Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #801
Bus Geek

Even cops can sometimes use common sense.

Most states are not that rigid when it comes to true nomads.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 AM   #802
Mini-Skoolie

Just got my plates today!
jamesd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #803

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated Jan 4 2019

UPDATE: Per the moderator of this forum, this POST will be kept updated with the most recent information based on member experiences. Registration costs increase by a few dollars every now and then so check for yourself before sending out your money.
-----
I've used this method frequently for old abandoned motorcycles I bought that had no title.

Many states have hoops that they'll make you jump through before they'll designate your skoolie as an RV. "Meet four out of seven requirements" or such nonsense. New York, where I reside, is one of those states. They are a PITA with everything vehicle related, and I know many states are following in the same suit.

Vermont, on the other hand, is not one of these states. As of the date I'm writing this, all they requested from me was that I remove the school insignia and repaint the bus. They didn't require an inspection or proof of conversion. It should be noted, however, that I have a bus with hydraulic brakes -- although, under motor home classification they don't even ask about air brakes. Check with your state to see if you need anything extra to drive with air brakes.

Vermont will offer a transferrable registration for any vehicle over 15 years old. They won't give you a title -- but fear not, you can use this registration to then title your bus in your resident state if it's really that big of an issue. Realistically, it shouldn't be. I have been using out of state plates in NY for years without issue. If your bus is newer than 15 years you will receive a bonafide Vermont title.

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

- You can skip Sections 2 and 3A. To be safe, I completed 3B with the sellers info.

- Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use.

- Fill out Section 5 with the relevant info from your title. If you do not have a title, fill it out as best you can. Beneath that, just to be safe, I listed the amount of axles, empty weight, and gross weight of my bus under "trucks".

- Under Section 6, write in the price you purchased the bus for. Vermont uses the purchase value -- or the listed NADA value -- whichever is greater, to calculate sales tax. Most buses are not listed in NADA. In this case, simply use 6 percent of what you paid for the bus. In my case, 2550 x .06(%) = $153. Write your total under "Net Taxable".

- Leave Section 7 blank unless you are tax exempt or purchasing a vehicle over 25 yrs old. I do not know how that works if your vehicle is older.

Add up your fees in Section 9 and figure out the total. For most of us, this should just be the registration fee for a Motor Home (As of now, $76 for one year or $140 for two years) and the tax calculated previously in Section 6.

If, however, your bus is newer than 15 years, and you are expecting a title back, include an extra $35 title fee. Check should be issued to "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" for the total combined amount. For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

So just to be repetitive:

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

Sign your application at the bottom and mail all that stuff in to the Vermont DMV at:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Wait 2 weeks and call to check the status of your application. If there are no problems turnaround is generally 2-3 weeks.

As of 10/29/18, turnaround time is between 3-4 weeks. Registration generally takes the full month. Please plan accordingly.

Your bus is now legally registered as an RV regardless of your geographic location and the title or transferable registration that was issued will make it possible to retitle your bus in your home state with (hopefully) no issues, should you so choose. For most of us full timers it doesn't really matter as we're all over the place geographically.

Hope this helps everyone else struggling in the more difficult states. Leave a comment and tell me about your experiences.

Examples:

do i need a temporary tag and insurance to drive bus home if two hours away in same state? thanks
iherzmark@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #804
Bus Geek

In theory yes of course

Plenty of people not too risk averse, take their chances.

Getting at least insurance is considered some indication of good faith.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #805
Mini-Skoolie

Hi everyone!

I’ve been doing some reading through this thread for months now, and I can’t seem to find anyone in a similar situation as mine.

I purchased a bus that was already registered in Vermont as a bus (BU). If I wanted to re-register it in Vermont with a motor home (MH) title would I go about filling out the form the same as I would if it weren’t previously registered to Vermont?

Not sure if it matters, but I’m done with the conversion process other than a few cosmetic things here and there. But I have a fully functioning kitchen, propane, water, sleeping area, and bathroom.

Any insight is appreciated! Can’t wait to get her on the road!
Happycamperhealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #806
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iherzmark@gmail.com View Post
do i need a temporary tag and insurance to drive bus home if two hours away in same state? thanks
I strongly recommend that you not ever drive on a public roadway without liability insurance.

Nobody plans to have an accident. Maybe that is why they call it an accident.

The last accident I was in resulted in resulted in a $25k insurance claim for just my truck. That doesn't count the damage to the guys car that caused the accident.

If the guy that caused it had not had insurance then my insurance company would have paid the claim and gone after him to recover the money. Attach his bank account, house etc. It's called "subrogation".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #807
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I strongly recommend that you not ever drive on a public roadway without liability insurance.

Nobody plans to have an accident. Maybe that is why they call it an accident.

The last accident I was in resulted in resulted in a $25k insurance claim for just my truck. That doesn't count the damage to the guys car that caused the accident.

If the guy that caused it had not had insurance then my insurance company would have paid the claim and gone after him to recover the money. Attach his bank account, house etc. It's called "subrogation".
Actually subrogation is a legal right held by insurance companies to collect. Usually the victims insurance will pay off the claim and then subrogate against the at fault parties insurance company. In your case you would have had to sue him civilly
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #808
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have a bus that is older than 15 years. I just mailed my VT registration in today, and included only form VD-119, a copy of my PA title (in my name), and a check for the required amount. I called the Vermont DMV first and they told me that because I'm sending a title that is already in my name, I did not need to include a Bill of Sale (which is a relief since I didn't get one for the eBay sale) or a VIN verification form (which is a relief since the local cops said there was no effing way they would do it).

I think the key difference here (which sent me into a panic until I just called the Vermont DMV) is that I've already titled the bus in my name in PA, instead of sending a title that was just transferred.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #809
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Actually subrogation is a legal right held by insurance companies to collect. Usually the victims insurance will pay off the claim and then subrogate against the at fault parties insurance company. In your case you would have had to sue him civilly
Not in my experience.

I have dealt with it first hand. If the person at fault has no insurance, my insurance will pay the claim even though I was not at fault. Then they will pursue recovery of the money from the at fault party.

I didn't have to sue. State Farm took care of me and then went after the uninsured driver and collected.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #810
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I have a bus that is older than 15 years. I just mailed my VT registration in today, and included only form VD-119, a copy of my PA title (in my name), and a check for the required amount. I called the Vermont DMV first and they told me that because I'm sending a title that is already in my name, I did not need to include a Bill of Sale (which is a relief since I didn't get one for the eBay sale) or a VIN verification form (which is a relief since the local cops said there was no effing way they would do it).

I think the key difference here (which sent me into a panic until I just called the Vermont DMV) is that I've already titled the bus in my name in PA, instead of sending a title that was just transferred.
I'm in a similar situation in Washington state. My bus is already titled in my name. Did you need to pay the sales tax to Vermont since you had (I assume) paid the tax in PA? I've been wondering about re-titling a vehicle that is already titled to me. Whenever I've obtained a new title in my name, it has always been because of a change in ownership, because I've bought the vehicle from someone else. Having read this thread from front to back, this is the first time I've encountered anyone re-titling a vehicle they ALREADY owned. I'm curious how this will work out for you. My bus is a 2005, so this is the last year I can actually get a title from Vermont.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 PM   #811
Bus Geek

In Washington, and many other states, if you show that you paid tax on the purchase in another state you don't have to pay it again.

If you buy someplace with a lower tax rate you have to pay the difference.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #812

I just received my VT plates and a few days later came the tab & registration. However, I don’t see anywhere on the registration referencing “motor home” or “rv”. I filled out the application exactly as it shows in this thread, putting “mh” in the registration type box. How can I tell it’s actually registered as an RV?

UPDATE: I found it. It says MH in Body.
ItJustGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #813

Thanks for being so detailed! This is a complicated process and anyone willing to take the time to go into such detail is greatly appreciated. With that being said, I was hoping to get some clarification on a few points.

I'm about to purchase a gutted 2003 International School Bus (w/ many of the interior materials needed for completion.) Which puts the bus past the 15> year 'titling' limit but I can still do the 'registration'. So...

1. Is the point of getting the Motor home registration also to have it be easier to insure? And do I do that in Vermont as well? As a motor home? Even if it's not finished?

2. What exactly does the term 'transferable registration' mean? Can I hold it from year to year as long as I continue to register the vehicle in Vermont? Or does is it a temporary arrangement to create a platform for registration in your own state?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
ErmaJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #814
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmaJen View Post
Thanks for being so detailed! This is a complicated process and anyone willing to take the time to go into such detail is greatly appreciated. With that being said, I was hoping to get some clarification on a few points.

I'm about to purchase a gutted 2003 International School Bus (w/ many of the interior materials needed for completion.) Which puts the bus past the 15> year 'titling' limit but I can still do the 'registration'. So...

1. Is the point of getting the Motor home registration also to have it be easier to insure? And do I do that in Vermont as well? As a motor home? Even if it's not finished?

2. What exactly does the term 'transferable registration' mean? Can I hold it from year to year as long as I continue to register the vehicle in Vermont? Or does is it a temporary arrangement to create a platform for registration in your own state?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Yes, the reason is to get lower rates for an RV than bus. But beware that while you have a registration for an RV if you file an insurance claim and it's not converted they will deny your claim. Your Insurance may require pics or inspection to make sure the conversion meets requirements or they won't even write the policy. A lot of people are getting away with what seems minor, I hope it does not bite them in the end.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #815
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I'm in a similar situation in Washington state. My bus is already titled in my name. Did you need to pay the sales tax to Vermont since you had (I assume) paid the tax in PA? I've been wondering about re-titling a vehicle that is already titled to me. Whenever I've obtained a new title in my name, it has always been because of a change in ownership, because I've bought the vehicle from someone else. Having read this thread from front to back, this is the first time I've encountered anyone re-titling a vehicle they ALREADY owned. I'm curious how this will work out for you. My bus is a 2005, so this is the last year I can actually get a title from Vermont.
Mine is a 2003 so I can't get the title from VT, only the registration. That was why I had to get the PA title first - at least that's what I thought, but I misunderstood the general instructions in this thread and didn't realize I could have sent a copy of the signed-over NY title + Bill of Sale + VIN verification to Vermont and gotten back a Motor Home registration, and then theoretically I could have taken the signed-over title + VT motor home registration to the PA dmv and gotten a PA motor home title + a PA motor home registration and been completely good. Except I don't think that would have happened, because the signed-over title still said "BUS" on it and PA won't turn that into a Motor Home designation on the PA title with a state inspection of the conversion.

God, my brain hurts just having typed that. If I had the slightest inkling of the bureaucratic hassle of all this I would never have started. I guess it's good because it makes the actual physical tasks of transforming the bus seem pretty trivial.

I did pay the tax for the VT registration as well as for the PA title.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #816
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItJustGoes View Post
I just received my VT plates and a few days later came the tab & registration. However, I don’t see anywhere on the registration referencing “motor home” or “rv”. I filled out the application exactly as it shows in this thread, putting “mh” in the registration type box. How can I tell it’s actually registered as an RV?

UPDATE: I found it. It says MH in Body.
According to the Vermont DMV person I talked to, your registration is really just for a car (on the VD-119 form you can see that "19" is the type number for both car and Motor Home).
Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #817
Bus Geek

Your bus can be registered as MH but while not yet converted, pay the higher "commercial for personal use only" rate on insurance for peace of mind.

All depends on each state as to why the VT reg tool is used, in some cases would simply not be allowed otherwise.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #818
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Your bus can be registered as MH but while not yet converted, pay the higher "commercial for personal use only" rate on insurance for peace of mind.
That's what I have done with my buses. I checked with my insurance company and verified that it was not an issue.

To confirm that: A tree fell on one of my unconverted buses that is registered as an RV and insured commercial for personal. Insurance company paid the claim without hesitation.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #819

Nice job, thank you for your hard work
Plathera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #820
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That's what I have done with my buses. I checked with my insurance company and verified that it was not an issue.

To confirm that: A tree fell on one of my unconverted buses that is registered as an RV and insured commercial for personal. Insurance company paid the claim without hesitation.
How much was the claim for? I was under the impression that commercial for personal would only cover liability, not any damage to the bus itself from whatever source.