Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Easy Peasy in FL. Just tell them you want to tag it for private use.
NO need to go the vermont route if you're in FL!
Could you elaborate please? Could I go into the DMV and tell them that with out insurance? Thank you...
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #532
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
Could you elaborate please? Could I go into the DMV and tell them that with out insurance? Thank you...
Get insurance first. That's a requirement.

You buy a bus, get insurance, print out the id card, go to your local tax collector/dmv office and tell them you bought a school bus and want to register it for private use.
They need the title and insurance and your money and you get a tag that day. The title can be printed on the spot for a fee or you can wait and they'll mail it free.

All it takes is money to make this happen.

I've driven a TON with no tag, but insurance is a must if you're going to drive on public roads.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #533

Any updates on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicAlien View Post
I got my plates!! Registered successfully as a motor home !! But ! The envelope says i have to get it inspected by Vermont within 15 days...we happen to be going to Vermont at the end ofaugust for a gathering....but not within 15 days... and Iím nervous to have PA inspect it since it has Vermont plates...and pa needs so many requirements for inspection .
Anyone else run into this issue???
We just send in our forms and are wondering what happened with your inspection? Did you go to it? If not, what happened?! Do they cancel the registration?
Olivialucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicAlien View Post
I got my plates!! Registered successfully as a motor home !! But ! The envelope says i have to get it inspected by Vermont within 15 days...we happen to be going to Vermont at the end ofaugust for a gathering....but not within 15 days... and Iím nervous to have PA inspect it since it has Vermont plates...and pa needs so many requirements for inspection .
Anyone else run into this issue???
Any updates on this? DId you go to the inspection? What happens if you donít, they cancel your registration?
Olivialucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #535
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivialucy View Post
Any updates on this? DId you go to the inspection? What happens if you donít, they cancel your registration?
If you read back in the thread a bit, this is discussed. You won't get pulled over out-of-state for inspection issues, so as long as you stay out of VT you are good. They don't cancel your reg.
MadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #536
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Get insurance first. That's a requirement.

You buy a bus, get insurance, print out the id card, go to your local tax collector/dmv office and tell them you bought a school bus and want to register it for private use.
They need the title and insurance and your money and you get a tag that day. The title can be printed on the spot for a fee or you can wait and they'll mail it free.

All it takes is money to make this happen.

I've driven a TON with no tag, but insurance is a must if you're going to drive on public roads.
Quest,
EastCoast is right about this one. Check out ChrisFL's post today. He got the whole thing done this morning while I was streaming. I was shocked at how quick and easy it was in Florida. In a couple hours he had insurance, title as MotorHome, registration and plates. Done. Florida seems AWESOME for Skoolie registration, too bad Im in Nevada.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/li...d-23579-2.html
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #537
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
Just got our plates! We're all registered in FL, and still working toward converting. Thanks EastCoast for the help!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #538
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Everywhere I look the terms Motorhome and RV are synonymous. What, in Tx., makes a them different enough to require a CDL for one but not the other? What criteria does the insurance company base the higher rate on?
I believe you're correct in your assumption that vehicles registered as "BUS" vs "MH" vs "RV" are all treated the same if you insure under an RV policy. We are in NY and our RV insurance was like $300/yr. Insurance company didnt care one bit that the registration said "BUS". I never got around to calling Vermont to change the registration to bus and it worked out just fine.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #539
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I believe you're correct in your assumption that vehicles registered as "BUS" vs "MH" vs "RV" are all treated the same if you insure under an RV policy. We are in NY and our RV insurance was like $300/yr. Insurance company didnt care one bit that the registration said "BUS". I never got around to calling Vermont to change the registration to bus and it worked out just fine.
My experience in WA, OR (early 1990's) and AZ has been that the insurance company has not cared what the vehicle type on the title is.

I didn't really pay much attention until I saw discussions here and asked my current insurance agent and was told that they don't care. Bear in mind that is one carrier in one state. Not intended as advice for another state.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #540
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
go to manchester you can register a roller skate there they didnt even require ins proof last i knew it was 2 years ago but still i doubt they have changed and if your registered there you dont need an inspection sticker either !!! check the laws dont go asking in the dmv though ask a couple locals around im back in maine now so i dont know for sure but i really doubt its changed any they dont like change it seems
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote