254
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Chassis: Thomas C2
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Thank you for sharing this process w us!
Ace418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:28 PM   #2255

Hello,

I just wanted to share with everyone that as of Jun 2023 the State of Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles required that each applicant for a title change or registration of any bus to motorhome fill out form VN-102, Out-of-State Registration Certification, and get your home state DMV/BMV authorized representative to sign the form. The DMV/BMV representative is certifying that your home state does NOT require residents to register their vehicles in your home state.

Sounds like the loophole has been closed.
cz49vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:46 PM   #2256
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cz49vf View Post
hello,

i just wanted to share with everyone that as of jun 2023 the state of vermont department of motor vehicles required that each applicant for a title change or registration of any bus to motorhome fill out form vn-102, out-of-state registration certification, and get your home state dmv/bmv authorized representative to sign the form. The dmv/bmv representative is certifying that your home state does not require residents to register their vehicles in your home state.

Sounds like the loophole has been closed.

citation please
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 05:59 PM   #2257
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Mine came back BU. Not happy about it. Called them and they said because it is a bus body it will always be a bus where it says body type. But they said it is a motorhome license plate. Does anyone have a way to run a plate number the way a cop would and see what shows up? Seems they would see it as a school bus.

An update on this. I emailed Vermont with all my info and a statement that the bus has been converted and painted, as per their requirements. I did get an email back saying that the BU was a mistake and should be MH. They mailed a corrected registration. So I am all legal now.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #2258
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
citation please

I just looked it up and he is correct. It is a new policy.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:01 PM   #2259
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I just looked it up and he is correct. It is a new policy.

Ok

Citation please

As a civil rights activist (and Criminal Justice minor, class of '14) I can't tell you the number of times I've heard "that's illegal" or "you can't do that". When asked to cite the law it can't be produced. So, I like to have the citation and then look it up myself.

Besides, we have a website and YouTube channel with "VT method" information so having the citation would allow us to update our info.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:12 PM   #2260
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ham - you have google same as anyone else.. its you that maintain a site about VT reg info so go get the info.. not everyone has time to go and supposedly properly Cite a source.. dont believe a person then go look it up.. you'll find your answer as to whether they are BSing or whether its truth... pretty easy..

activists drive me crazy because they got all up in arms over something yet wont take the time to go look it up thenselves if its not to be believed...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote