Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #1041
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
No offense meant by stating the glaringly obvious!
If there is ever someone looking, who ain't knowing, explain it to them.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #1042
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
No offense meant by stating the glaringly obvious!
If there is ever someone looking, who ain't knowing, explain it to them.
none taken, precautions are my preference.
Aegis2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #1043
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
Again, I don't know if this applies to me.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi...ructions_0.pdf

-VT Tax and Title Application page 3 'jitney and motor bus fee calculation.' $1283.00USD Reg fee.

-Same page, diesel tax. Vehicles 26klbs+ (don't know the tax).

-Same page, federal heavy vehicle use tax (don't know the tax).

The 2k reg ree I was getting from the truck page since my bus is 33klbs over. Again I don't know this applies to me because I'm getting motor home insurance, not truck and not bus.

This short story-

https://nwbus.com/inventory/school-b...ol-bus-b87880/

Trying to drive this bus from seattle to CO so I can turn it into a skoolie.

Problem-cannot drive a 'bus' w/o a CDL. I'm not getting a CDL. So don't post about it.

Solution-buy bus, get paperwork, (I already have RV insurance on it)get bus title switch to motorhome/RV title (VT, b/c no requirements (like removing seats, installing permanent power supply/kitchen/bathroom/ etc.)), get VT motor home license plates and tags for school bus, fly to seattle, drive bus back to CO LEGALLY with proper tags and insurance.

This is my hypothetical theory. Also some clairvoyance on the VT DMV page would be helpful. Good karma to anyone who helps me with this problem I've been dealing with for the past month.
Short answers.

Jitney/motor bus is commercial vehicle.

Diesel tax is also commercial vehicle.

FHUT is a federal tax on commercial vehicles.

2K registration would also be commercial.

See if dealer will put it on the street and get you a temp permit for you to go home. The CDL requirement can only be to cover their butt while on their property.

All else, find a CDL driver with passenger endorsement to go get your unit and get it to CO.

I should start to offer my services to people in situations like yours. Class A CDL with all the proper endorsements.

BTW, nice bus. you will like it!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #1044
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
Again, I don't know if this applies to me.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi...ructions_0.pdf

-VT Tax and Title Application page 3 'jitney and motor bus fee calculation.' $1283.00USD Reg fee.

-Same page, diesel tax. Vehicles 26klbs+ (don't know the tax).

-Same page, federal heavy vehicle use tax (don't know the tax).

The 2k reg ree I was getting from the truck page since my bus is 33klbs over. Again I don't know this applies to me because I'm getting motor home insurance, not truck and not bus.

This short story-

https://nwbus.com/inventory/school-b...ol-bus-b87880/

Trying to drive this bus from seattle to CO so I can turn it into a skoolie.

Problem-cannot drive a 'bus' w/o a CDL. I'm not getting a CDL. So don't post about it.

Solution-buy bus, get paperwork, (I already have RV insurance on it)get bus title switch to motorhome/RV title (VT, b/c no requirements (like removing seats, installing permanent power supply/kitchen/bathroom/ etc.)), get VT motor home license plates and tags for school bus, fly to seattle, drive bus back to CO LEGALLY with proper tags and insurance.

This is my hypothetical theory. Also some clairvoyance on the VT DMV page would be helpful. Good karma to anyone who helps me with this problem I've been dealing with for the past month.
Your plan will work. You can get a VT registration and title (VT only issues titles for vehicles 15 years old or younger, which yours is) entirely through the mail. Because you already have insurance, you will then be able to drive it legally (without a CDL) since it will then be legally a motor home (and not a bus).

You will only have to pay $76 (for one year) plus 6% of the sale price (or 6% of the blue book value if they have it, which they probably don't for your bus so it will be 6% of the $6999 price tag).

The stuff about jitney and motor bus fees does not apply to you, because you are not registering your vehicle as a jitney or a motor bus. As far as VT is concerned, your vehicle is starting out as a truck ("TK") and getting registered as a Motor Home, no mention of the word "bus" anywhere.

Source: I registered my bus as a motor home in Vermont, so I've been through the ringer (my situation was actually a lot more complicated than normal because my bus is older than 15 years and the title I got from the seller was actually the title he got from the previous owner, since he had never retitled it in his own name).
Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #1045
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Your plan will work. You can get a VT registration and title (VT only issues titles for vehicles 15 years old or younger, which yours is) entirely through the mail.
The bus is a 99, 20 years old. No title will be issued.
When you registered why did you deal with the title at all? They don't ask for it, won't issue you another. I only had to fill out a single form.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #1046
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The bus is a 99, 20 years old. No title will be issued.
His plan will still work, is the main thing.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #1047
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
My apologies if this has been answered already. I searched but can't find a similar questions.

What is the advantage of doing it this way vs in your own state?
I'm in Arizona.

I'm supposed to go get it inspected before getting my official title.

It's $15 for the inspection.
$14 for the title.

I can get a three day permit to drive for $1 online, as long as I have insurance. This allows me to go get it inspected and get the title.

Called AISInsurance and got quoted $773 per year, $155 down and $74 per month for a non-converted bus. Once I convert it, they'll drop me and I have to get RV Insurance.

So...
does doing it via Vermont reclassify the bus as a motor home, thus allowing greater insurance options, or will it still appear as a bus/commercial vehicle with the vin, and conjure the same issues as before?
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #1048
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
So does registering a bus via Vermont give you a motor home designation that will make the vehicle classified as a motor home come insurance time, or will it still appear as a bus and have the same difficulties in getting it insured?

I'm asking because I'm in a holding pattern right now-deciding which way to go with registration, insurance, etc.

Thanks!
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #1049
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
So does registering a bus via Vermont give you a motor home designation that will make the vehicle classified as a motor home come insurance time, or will it still appear as a bus and have the same difficulties in getting it insured?

I'm asking because I'm in a holding pattern right now-deciding which way to go with registration, insurance, etc.

Thanks!
Yes it'll show up as a motorhome in registration. From there you can transfer to your state or keep it as is. I'm moving cross-country with the intent of using my skoolie to take an "extended trip" along the way across parks before settling. I explained that to the insurance agent and they were OK with tags being from VT while my address was in VA. I basically told them I wasn't interested in paying taxes AGAIN.

P.S. Google Kelly Newsome with Allstate. She works with skoolies a lot so she can best rope in a local agent with you and talk them into signing off.
Aegis2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #1050
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post

Thanks!
That's the theory, register in Vt. as a MH for cheaper insurance rates. Problem is it's easy to tell the Vt. DMV what you have is an RV/MH. when in fact you still own a bus. The insurance won't take your word for, they want an inspection or pictures of a completed conversion before having any financial stake in it. A Commercial for Private Use policy is usually what is purchased for the build out, then RV insurance once it's completed. I guess some have problems registering a bus in their state and have to jump through hoops to get it done.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #1051
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
Angry News For Modifying a Title in Georgia With the New Tag Program

I've already managed to get one title modified in Georgia. I found out, for tag offices that are fussy, a Georgia form T-22B is the ticket. For my first title change I got the sheriff to sign a T-22B saying it is now a motor home and the tag office worked their magic, that title says it's a motor home.
Now the bad news. The tag office has a new program. It won't let them make that change. It's not in the selection box. They called DOR/MVD, who said once it's a truck it's always a truck.
I've emailed my State of Georgia representatives and senator. As always with a tag office and government I don't expect to be helped.
If the new program doesn't match the law ... well then, the law isn't followed!
Gee, I wonder why I find government services and a tag office in particular to be dysfunctional.
I am considering the Vermont registration, knowing it's very illegal in Georgia.
GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #1052
Bus Geek

GA does not have the authority to make any part of this process "illegal".

They may refuse to convert the VT rego to a GA one, but I doubt it if you try a couple different places.

In the meantime it will be legally registered in Vt
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #1053
Bus Geek

Dang, got my Vt. application and check returned to me today. Left a few spots on the form empty and they want the BOS.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #1054
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
GA does not have the authority to make any part of this process "illegal".

They may refuse to convert the VT rego to a GA one, but I doubt it if you try a couple different places.

In the meantime it will be legally registered in Vt
Well John, you're technically correct. Getting a plate from Vermont is not illegal. A Georgia resident with an out of State plate after the specified time (30 days for a title application) in Georgia law is illegal and can result in a fine. The police who stop this Georgia resident will likely notice a Georgia drivers license and Vermont plates.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #1055
Bus Geek

Yes, but most states are pretty slack about enforcing that aspect.

Especially if it's just being used to get you from storing / working on it at home, to minimum travel required for work to getting the buildout done so you do comply with your final state's motorhome rego requirements.

Which once you start touring, does **not** need to be the state of your legal domicile and DL.

Just another tool for the kit, to allow us to do what really should not be made so difficult by the various bureaucracies.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #1056
Bus Geek

The police here had no issue filling out a VIN Verification so I could register it in Vt. I spoke with DMV and they had no issue with it as long as it's insured.
My form is back in the mailbox with the corrections made.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #1057
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, but most states are pretty slack about enforcing that aspect.

Especially if it's just being used to get you from storing / working on it at home, to minimum travel required for work to getting the buildout done so you do comply with your final state's motorhome rego requirements.

Which once you start touring, does **not** need to be the state of your legal domicile and DL.

Just another tool for the kit, to allow us to do what really should not be made so difficult by the various bureaucracies.
You make several great points. I could race for the Georgia State line and relax a little. I do very much agree States should not make this so difficult and painful.
I am at the point where I want to title, insure, and register my newly converted motor home, sheriff certified as a motor home on a Georgia T22-B form.
Currently, due to a new computer program Georgia very recently put in place, the tag office can not make that change in the system to my title, the software simply won't allow it. So far the Motor Vehicle Division said they are not willing to change that.
My original intended trip, leaving a few days from today, has been postponed for other reasons.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #1058
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The police here had no issue filling out a VIN Verification so I could register it in Vt. I spoke with DMV and they had no issue with it as long as it's insured.
My form is back in the mailbox with the corrections made.
Marc, before the new software you could simply have gotten a Georgia title and tag using that VIN certification form you have, a T22-B form, with, "motor home" in the body style block. I did succeed doing that earlier this year.
If I get Georgia to change their evil ways (I think all DMV is from the, "dark side") I will post the good news.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #1059
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTheRock View Post
Marc, before the new software you could simply have gotten a Georgia title and tag using that VIN certification form you have, a T22-B form, with, "motor home" in the body style block. I did succeed doing that earlier this year.
If I get Georgia to change their evil ways (I think all DMV is from the, "dark side") I will post the good news.
I like living here in No. Ga. where everything is laid back. I have no issues with anything at DMV. The only reason I went to Vt. was because Ga. didn't have my vanity tag available.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #1060
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Once and for all, a CDL is required ONLY if you are driving for hire and 16+ passengers.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote