Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #1141
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Vermont seems Wierd anyway allowing non residents to title and register vehicles there. Heck even as a Florida resident with an apartment I couldnít register a vehicle until I switched my driver license.. Ohio will issue trip permit and temp tags to non resident for a vehicle already titled in the state ..

Iím sure Vermont must go through an ownership search before issuing ownership papers to someone ..

As for having a copy of a paper title like Marc does anyone can do it and keep one. Doesnít mean itís valid or a negotiable instrument. In Ohio I can walk into the title agency and say I lost my title. Theyíll make me a new one which becomes the valid one.. if I moved and transferred then the new one is what imwould be sureendered to the new state. Iíd still have my old non valid Ohio title that to anyone would look valid.. if I wanted to defraud someone I could attempt and would become a felon... no thanks.
Itís just a piece of paper Marc has..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #1142
Bus Nut

The registration is usually required by the state where the car is garaged, nothing to do with the legal domicile of the owner.

Millions of vehicles are registered all over the US by owners who have their licence in other states or even other countries.

Just as millions of second/third etc homes are owned by non-residents, and vehicles connected to the property are registered to that address

Of course each state can make up their own requirements, including for how they satisfy themselves you are the legal owner, they do not have to answer to anyone else, federal law does not interfere in these issues. But "ownership searches" are certainly not mandated anywhere.

Vermont obviously has gone farther off the reservation than most, but it's only in allowing the process to be done by mail, and only requiring inspections of vehicles actually in state, not in allowing non-residents to register VT vehicles.

We are in most cases the ones violating the laws of the state where the VT reg'd vehicle resides for X months not getting local reg, but obviously that's not VT's concern.

The real takeaway is, all these issues have many variations, it all depends on the State regs, and often in edge cases local DMV and LEO bureaucrats aren't aware of the finer points.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #1143
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
we as skoolie owners have enough troubles with titles and registration that we do not need to end up being stuck with a bus sold without valid ownership papers. So i would hope if marc were to ever sell the bus he would give the vermont papers, and if he felt the old no longer valid title should go with it fine, but not the other way around. It is really all i am asking.
this is my problem with this to with having enough problems with this concern for most it just sucks that people are doing this and not understanding what it means warewolf started this thread with tried and true documentation to a legal way for us to all register are vehicles. Trying to now play with the paperwork on the back end will hurt us all in the long run i cant believe with all the members on here we dont have one who works or has family that works for the dmv in some state. I dont think its fed controlled but i would think for a state like vt to give out legal ownership papers such as a transferable registration they dont do a quick title search.
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #1144

Hi All,
Hope I can find someone with answers here....I've read allot of this thread and found some great info here. Thanks!! But I still have questions...

We just bought our first bus.....woohoo! Really excited and have already started on the tear down/conversion.

AND trying to get our paperwork done.

I'm in California... our bus was originally a Cali bus, but I believe the title was lost and the previous owner went the Vermont route to get a transferable registration which I know is also like a title. BUT the bus is still registered as a bus, not a motor home.

So I have a Vermont bill of sale & the Vermont transferable registration which expires July 2020.
I am wondering how to go about getting the bus designated a motor home in Vermont and if I can do it at the same time as the ownership transfer?

And if I can do both at the same time...do I fill out the form as a "New registration" or "Transfer"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Rebel Pony Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #1145
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pony Girl View Post
Hi All,
Hope I can find someone with answers here....I've read allot of this thread and found some great info here. Thanks!! But I still have questions...

We just bought our first bus.....woohoo! Really excited and have already started on the tear down/conversion.

AND trying to get our paperwork done.

I'm in California... our bus was originally a Cali bus, but I believe the title was lost and the previous owner went the Vermont route to get a transferable registration which I know is also like a title. BUT the bus is still registered as a bus, not a motor home.

So I have a Vermont bill of sale & the Vermont transferable registration which expires July 2020.
I am wondering how to go about getting the bus designated a motor home in Vermont and if I can do it at the same time as the ownership transfer?

And if I can do both at the same time...do I fill out the form as a "New registration" or "Transfer"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
This will be easy for you. Just reapply for a MH registration. Go on line, get the application and fill it out. There will be a space to designate it a MH.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:01 AM   #1146
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Warewolff,
You have mentioned several times that you've used Vermont to register motorcycles (but obviously not as Motor Homes!). I'm buying an SUV and outfitting it for camping. I'm in NY and know my insurance would be very high. Would it be possible, do you think, for me to reg the SUV in Vermont as a camper/motor home to get a lower insurance rate? A GMC SUV is really a small truck, innit, so maybe not such a far-fetched idea? Or, whether reg'd in VT as a car or an RV, would there actually be no benefit for an SUV?

Also, I saw in another thread that you're in the process of making your legal domicile So. Dakota. I've been thinking of moving my legal domicile also, but I do currently receive some social services benefits from NYS so I might not be able to. I wonder if Icould somehow have an alternate address in a different state to be used only as a location for my "garage" where my vehicle supposedly would live while I live in NY?

If anyone reading this has ideas on either of my questions, please chime in.

Thanks.
Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #1147
Bus Nut

Sounds like possible fraudulent intent in both cases, fine until you get caught, or something happens.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #1148
Mini-Skoolie

I'm sure there have been people who own regular automobiles, not buses nor bikes, who have registered them in Vermont. So, what would be the reason to do that? What is the benefit? To save $$ and hassle in the registration process, mostly, I know. But then what? If someone is car camping, couldn't their vehicle be considered an RV, just as much as a bus that hasn't been converted yet, which was one of the reasons this thread began - that, and to find a way to get MH designation without providing proof of being one? And isn't one major reason for getting the Motor Home designation to be able to get cheaper insurance? And if your vehicle is garaged or driven mostly in a state other than where you legally reside, isn't it the other "garage state" that is used to determine your insurance premiums?
Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #1149
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
I'm sure there have been people who own regular automobiles, not buses nor bikes, who have registered them in Vermont. So, what would be the reason to do that? What is the benefit? To save $$ and hassle in the registration process, mostly, I know. But then what? If someone is car camping, couldn't their vehicle be considered an RV, just as much as a bus that hasn't been converted yet, which was one of the reasons this thread began - that, and to find a way to get MH designation without providing proof of being one? And isn't one major reason for getting the Motor Home designation to be able to get cheaper insurance? And if your vehicle is garaged or driven mostly in a state other than where you legally reside, isn't it the other "garage state" that is used to determine your insurance premiums?
The benefit is the ease in changing the registration to a MH than anywhere else. People are under the impression insurance is cheaper as an RV/MH, I'm not so sure. Your insurance will need to be purchased where the vehicle is kept. Insurance most times doesn't involve the registration at all, in fact i'm covered whether I'm registered or not. You will still need to prove to the i surance company that the RV conversion was completed.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #1150
Bus Nut

The whole purpose for regulators creating the MH designation is to provide an exemption from heavy truck (commercial) requirement.

Trying to convince anyone my tricked out Nissan Cube is an RV would be a laughable exercise in futility, basically trolling the bureaucracy for no purpose.