Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #701
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Confused. I thought "tags" was just slang for license plates? What other meaning does tags have?
The yearly expiration sticker is considered a "Tag". You have a plate and a tag.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #702
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Goshen, GMC
Chassis: C5500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Rated Cap: More than 1
Got a question for everyone with Vermont registrations. Have you ever been questioned by any law officer about a inspection sticker while traveling outside of Vermont? I don't plan on speeding or drawing attention in general, just would like to know your past experiences. If any. I have legal VT registration but have not road tripped to get inspected yet.
B.Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #703
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The yearly expiration sticker is considered a "Tag". You have a plate and a tag.
Aha thanks, haven't yet registered in a state that used such stickers
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #704
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Rubble View Post
questioned by any law officer about a inspection sticker while traveling outside of Vermont
The requirements for **any** inspection process vary wildly not only between states, but at the local level within many states.

I find it hard to believe the issue would come up with a LEO outside the state of registration.

If it did, answering "in this case Vermont does not have an inspection requirement" would be a perfectly truthful answer.

"This vehicle has been around here long enough you must register locally" is really the only legal Achilles' heel I can see.

No such problem for those constantly moving between states of course, but a big one potentially for those staying put, taking a long time to finish their conversion.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #705
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The requirements for **any** inspection process vary wildly not only between states, but at the local level within many states.

I find it hard to believe the issue would come up with a LEO outside the state of registration.

If it did, answering "in this case Vermont does not have an inspection requirement" would be a perfectly truthful answer.

"This vehicle has been around here long enough you must register locally" is really the only legal Achilles' heel I can see.

No such problem for those constantly moving between states of course, but a big one potentially for those staying put, taking a long time to finish their conversion.
Much appreciated, and agreed. I am parked on private property 99% of the time. We travel sporadically. I'm not worried about the locals at all. They are a decent bunch. I also agree that it shouldn't even come up. I like to be prepared. Inspection is the best solution, but I'm lazy...LMAO... Thank you.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #706
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

"Th
I love this, This is what will make me feel ok about it.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #707
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Rubble View Post
I love this, This is what will make me feel ok about it.
Except it's bullshit. Vermont does have an inspection requirement and I think it's 14 days.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #708
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Except it's bullshit. Vermont does have an inspection requirement and I think it's 14 days.
Ignorance for the law is not an excuse. I understand the states requirements. However, if the proper verbage used in a situation gets me out of the inconvenience of a citation, I'm ok with it.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #709
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Only if the vehicle is **in Vermont**.

Otherwise they would just lapse the rego when the deadline has passed, easy peasy, just means flipping a bit in the database and the vehicle becomes illegal and uninsured nationwide.

Fact they don't do that, fact you can even do what this thread is about in the first place, shows they don't care.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #710
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its amazing vermont issues tags for non residents in the first place.. they must use the DMV as a cash cow..

I couldnt even get a florida tag or florida parking permit when I had a real verifiable residence in the state... since my driver license wasnt florida they wouldnt issue me anything... ohio is the same way.. vermont is unusual it seems..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #711
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
its amazing vermont issues tags for non residents in the first place.

South Dakota is the same way. I don't know how the process works, exactly, but I know that residency is not a requirement to title and register a vehicle in SD.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #712
Bus Geek

Quote:
Vermont is unusual it seems
Understatement of the year and why this thread exists.

Fantastic would be a better word, especially not needing to do anything in person.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #713
Bus Geek

Quote:
I couldnt even get a florida tag or florida parking permit when I had a real verifiable residence in the state... since my driver license wasnt florida they wouldnt issue me anything... ohio is the same way..
I have to question the non-resident thing, millions of Americans have locally-registered vehicles they garage at vacation homes in multiple states.

Especially true for Florida.

I bet if you already own or rent property you can register a vehicle too. Or even just prove the property you want to register stays in the state, definitely true for boats.

In fact a vehicle staying for any length of time **has to** be registered and pay tax locally, in every state I know about.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #714
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Agreed! Ohio is a pita, you can’t even get a formal title issued without the VIN being verified in person. So buying out of state and doing paperwork ahead is impossible. I only wish it was half as easy as Vermont here
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #715
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
I may go this route. Would VT put my CT address on the title? That would seem odd.

Joe
TeacherJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #716
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherJoe View Post
I may go this route. Would VT put my CT address on the title? That would seem odd.

Joe
Yes. I have a California address on my Vermont registration and title.
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #717
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Also, has anybody had to prove it’s an RV, according to VT definition? From the VT DMV web site:
CAN I USE AN OLD SCHOOL BUS AS A MOTOR HOME?

In order to convert an old school bus into an RV/Motor Home you must meet the following requirement:

Vermont Law 32 VSA §8902(11) defines a “Motor Home,” it states:

“means a new or used pleasure car designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into the integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van. The vehicle must contain at least four of the following facilities; cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a sink and faucet, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, and/or an LP gas supply.”

If it does not have four of these items the use of the vehicle cannot be changed from a bus/school bus to an RV. Just by taking out a “few seats” and adding “some beds” does not in itself change the purpose of the vehicle. You would still need to install at least four more of the above items. If you fail to do that the vehicle’s purpose would remain a school bus which would require the operator to have the appropriate license and endorsements.

Additionally; the vehicle must be painted a color different than glossy school bus yellow and the eight way light system must be removed.

Joe
TeacherJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #718
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
@TeacherJoe

While your question is if anyone has had to prove it, I’m sure there are, but I have not. I also haven’t and don’t plan on driving it in Vermont. So I don’t think I will need to have it inspected there.

My plan is to register it in California when I’m done converting it. With it already registered as a MH, I won’t have to have it inspected here, nor do I have to deal with the emissions regulations of a commercial vehicle here as it’s no longer a commercial vehicle.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #719
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

Joe
Ct. DMV is one of the toughest I know of. They require that residents vehicle be registered there after a short (30 days) I believe.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #720
Bus Geek

Quote:
Also, has anybody had to prove it’s an RV, according to VT definition?
All that only pertains to if you actually drive in in VT, and yes they inspect it.

But stay out of VT, no worries.