Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #821
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
How much was the claim for? I was under the impression that commercial for personal would only cover liability, not any damage to the bus itself from whatever source.
I didn't have any trouble getting full coverage.

The claim was $2200. Paid $2500 for the bus and sold it with dents for $3000.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #822

Engine: 6.2 diesel
I got my plates in 2 weeks.
tclifenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #823

Amazing information! My application for Vermont registration of my 2001 Thomas MVP was delivered today. If all goes smoothly I will post an image of how I filled it all out to add to the collection. Thanks for this thread, makes life converting a bus a little less stressful! 😁👍🏻🚌💨
Zak of all Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #824
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 03
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Why would PA hold up law on VT vehicle inspection?
Are you sure you need to worry, if not driving in VT?
Bigdaadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #825
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger 30K GVRW
Talking

Successfully took a drive to VT and got my plates.

Reg Form

Bill of Sale (From **Dealer**) bypassed my 'vin check'
Out of State Title

60 day temp reg is basically the Reg form with a stamp on it from them. 15 days for me to get it 'inspected' and the sticker(tags) will come in the mail, along with the permanent, transferable reg paper.

Good stuff! Thanks WarewulfF

Dave aka Ghan
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #826

Year: TBD
Thanks for this information, but I am still somewhat confused: How do I as a Massachusetts resident get Vermont to register my bus that was probably bought in another state (haven't gotten it yet, need to make sure I can title/register legally in Mass)? Don't I need an address in Vermont to claim Vermont registration??
sswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #827
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswanson View Post
Thanks for this information, but I am still somewhat confused: How do I as a Massachusetts resident get Vermont to register my bus that was probably bought in another state (haven't gotten it yet, need to make sure I can title/register legally in Mass)? Don't I need an address in Vermont to claim Vermont registration??
Vermont is happy to collect title and registration fees from people who don't live there.

You can title and register by mail and they will mail you documents and plates.

Follow the instructions above and it is a pretty straight forward process.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #828
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
You don't have to be a resident in vermont to register a vehicle. You should get it looked at by a police officer to verify the vin # and the officer signs that form to prove its not stolen. All the forms are listed on here and you can download them. I would register it in vermont to drive it home as they do not require insurance proof either. Be advised driving a bus is different though. So buy the bus get the paperwork bring paperwork to vermont register bus then bring new plates to bus and put them on and drive it home.... unless the seller lets you use plates to move it with. We tried in mass and they don't even know what ti do to register it there. So we did vermont never drove the bus with the vermont plates we just went to mass and transferred the registration from vermont to mass.
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #829
Bus Geek

Many states offer temporary/trip permits. Here in WA they are $15 and good for three or four days.

Regarding insurance.......

None of us plans on having an accident. Maybe that is why they call it an accident...,

The last accident that I was in the guy at fault's insurance had to cover damages to four vehicles and the medical bills for one guy that left the scene in an ambulance. The claim for damage to my truck was over $26,000. I have no idea what the total claims were. I suspect that it may have approached $100,000.

Without insurance he would have been f#$@ed financially.

Don't take the chance
Old 04-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #830
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Many states offer temporary/trip permits. Here in WA they are $15 and good for three or four days.

Regarding insurance.......

None of us plans on having an accident. Maybe that is why they call it an accident...,

The last accident that I was in the guy at fault's insurance had to cover damages to four vehicles and the medical bills for one guy that left the scene in an ambulance. The claim for damage to my truck was over $26,000. I have no idea what the total claims were. I suspect that it may have approached $100,000.

Without insurance he would have been f#$@ed financially.

Don't take the chance
in BC, you are required to get a moving permit from the jurisdiction you buy a vehicle in, then send a photo copy of the permit to your insurance agent - they send back a copy of the temporary insurance - I checked and there is no problem registering a skoolie as a motor home once the conversion reaches a certain point ( 4 out of 6 or 7 choices )
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #831
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
in BC, you are required to get a moving permit from the jurisdiction you buy a vehicle in, then send a photo copy of the permit to your insurance agent - they send back a copy of the temporary insurance - I checked and there is no problem registering a skoolie as a motor home once the conversion reaches a certain point ( 4 out of 6 or 7 choices )
Many jurisdictions require that you show proof of insurance in order to register. WA and VT do not. They both require some manner of financial responsibility such as insurance but you don't have to show proof in order to get your registration.

Here in WA the law does not require insurance. They require "financial responsibility". I drove a work rig for several years that had no insurance. My employer kept a certain amount of money in an account designated to pay claims. All legal.

Most of us don't have the financial resources to self insure.

Get insurance,.........
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #832
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
You don't have to be a resident in vermont to register a vehicle. You should get it looked at by a police officer to verify the vin # and the officer signs that form to prove its not stolen. All the forms are listed on here and you can download them. I would register it in vermont to drive it home as they do not require insurance proof either. Be advised driving a bus is different though. So buy the bus get the paperwork bring paperwork to vermont register bus then bring new plates to bus and put them on and drive it home.... unless the seller lets you use plates to move it with. We tried in mass and they don't even know what ti do to register it there. So we did vermont never drove the bus with the vermont plates we just went to mass and transferred the registration from vermont to mass.
Many people are under the false impression you don't have to have any kind of insurance in New Hampshire. While having conventional insurance is not required, showing financial responsibility is. This means purchasing a bond and having the paperwork with you in the event of an accident. Those without insurance are still liable for damages. I'm still lost on why so many people go to Vermont to get a registration. Registration should be easy to get anywhere. Whether it's what you want it to say or not could determine if the course you are taking is fraudulent or not.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #833
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm still lost on why so many people go to Vermont to get a registration. Registration should be easy to get anywhere. Whether it's what you want it to say or not could determine if the course you are taking is fraudulent or not.
From what I’ve been able to tell, some states allow you to change the title to one that classifies it as an rv. I guess this may result in lower insurance rates. VA has no such classification so when I finally get my bus I’ll just register it as a private truck. Insurance may be a bit more than one classified as an rv from the factory, but that’s the price I’ll have to pay to stay legal as long as I live here. At least everything will be legit if something ever happens (accident). And VA DMV does regularly check databases to verify your vehicle is insured. I’ve received notices several times over the years to send them proof of insurance for vehicles I have registered.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #834
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
From what I’ve been able to tell, some states allow you to change the title to one that classifies it as an rv. I guess this may result in lower insurance rates. VA has no such classification so when I finally get my bus I’ll just register it as a private truck. Insurance may be a bit more than one classified as an rv from the factory, but that’s the price I’ll have to pay to stay legal as long as I live here. At least everything will be legit if something ever happens (accident). And VA DMV does regularly check databases to verify your vehicle is insured. I’ve received notices several times over the years to send them proof of insurance for vehicles I have registered.
I understand having paper work to show you're legal to LEO, and as long as you are good with that, cool. But once you have a title that says motor home or RV and try and get the cheaper RV insurance you're going to find them not as forgiving as those at the DMV who have no financial stake in it. They will want an inspection or pics of the required conversion. One agent said they believed what the clients declared and if it turned out false when a claim was filed it would be rejected. I know I live in a pretty lenient state but it's easy to register my bus as a bus and insure it for $171/yr while it sits in the driveway. When it's done State Farm will take it over as an RV. It should be that easy for everyone.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:33 AM   #835
Bus Geek

Everything that can be said on these topics varies by state.

Just ask your agent if the insurance company has some requirements in order to insure the bus as a MH/RV beyond what the titling / registration state does.

It is not a question of fraud, lying etc, just how officialdom defines these term and everything has to be spelled out in writing.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #836
Mini-Skoolie

Just shipped out!

Sent out my form, bill of sale, letter of intent, original title, and money order on 4/12/19, wish me luck!
Happycamperhealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:57 AM   #837
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 03
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
>>>>>Snip>>>>>>ne agent said they believed what the clients declared and if it turned out false when a claim was filed it would be rejected. I know I live in a pretty lenient state but it's easy to register my bus as a bus and insure it for $171/yr while it sits in the driveway. When it's done State Farm will take it over as an RV. It should be that easy for everyone.
When I went to insure my Bookmobile , progressive ( progressive was the only one I could get to talk to me) looked at the VIN AND MADE THE QUOTE FROM THERE.
How is registering the machine in VT (I'm 2 hrs away) gonna change the way progressive looks at the vehicle?
They are using the VIN not any designation on the title. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Bigdaadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 AM   #838
Almost There

Year: 1998
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger 30K GVRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaadio View Post
When I went to insure my Bookmobile , progressive ( progressive was the only one I could get to talk to me) looked at the VIN AND MADE THE QUOTE FROM THERE.

How is registering the machine in VT (I'm 2 hrs away) gonna change the way progressive looks at the vehicle?

They are using the VIN not any designation on the title. Am I missing something?

Thanks
No. They're simply not tied together. The only time there would be correspondence is if insurance was dropped on a vehicle with a lien, or in some states, the other direction if they're verifying insurance exists at all.

Dave aka Ghan
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #839
Bus Geek

Often working with a knowledgeable agent experienced in RVs, trailers and DIY conversions will be more helpful than trying to deal directly with the insurance company.

They have relationships directly with the underwriters that assess your risk variables.

Your past claims history, detailed documentation on the build process etc all play a part in the yes/no and rate charged.

Dealing with old-school humans, not canned algorithms alone.

Holding an approved RV registration I'm sure can be a factor even if not a major one.

But everything varies by state.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #840
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaadio View Post
Thanks
And this is my point. People register in Vermont because you can get it registered as an RV without an inspection. This supposedly will get you cheaper insurance rates. But a quality insurance company will not insure it as an RV until the conversion is done. If you happen to get a policy without the conversion in the event of a claim you won't be covered. I would only use Vermont if I had issues in my state registering the bus as a bus. My conversion period policy is only $171/yr.

PROGRESSIVE is no longer insuring converted school buses. They will not renew the existing policies.