Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #421
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
That's great news! Did Louisiana ask you why the bus was registered in Vermont under your name if you were a resident of Louisiana?

That's my big question. Will my state (Arizona) ask me how I got my skoolie registered in Vermont if I wasn't a citizen there?
No, they sure didn't. They didn't know exactly what it was at first, so I said motor home RV and then they asked was how much was it worth, and I told them how much I paidfor it and that was it.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #422
Mini-Skoolie

Just got skoolie legal in Colorado

I just got my skoolie legal in Colorado the only thing they make you do is sign an affidavit saying you made the conversion get it weighed at a truck stop emissions it cost me total 437. To get tags title and registration 267 was tax for the 3500 I paid for the bus I got insurance through Progressive commercial they put me down as a handyman non business in a commercial vehicle my title is now a RV title it is really easy and Colorado Denver specifically
Nomadusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #423
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Any input on the license field on the registration form? It has a spot for Vermont License (actually says Vermont), but do i need to list my TX DL there?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #424
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Yes. It used to say "License", not "Vermont License". I just crossed out Vermont and put my license number in anyway. if you want to wait a week or two to be sure, I just switched the title into my wife's name and sent the paperwork in about a week ago. So I should have a definitive answer for you on that in a bit, unless someone else chimes in here and comments.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #425
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy
Rated Cap: 20
Any idea if this works for Canadian citizens. I just got my bus registered as a motor home in Ontario but insurance is ridiculous. Are there any very care free states that will insure vehicles from out of state/country if I register my vehicle with them without a permanent residence their?
Adventurbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #426
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Yes. It used to say "License", not "Vermont License". I just crossed out Vermont and put my license number in anyway. if you want to wait a week or two to be sure, I just switched the title into my wife's name and sent the paperwork in about a week ago. So I should have a definitive answer for you on that in a bit, unless someone else chimes in here and comments.
I'm gonna be sending it in Friday, trying to get legal for beginning of June so can't wait much longer. Would you mind if I sent you a PM to see if I filled this thing out right?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #427

I'm sending my paperwork in today via first class registered mail with the tracking. I live in CA so all you California skoolies will know if it works for us. Fingers crossed. I will update as soon as i know more.
Thewanderer6853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #428
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurbus View Post
Any idea if this works for Canadian citizens. I just got my bus registered as a motor home in Ontario but insurance is ridiculous. Are there any very care free states that will insure vehicles from out of state/country if I register my vehicle with them without a permanent residence their?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
I'm gonna be sending it in Friday, trying to get legal for beginning of June so can't wait much longer. Would you mind if I sent you a PM to see if I filled this thing out right?
I don't mind looking it over. There's also a sample uploaded in the original post as well ... I just got a call from DMV today and we forgot to put her birthday on it ... kind of embarrassing considering I prepared the tutorial. Nobody's perfect I guess.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #429
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
No.

I don't mind looking it over. There's also a sample uploaded in the original post as well ... I just got a call from DMV today and we forgot to put her birthday on it ... kind of embarrassing considering I prepared the tutorial. Nobody's perfect I guess.
Hey, things happen! Does that mean you have to redo it and send it in again?
Sounds like the license wasnt a problem though which makes me happy
Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #430
Bus Nut

Nope. Woman at DMV filled it in for us.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #431
Bus Nut

Paperwork in the mail and will be delivered by 3pm tomorrow in hopes of getting it back by end of the month. Hope everything goes fine!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #432
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadusa View Post
I just got my skoolie legal in Colorado the only thing they make you do is sign an affidavit saying you made the conversion get it weighed at a truck stop emissions it cost me total 437. To get tags title and registration 267 was tax for the 3500 I paid for the bus I got insurance through Progressive commercial they put me down as a handyman non business in a commercial vehicle my title is now a RV title it is really easy and Colorado Denver specifically
LUCKY! I just got off of the phone with them and an agent said they don't insure busses being converted or that has already been converted. Did you go into an office or call? How complete was your conversion?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #433
Bus Nut

Anyone ever delt with this company?

https://www.aisinsurance.com/
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #434
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Engine: DT360
Hello everyone,

Just got back from getting my bus registered in Vermont as a motorhome. Let me tell you this was the easiest trip to the dmv I have EVER had. Handed in the registration application and within five minutes I had tags in hand.

Only question he asked was: “you live in Colorado and get your mail in New York but are getting your ‘motorhome’ registered in Vermont....why?”

My answer: “I’m moving to Vermont next month”

Clerk: “okay”

Just don’t tell them what the weight is and you’ll be okay ����
fhazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #435
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhazie View Post
Hello everyone,

Just got back from getting my bus registered in Vermont as a motorhome. Let me tell you this was the easiest trip to the dmv I have EVER had. Handed in the registration application and within five minutes I had tags in hand.

Only question he asked was: “you live in Colorado and get your mail in New York but are getting your ‘motorhome’ registered in Vermont....why?”

Who did you get it insured through? And was that as easy?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 AM   #436
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I love it! I'm also planning on "moving to Vermont next month" so I will be sending in my request for registration.

Thanks for the feedback!
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #437
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Engine: DT360
Adic27 - insurance was just as easy. I’ve been insured through progressive as a ‘bus designed to carry less than 15 passengers’. Told the agent I’m a real estate agent (which is true) and will be using the vehicle to carry furniture (which is also true). Haven’t had a single issue for the last 14 months.

Oddball - Just fill the form out right with (motorhome #19) and don’t put the weight of the bus. According to the supervisor at the main office “that will just confuse people and delay your registration”. She also told me they’re about two weeks behind on opening their mail and recommended sending everything certified so that it requires a signature. That should speed everything up by a week or two. Best of luck my friend!!
fhazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #438
Bus Nut

Quote:
Adic27 - insurance was just as easy. I’ve been insured through progressive as a ‘bus designed to carry less than 15 passengers’. Told the agent I’m a real estate agent (which is true) and will be using the vehicle to carry furniture (which is also true). Haven’t had a single issue for the last 14 months.

Oddball - Just fill the form out right with (motorhome #19) and don’t put the weight of the bus. According to the supervisor at the main office “that will just confuse people and delay your registration”. She also told me they’re about two weeks behind on opening their mail and recommended sending everything certified so that it requires a signature. That should speed everything up by a week or two. Best of luck my friend!!
Dang, I didn't ask for Sig because it was gonna be delivered on a Saturday, and I filled in the weight. I guessed on weight anyways because it wasn't on my title or any of my paperwork. Copied weight from the bluebird in the example form on page 1, lol. Wrote in loaded weight as 26,000 to see what happens
Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #439
Bus Nut

Quote:
In those 14 months was it Progressive Commercial? Is that what you have now or did you change it to personal or something? I'm trying to get my bus insured so I can get it registered. that' the first thing I have to do but Progressive says they don't insure school buses that are being converted or has been converted. Maybe it's becuase I called Progressive Commercial?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #440
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
In those 14 months was it Progressive Commercial? Is that what you have now or did you change it to personal or something? I'm trying to get my bus insured so I can get it registered. that' the first thing I have to do but Progressive says they don't insure school buses that are being converted or has been converted. Maybe it's becuase I called Progressive Commercial?
progressive commercial is the one and they dont insure converted busses.. but you use them until your bus is converted to a point where one of the RV insurance companies will insure you... to them its a BUS until you convert it to a motorhome..

some people have been cancelled when their title is changed from a bus to a motorhome.. in my case one of my busses came with a motorhome title, the other with a bus title.. progressive insures them both and sends me renewal notices each year... in fact i just did mine.. so it may be state specific also..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote