Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #921
Bus Geek

In practice whatever documentation a given state (or clerk) will accept to satisfy "proof" of ownership is valid enough.

You may very well end up as the proud owner of more than one set of papers that would serve a given decision-maker.

Which they try to prevent, but as with many aspects of these matters, there are lots of variables.

Vermont seems less rigid than most, and of course that's a good thing.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #922
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
01marc,

I spent an hour on the phone with the Georgia DOR Motor Vehicle Department this morning. I called the Dawson number you provided first, explaining the posted requirements on the DOR MVD's own website under "Proof of Ownership". While the rep agreed that I should be able to receive a Georgia title (or another transferable registration, she didn't know) with the original Vermont transferable registration, she couldn't figure out how to do so in the computer system. Then she recommended I apply for a title-bond, which I firmly rejected.

So I escalated to the DOR Atlanta office. They explained that Georgia switched to a new computer system in the last few days and there are some hiccups in the local county offices as government employees still don't really know how to use the system. The representative I spoke to, Marsha, also pulled out the instruction manual and verified, again, A TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION SERVES AS A VALID PROOF OF OWNERSHIP in Georgia. The MDV instruction manual clearly indicates how county employees should enter this into the system. "Transferable registrations are nothing new ... there's no reason they shouldn't be able to complete this." Unfortunately, in Georgia, you are required to go to your local county tag office, so Atlanta can't handle it for you. She did recommend, however, that you go in person to the Dawson office to get it done. When you inevitably encounter a problem, tell them to call the Atlanta office (she said you can even ask for Marsha) so they can refer your local office to the instruction manual and get you your tags.

This is exactly why I created this thread! While grossly understaffed, Vermont DMV is generally competent and courteous.

I hope this puts the issue to rest. Again, there is not a single state that will not accept a transferable registration in lieu of a title. For all intents and purposes they are exactly the same thing.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #923
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Thanks for the details. I'm still hanging on to my Ga. title.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #924
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I hope this puts the issue to rest. Again, there is not a single state that will not accept a transferable registration in lieu of a title. For all intents and purposes they are exactly the same thing.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to clarify this.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #925
Bus Geek

+1 too bad it was necessary
Old 05-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #926
Bus Geek

Unfortunately it will only make us more knowledgable, yet the DMV clerks will continue to be incompetent and create unnecessary problems.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #927
Bus Nut

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt but time and time again I hear about the lazy, ignorant bullshit (like you dealt with yesterday) and it's made me very cynical. Are you registered in VT and holding on to your GA title "just in case"? Probably a smart move considering your local bureaucracy.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #928
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Quote:
i try to give them the benefit of the doubt but time and time again i hear about the lazy, ignorant bullshit (like you dealt with yesterday) and it's made me very cynical. Are you registered in vt and holding on to your ga title "just in case"? Probably a smart move considering your local bureaucracy.
one would think that if it is finally registered with a transferable registration through vt that would make any ownership papers from the past null and void and any attempt to use the would be considered title fraud. I wouldnt think marc can register in vt then use his ga title to do anything without big problems
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #929
Bus Geek

maybe true in theory

in practice I doubt any problem

unlikely to be detected

and of course assuming no actual intent to defraud etc
Old 05-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #930
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
maybe true in theory

in practice i doubt any problem

unlikely to be detected

maybe not because the names of the owners match but i know at least in new hampshire if your vehicle is new enough to get a title is has a previous title number and state listed on it as well as the registration if it is title exempt. These are things the dmv in any state can look up. And he was the one telling everyone on here about how its not the right way to do it and now hes jumping right on board seems fishy. I mean the general thought that a older title can be used legally should scare the crap out of people if that was the case and your saying it wouldnt be caught the old title to my vehicles can still be registered and owned by someone else. I think you would have to go over state level but that the definition of title fraud
Old 05-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #931
Bus Geek

I did assume you meant both between different states, and without any bad intent.

The VIN is the key that would trip you up.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #932
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
maybe true in theory

in practice I doubt any problem

unlikely to be detected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE N STEPH View Post
maybe not because the names of the owners match but i know at least in new hampshire if your vehicle is new enough to get a title is has a previous title number and state listed on it as well as the registration if it is title exempt. These are things the dmv in any state can look up. And he was the one telling everyone on here about how its not the right way to do it and now hes jumping right on board seems fishy. I mean the general thought that a older title can be used legally should scare the crap out of people if that was the case and your saying it wouldnt be caught the old title to my vehicles can still be registered and owned by someone else. I think you would have to go over state level but that the definition of title fraud

Yes, I've made my position clear on it. I wouldn't do it. I haven't called Vermont yet to confirm though and I'm not looking forward to it with the wait times.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #933
Bus Geek

You've shown it's not needed. If someone wants to try let them report back, but I'd advise against it unless a practical reason to do so emerges.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #934
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in states where vehicles are "title exempt" how do you establish ownership.. I mean what stops me from stealing a car in ohio thats older than 15 years .. getting on microsft word typing up a quick "I bought it for $500 invoice fro ma template".. and then getting it registered to me in vermont? surely there must be some type of checks and balance?

in ohio we have titles for everything that goes on the road..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #935
Bus Geek

VIN verification
Old 05-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #936
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE N STEPH View Post
one would think that if it is finally registered with a transferable registration through vt that would make any ownership papers from the past null and void and any attempt to use the would be considered title fraud. I wouldnt think marc can register in vt then use his ga title to do anything without big problems
I think you are correct.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #937
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
in states where vehicles are "title exempt" how do you establish ownership.. I mean what stops me from stealing a car in ohio thats older than 15 years .. Getting on microsft word typing up a quick "i bought it for $500 invoice fro ma template".. And then getting it registered to me in vermont? Surely there must be some type of checks and balance?

In ohio we have titles for everything that goes on the road..
john got it right just because you dont have a title doesnt mean you dont own it. The vin verification is there to make sure the number is valid and to see if has been altered. This is then given to the dmv where they do a check of the vin number to make sure its not flagged. There are even some web sites consumers can use to do so before purchasing a used vehicle
Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #938

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Rated Cap: 71
Hi everybody. I just recently purchased a 1998 International 3800 with a Thomas body from a school over in Ohio. I reside in Indiana. I will admit that I haven't read completely through this thread in its entirety simply because of the length, but I have skimmed over a good portion of it. I tried in the past to register a bus with Indiana (It was a 2002 International that I purchased at an auction) and it was an absolute disaster with the BMV. I finally just gave up and ended up selling it to a private school.

I'm going to attempt to do this Vermont transferable registration process on my 98. Before I mail this off, I want to run over the documents that I have and see if there's something that I'm missing OR if there's something in there that I DON'T need to send.

1) I have the Vermont application form with "TK" listed as the model, and "MH" as the body type. The "truck" section was left blank. The rest of the information was filled out as directed on the first page of the thread.

2) I had a local city cop come out and fill out a Vermont "Verification of VIN" form. He was apprehensive to do so, but reluctantly did. I don't know if that was needed or not, but I have it regardless.

3) I included a copy of the original Bill of Sale with notarized signatures of mine (buyer) and of the agent for the school (seller) with dates and purchase prices noted.

4) I included a copy of the Ohio Title that the seller signed off on and it was notarized as well.

5) I have a hand written letter, signed and dated by me, indicating the conversion from BS to MH.

6) Check to Vermont BMV for the $214 ($76 registration + $138 in tax ... which is 6% of $2300)

---------

Is there anything that I'm missing or that should be added/removed from this packet before I seal it and send it off? Any suggestions?
deeplist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #939
Bus Geek

Quote:
I try to give them the benefit of the doubt but time and time again I hear about the lazy, ignorant bullshit (like you dealt with yesterday) and it's made me very cynical. Are you registered in VT and holding on to your GA title "just in case"? Probably a smart move considering your local bureaucracy.
With all the details out there, none of it says my Ga. title becomes invalid if I register in a different state. When I sell a vehicle, again, all I need is a title.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #940
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
with all the details out there, none of it says my ga. Title becomes invalid if i register in a different state. When i sell a vehicle, again, all i need is a title.
i think a call to the state level would make your comment about your title still being valid null and void once you receive your valid transferable registration from vt it is now a vt registered vehicle and would come up through a vin check that way thus making your ga title invalid