Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #941
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE N STEPH View Post
i think a call to the state level would make your comment about your title still being valid null and void once you receive your valid transferable registration from vt it is now a vt registered vehicle and would come up through a vin check that way thus making your ga title invalid
When I called Vt. to gather info I was able to get right through to someone. Now that I'm ready to see how much money to send I can't get through, phone line is busy until 4:30, they quit taking calls at 4:20.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #942
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
when i called vt. To gather info i was able to get right through to someone. Now that i'm ready to see how much money to send i can't get through, phone line is busy until 4:30, they quit taking calls at 4:20.
yeah the biggest complaint with the vt dmv is trying to get through on the phone
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #943
Bus Geek

Quote:
yeah the biggest complaint with the vt dmv is trying to get through on the phone
Did you type out my quote, it is completely different than the original?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #944
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Quote:
did you type out my quote, it is completely different than the original?
no i just used the quote button at the bottom
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #945
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Did you type out my quote, it is completely different than the original?
Now that IS funny!!!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #946
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplist View Post
Hi everybody. I just recently purchased a 1998 International 3800 with a Thomas body from a school over in Ohio. I reside in Indiana. I will admit that I haven't read completely through this thread in its entirety simply because of the length, but I have skimmed over a good portion of it. I tried in the past to register a bus with Indiana (It was a 2002 International that I purchased at an auction) and it was an absolute disaster with the BMV. I finally just gave up and ended up selling it to a private school.

I'm going to attempt to do this Vermont transferable registration process on my 98. Before I mail this off, I want to run over the documents that I have and see if there's something that I'm missing OR if there's something in there that I DON'T need to send.

1) I have the Vermont application form with "TK" listed as the model, and "MH" as the body type. The "truck" section was left blank. The rest of the information was filled out as directed on the first page of the thread.

2) I had a local city cop come out and fill out a Vermont "Verification of VIN" form. He was apprehensive to do so, but reluctantly did. I don't know if that was needed or not, but I have it regardless.

3) I included a copy of the original Bill of Sale with notarized signatures of mine (buyer) and of the agent for the school (seller) with dates and purchase prices noted.

4) I included a copy of the Ohio Title that the seller signed off on and it was notarized as well.

5) I have a hand written letter, signed and dated by me, indicating the conversion from BS to MH.

6) Check to Vermont BMV for the $214 ($76 registration + $138 in tax ... which is 6% of $2300)

---------

Is there anything that I'm missing or that should be added/removed from this packet before I seal it and send it off? Any suggestions?
For "Make" in section 5 you're going to want to put "AMTC" (I'm assuming your bus info in your profile is correct). For "Registration/Plate Type" in section 4 you want "Motor Home | 19". Make sure to fill out section 3B with seller's name and address and the sale date (you don't need VT Dealer number or the seller's signature).

I don't think you want to include the hand-written letter about the conversion, that's just inviting complications. I did not include any such letter (I have my VT tags now) - I think the person that ended up having to send this letter had filled out some info in the truck section, so as long as you omit that you should not need the letter.

I think you have everything else correct.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #947
Bus Geek

Quote:
i think a call to the state level would make your comment about your title still being valid null and void once you receive your valid transferable registration from vt it is now a vt registered vehicle and would come up through a vin check that way thus making your ga title invalid
Once I'm done with my conversion I'm planning to register it in PA (to match the PA title), so I'll find out whether they just issue a PA registration and ignore the VT one or whether they issue me a new title and reg from the transferrable VT registration. Or whether they just clap me in irons for flouting their authora-tie in this manner.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #948
Bus Geek

Quote:
no i just used the quote button at the bottom
Normally it quotes exactly, look at the omission of all caps in the quote

I think I just realized YOU have a cap lock on your computer, there's no upper case in any of your posts.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #949
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
For "Make" in section 5 you're going to want to put "AMTC" (I'm assuming your bus info in your profile is correct). For "Registration/Plate Type" in section 4 you want "Motor Home | 19". Make sure to fill out section 3B with seller's name and address and the sale date (you don't need VT Dealer number or the seller's signature).

I don't think you want to include the hand-written letter about the conversion, that's just inviting complications. I did not include any such letter (I have my VT tags now) - I think the person that ended up having to send this letter had filled out some info in the truck section, so as long as you omit that you should not need the letter.

What do you do in the sellers section when you are the owner and not registering a new purchase?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #950

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:

Okay great! Under the "make" I had "International" so I'll adjust that and re-print the form with "AMTC" in there instead. And sections 3B and 4 I already had filled out correctly... so we're good there. Aaaaand, I'll pull out the letter of explanation and toss it.

I'll mail this out tomorrow and cross my fingers! Thank you!!!
deeplist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #951
Bus Geek

Quote:

Isn't Year/make/model- 1998 International 3800. Mine would be a 99 International Genesis.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #952

Registering rv w out Conversion

Okay thank you I will follow these notations.
JasmineR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #953
Bus Geek

Quote:
Isn't Year/make/model- 1998 International 3800. Mine would be a 99 International Genesis.
It's honestly one of the most confusing things I've ever encountered. I knew my bus as an "International" but the title I originally received said "AM/TR" for the make, which is/was NY's abbreviation for American Transportation Corporation, which had already officially changed its name to International before my bus was built in 2003 but the title still said AM/TR for whatever reason (probably NY had not yet created an official designation for "International").

My PA title went with "AMERICAN TRAN" for the make. When I called the Vermont DMV and explained (attempted) what my make was, she told me to go with "AMTC" which is the VT designation for Internationals. So my actual VT registration says "AMTC" for the make. My insurance says "American Tra", continuing the chain of confusion.

So I'm pretty sure a '98 International would also be officially an American Transportation Corporation make, at least as far as VT is concerned. It probably actually doesn't really matter as I doubt the Vermont DMV actually checks up on it in any way.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #954

Quote:
So I'm pretty sure a '98 International would also be officially an American Transportation Corporation make, at least as far as VT is concerned. It probably actually doesn't really matter as I doubt the Vermont DMV actually checks up on it in any way.
I went ahead and put what you said on the application and reprinted it. Unfortunately, the VIN Inspection Form had "International 3800" as the make and model. I already went through the hassle of having the cop come out and fill out his area of the paper, and I wasn't about to reprint that one, and have him come out again, plus pay another fee. The way he acted filing it out the first time around lead me to believe that he probably wouldn't do it again.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #955
Bus Geek

I'm pretty sure even an average bureaucrat will be able to make the connection.

But including an explanatory Post-It note wouldn't hurt.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #956
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Protect and serve... [emoji51]
Quote:
I went ahead and put what you said on the application and reprinted it. Unfortunately, the VIN Inspection Form had "International 3800" as the make and model. I already went through the hassle of having the cop come out and fill out his area of the paper, and I wasn't about to reprint that one, and have him come out again, plus pay another fee. The way he acted filing it out the first time around lead me to believe that he probably wouldn't do it again.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #957
Bus Geek

Quote:
You have to pay for a VIN verification? It's part of the cops job, he can't decide not to do it. I had mine done last week, on Fri, holiday weekend. Call late afternoon to set up a time later in the week, he showed up 30 minutes later.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #958
Bus Geek

Quote:
Hmm, that's unfortunate. The lady at the Vermont DMV said that the make on the form has to be one of the codes from their list, and she went with AMTC because that matched my title (which says "AMERICAN TRAN"). What is the make on your title?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 PM   #959
Bus Geek

Quote:
You have to pay for a VIN verification? It's part of the cops job, he can't decide not to do it. I had mine done last week, on Fri, holiday weekend. Call late afternoon to set up a time later in the week, he showed up 30 minutes later.
Maybe cops where you are have a different idea of their duties. The Philly police department I called about a VIN verification basically said "**** no, we don't do anything like that".
Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #960

Quote:
Hmm, that's unfortunate. The lady at the Vermont DMV said that the make on the form has to be one of the codes from their list, and she went with AMTC because that matched my title (which says "AMERICAN TRAN"). What is the make on your title?
The Ohio title said "INTL" as the make. Hopefully, it's okay. And if not, it's too late to change it now, because the mail has already ran for today and the packet is on the way to Vermont.

Quote:
The city cops here charge a $5 fee to do a VIN check and run the numbers through the NCIC database. The county sheriff doesn't charge anything, but they won't come out and do the check if you live within the city limits.