Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #901
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I called the local county Sheriff at 5:50pm (Friday evening on a holiday) to schedule a VIN verification. Showed up at 6:30 completed the form and left within 5 minutes. But he messed up listing it as being registered in VT.(it's not registered anywhere) and put Dawsonville for the city, I doubt there's a Dawsonville in Vt. Just a couple of questions to get answered on the phone and off goes my app for personal plates.
If you already have a title in your name, you don't need the VIN verification. At least I didn't - maybe I just got lucky.

musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #902
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
If you already have a title in your name, you don't need the VIN verification. At least I didn't - maybe I just got lucky.
You sent your title in with the registration and they gave you a Vt. title?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #903
Bus Geek

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?p=326361
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #904
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
VT does not issue titles for older, full stop.

But as just clarified, that doesn't matter, when you transfer rego to your new jurisdiction you can get them to issue a new one if appropriate.

The existing title becomes useless scrap soon as registered elsewhere, if you want to keep it, historical interest only.
Well said.

I have been surprised at the confusion......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 PM   #905
Bus Geek

I'm still confused. Vt. will take my title, throw it in the trash and register my bus there. I no longer have a title for my bus. Ga. requires a title for anything newer than 1962. How do I register my bus in Ga. now that I don't have a title?

The way around that is:
You can title a 1963-1985 year model vehicle if:

You have a title issued in your name;
The owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to you;
The owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to a dealer and the dealer has assigned the title to you.
When I sell my bus that is registered in Vt. You get a valid signed Title from Ga.with no plates or registration or insurance on it.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #906
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm still confused. Vt. will take my title, throw it in the trash and register my bus there. I no longer have a title for my bus. Ga. requires a title for anything newer than 1962. How do I register my bus in Ga. now that I don't have a title?

The way around that is:
You can title a 1963-1985 year model vehicle if:

You have a title issued in your name;
The owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to you;
The owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to a dealer and the dealer has assigned the title to you.
When I sell my bus that is registered in Vt. You get a valid signed Title from Ga.with no plates or registration or insurance on it.
Every vehicle I gave owned over the last 40 years has had separate title and registration. This is in six different states. When I read about Vermont's transferable registration I wondered how that would play if I needed to transfer from VT to WA.

I Called DOL and asked. They put me on hold for a bit and came back and told me: "yes we can transfer ownership with a VT transferrable registration and will issue you a new WA title"

I would suspect that all US states have some mechanism in place to allow folks moving from VT.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #907
Bus Geek

Quote:
You sent your title in with the registration and they gave you a Vt. title?
I sent in a copy of my PA title (which is in my name) with no VIN verification or BOS and got back a Vermont registration (and license plates).
Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #908
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
"yes we can transfer ownership with a VT transferrable registration and will issue you a new WA title"

I would suspect that all US states have some mechanism in place to allow folks moving from VT
Exactly.

You do not need an old title to get a new one.

Just sufficient evidence to show ownership. Maybe if they had some reason to think it's stolen the hoop to jumps yhrough would be set a little higher
Old 05-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #909
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 03
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
I went to the NYS dept Motor Vehicles to register my pickup, while in there I asked the lady " what do I have to do, DMV wise, to Re-purpose a Bookmobile to a a Motorhome (passenger vehicle) She handed me a form, put an x the spot to change classification get it weighed and come back in!
Has anyone else tried this? The Rgistration will be approx $199 for 2 years, not sure how that compares to VT, but Im close to my 1 year insurance to run out with progressive, not looking to jump that hoopshow.
Bigdaadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #910
Bus Geek

Quote:
Exactly.

You do not need an old title to get a new one.

Just sufficient evidence to show ownership. Maybe if they had some reason to think it's stolen the hoop to jumps yhrough would be set a little higher
That's just not true, if I didn't have the title when I brought it to Ga. , they would not have registered it for me at all. If it was older than a title is needed, If I turn in my Vt. registration I will not be issued a new title, only transfer the reg.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #911
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's just not true, if I didn't have the title when I brought it to Ga. , they would not have registered it for me at all. If it was older than a title is needed, If I turn in my Vt. registration I will not be issued a new title, only transfer the reg.
Wow Marc, that sucks for you.

Washington will issue a new title when you present a VT transferable registration.

After a bit of looking, it looks like OR, CA, AZ and KS are the same. Then I got bored and quit looking.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #912
Bus Geek

Yep, I'm going to assume by default that there is indeed a way, even in GA
Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #913
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yep, I'm going to assume by default that there is indeed a way, even in GA
I am going to assume the title I have in my hand now and will not be sent to Vt. will be valid to anyone I sell the bus to, or myself if I decide to change registrations. As long as I am the titled owner doesn't matter how many states I register it in that don't require a title.
Steve, doesn't suck to be me because I have my ducks in a row and literally have none of the issues others experience.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #914
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_bus_side View Post
This is all very reassuring information, but I still have one concern: The title I have is not in my name--it still has the bus company listed as the owner of the vehicle.
It now seems like a very obvious connection that I should have made from the beginning, but I'm now thinking that it's in my best interest to go to a local DMV and have the title transferred to my name without registering the vehicle, and then send the new title in with the Vermont registration application. Does that sound correct?
I purchased my bus private party back in November, the bus was still in the previous owners name and I just sent in my forms a few weeks ago without a late fee. Got my plates In the mail, still waiting on tags and title. I made sure I wrote a letter of intent clearly explaining the name on the title is the previous owner, the address written on the back for the buyer is not my address anymore and provided my new address, and that my bus is no longer a BU bus but has since been converted into a MH motorhome. I also made sure I included the BOS, and did not need seller’s signature on the form since the BOS was signed. Hope this helps!
Happycamperhealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #915
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Okay. Apparently I did not make this point clear in the instructions as it seems to be causing a lot of confusion.

A regular registration is different from a transferable registration in that the latter designates OWNERSHIP. Vermont issues a *TRANSFERABLE* registration. A transferable registration can be re-registered in any state. For anyone saying otherwise, I would challenge them to present a single state in which you'd run into a problem.

Quote:

01marc is technically correct in that he in all likelihood will not receive a title from Georgia. New York does the same thing. Georgia WILL give him a transferable registration though. So will New York. So will any state that will not issue a title. This was stated in the instructions, although I will modify the original post to make this clear.

In some states you will receive a title and in other states you will receive another transferable registration. As far as you guys (and gals) should all be concerned, there is literally no difference between a title and a transferable registration. For those of you with buses over 15 yrs old who received transferable registrations in lieu of a title (less than 15 yrs), take a second look and check the back. There should be a place for you to sign the registration over to someone else, in the event of sale, just like a title. One designates ownership and so does the other. All this hoopla about it is unwarranted and confusing, coming mostly from people who are uneducated on the topic. I apologize that I haven't been around to nip this in the bud but I just bought a house and have been preoccupied renovating. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to be more active in the next few weeks.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #916
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Okay. Apparently I did not make this point clear in the instructions as it seems to be causing a lot of confusion.

A regular registration is different from a transferable registration in that the latter designates OWNERSHIP. A transferable registration can be re-registered in any state. For anyone saying otherwise, I would challenge them to present a single state in which you'd run into a problem.

In some states you will receive a title and in other states you will receive another transferable registration. As far as you guys (and gals) should all be concerned, there is literally no difference between a title and a transferable registration. For those of you with buses over 15 yrs old who received transferable registrations in lieu of a title (less than 15 yrs), take a second and check the back. There should be a place for you to sign the registration over to someone else, just like a title. One designates ownership and so does the other. All this hoopla about it is unwarranted and confusing, coming mostly from people who are uneducated on the topic. I apologize that I haven't been around to nip this in the bud but I just bought a house and have been preoccupied renovating. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to be more active in the next few weeks.
State of Ga. requires a valid TITLE to register any vehicle newer than 1985, no title, no registration. I explained in detail what we are doing and they agreed the only way I would get that bus registered here after it was registered in Vt. with no title, would be to present my current Ga. title at that time. Here's a local number you can call and verify, they will actually answer the phone, unlike Vermont today. 706-344-3520
Old 05-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #917
Bus Geek

Quote:

A regular registration is different from a transferable registration in that the latter designates OWNERSHIP. Vermont issues a *TRANSFERABLE* registration. A transferable registration can be re-registered in any state. For anyone saying otherwise, I would challenge them to present a single state in which you'd run into a problem.

01marc is technically correct in that he in all likelihood will not receive a title from Georgia. New York does the same thing. Georgia WILL give him a transferable registration though. So will New York. So will any state that will not issue a title. This was stated in the instructions, although I will modify the original post to make this clear.

In some states you will receive a title and in other states you will receive another transferable registration. As far as you guys (and gals) should all be concerned, there is literally no difference between a title and a transferable registration. For those of you with buses over 15 yrs old who received transferable registrations in lieu of a title (less than 15 yrs), take a second look and check the back. There should be a place for you to sign the registration over to someone else, in the event of sale, just like a title. One designates ownership and so does the other. All this hoopla about it is unwarranted and confusing, coming mostly from people who are uneducated on the topic. I apologize that I haven't been around to nip this in the bud but I just bought a house and have been preoccupied renovating. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to be more active in the next few weeks.
So, I am now in possession of a PA title for my bus (in my name) and a transferrable registration from VT. I get what you are saying about my VT registration being usable for transferring ownership (says so on the back), but what about this arrangement now renders my PA title invalid? In other words, if I signed over my PA title to a new buyer, would that not transfer ownership in a valid fashion?

Does VT report to PennDOT that my bus is now registered in VT, and PennDOT declares my title to be invalid?
Old 05-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #918
Bus Geek

Quote:
So, I am now in possession of a PA title for my bus (in my name) and a transferrable registration from VT. I get what you are saying about my VT registration being usable for transferring ownership (says so on the back), but what about this arrangement now renders my PA title invalid? In other words, if I signed over my PA title to a new buyer, would that not transfer ownership in a valid fashion?

Does VT report to PennDOT that my bus is now registered in VT, and PennDOT declares my title to be invalid?
No, it will not render your title useless. When it comes time to sell your bus no one on earth could care less where it was registered. How would Vt. even know about Pa.when you are registering a new vehicle there?
Old 05-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #919
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Marc, this is pulled directly from the Georgia DMV website:

• Proof of Ownership -
    • Original, valid out-of-state title
    • Manufacturer’s statement of origin (required for a new vehicle that has never been issued a title); or
    • Registration from a non-title state or country (if your vehicle is a 1986 or newer and currently registered in a state or country that does not issue titles for this type and/or year model vehicle.)
If your current registration is from a non-title state, and that state does not issue titles for vehicles below a certain year, Georgia WILL accept a registration under "proof of ownership".

Vermont does not title any vehicle older than 15 yrs regardless of make, model, or type of vehicle. Vermont qualifies as a "non-title" state. A transferable registration is acceptable proof of ownership under Georgia DMV's own rules.

This is why I hate DMV. Nobody knows what they are talking about. Georgia will accept a transferable registration as proof of ownership. They have to. I'll call tomorrow and regurgitate the relevant info back to them before reporting back here, but I believe you were given false info from a slew of incompetent DMV reps.

Also, just an after-thought, but dealing with incompetent and over-zealous state employees is the reason I created this thread to begin with. It's infuriating that people have to deal with this BS.

Quote:

I am not a lawyer but I disagree with Marc on this point as well. Vermont issued you ownership papers. IMHO, you should not sign over your PA title to a new buyer after having received a new set of ownership papers from VT. Yes, I believe any state would do a check to see if the vehicle is currently registered elsewhere. If the vehicle is registered/papered in Vermont and the title you're trying to use is from PA, I think that would present a red flag. Then again, maybe not, because most DMV reps are overpaid and undercompetent. It might not give you problems initially but I feel like it would jam someone up somewhere down the line ... What if you transfered the ownership on your transferable registration to someone else, who received a transferable registration in their name? Is your old PA title worth anything now?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #920
Bus Geek

Quote:
Vermont issued you ownership papers. IMHO, you should not sign over your PA title to a new buyer after having received a new set of ownership papers from VT. Yes, I believe any state would do a check to see if the vehicle is currently registered elsewhere. If the vehicle is registered/papered in Vermont and the title you're trying to use is from PA, I think that would present a red flag. Then again, maybe not, because most DMV reps are overpaid and undercompetent. It might not give you problems initially but I feel like it would jam someone up somewhere down the line ... What if you transfered the ownership on your transferable registration to someone else, who received a transferable registration in their name? Is your old PA title worth anything now?
"any state would do a check to see if the vehicle is currently registered elsewhere" If they were checking just if it's registered elsewhere then it would have come up clean since I had only titled it in PA.

One thing I still don't understand about this: if VT issues a transferrable registration which is specifically intended to replace my title as the ownership document of reference, why wouldn't they request the title itself along with the application (instead of just a copy of it like what I sent them - although I suppose there's a chance they thought it was the actual title and not a copy)? When you apply for a registration and a title, you have to send in the original title (which they keep or destroy, I guess).

BTW, I now at least have a valid registration and insurance (yay! I can finally drive my own bus after four months), so the question about the title is fortunately academic now. Once the conversion is done I'll be switching the registration over to PA and I'm sure I'll find out at that point whether the VT registration or the PA title is the valid document.