Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
We should get this lady's snailmail address and take up a collection for a nice Christmas present 8-D
That's a good plan! Wendy was a keeper, lol
heliloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #522
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
Just got our bus! A few questions about this option...

Hi all! My wife and I just got our new bus, and we've started gutting it. I'm trying to figure out our options for registering it. We live in Florida, and from my understanding, it should be fairly simple to register it as a motor home once the conversion is finished. But I'm not clear on if it's going to be a hassle to try to register it as a bus before we convert it. I don't know if that comes with a bunch of fees.

1. Does anyone happen to know if I'd have a problem just registering it at the Florida DMV as a bus with the plan to change the registration to a motorhome once the conversion is complete?

2. If that doesn't work, and I go the Vermont route, how do I send a copy of my title to Vermont? Right now all I have is a title that's signed over to me. I wouldn't be able to get a duplicate unless I register the bus in my name first, which defeats the purpose of going the Vermont route. Or is Vermont okay with just a photocopy of the title? I would guess not, but maybe I'm wrong...

3. If I go the Vermont route, the form asks for my Vermont license number. Can I just put my Florida number there?

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #523
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5TD
So happy I just found this thread. I am about to fill out the paperwork and send it in, but I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I had a few questions. Thanks in advance!

1) I already paid sales tax when I titled the vehicle in NJ. Do I skip section 6 completely or do I fill out my purchase price and put 0 for net taxable? I will have to find the receipt from that transaction and include it.

2) My bus is over 15 years old, so I will receive a transferable registration instead of a new title. I am unfamiliar with these. Does that basically become the title or do I hold onto my old title? Also, how can the transferable registration allow you to retitle as an RV in another state?
MadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #524
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach 40'
Engine: Detroit 6-71T
Rated Cap: A lot
I just wanted to chime in and say this worked perfectly for our bus. Just send in the paperwork and it takes a few weeks to get your plates. Then the registration comes about a week after that. Since our bus is an 89 we have the transferable reg. but I was told that if you then register in another state they will issue a new title.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #525

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: IS3600
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
Got our plates and our registration in. We hit a snag with it though. Ours has "BU" listed for the body type instead of it being MH. I have tried twice to call about this. The first time I was told she had to get paperwork and would call back but I never received a call back. Today I got someone else on the phone and she insisted that it doesn't matter. There's nothing to change. So I'm not sure yet if we'll try to call and deal with this again but apparently ours isn't registered as a motorhome. Looks like we'll have to still deal with more paperwork and hassle when transferring it later. Just a heads up to anyone else planning to try this. The paperwork was very simple and the tags were in 2 weeks later. Other than it not being registered as a motorhome the registration process was simple.
gypsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #526
Bus Nut

And what is the MH benefit, cheaper insurance?

Or when you go to register in another state, or?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #527
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

And if so, what is the difference to the insurance company between an RV and a MH?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #528
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Hi all! My wife and I just got our new bus, and we've started gutting it. I'm trying to figure out our options for registering it. We live in Florida, and from my understanding, it should be fairly simple to register it as a motor home once the conversion is finished. But I'm not clear on if it's going to be a hassle to try to register it as a bus before we convert it. I don't know if that comes with a bunch of fees.

1. Does anyone happen to know if I'd have a problem just registering it at the Florida DMV as a bus with the plan to change the registration to a motorhome once the conversion is complete?

2. If that doesn't work, and I go the Vermont route, how do I send a copy of my title to Vermont? Right now all I have is a title that's signed over to me. I wouldn't be able to get a duplicate unless I register the bus in my name first, which defeats the purpose of going the Vermont route. Or is Vermont okay with just a photocopy of the title? I would guess not, but maybe I'm wrong...

3. If I go the Vermont route, the form asks for my Vermont license number. Can I just put my Florida number there?

Easy Peasy in FL. Just tell them you want to tag it for private use.
NO need to go the vermont route if you're in FL!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #529
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

No commercial drivers license. Cheaper insurance.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #530
Bus Geek

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
No commercial drivers license. Cheaper insurance.
Everywhere I look the terms Motorhome and RV are synonymous. What, in Tx., makes a them different enough to require a CDL for one but not the other? What criteria does the insurance company base the higher rate on?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote