Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #1161
Almost There

Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
In Massachusetts, you can't register it as a bus... Unless you are going to be using it to transport paying customers... And if it isn't already converted, you can't register it as a motor home (auto home), because it used to be a bus they won't let you register it as a personal vehicle... So you have to have commercial insurance and register it commercial... At $30.00 per 1,000 lbs...
I am currently fighting to have it classified as. Personal vehicle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Hi!
I was so excited to fly out to get my gutted bus and then I started checking out insurance in MA posts! yikes!
The bus I’m looking at is merely gutted and so I would fly out and drive back to MA.
Can you offer me how I would do that? How you fared at the RMav?
Thank you!

Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #1162
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
OK, so the Vermont way is the way to go if you want it registered fairly quick. My question is, what are you doing about insurance? Having a tough time finding someone to get insured through. Just starting the gutting of the bus, but it will need to be moved from time to time.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #1163
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
OK, so the Vermont way is the way to go if you want it registered fairly quick. My question is, what are you doing about insurance? Having a tough time finding someone to get insured through. Just starting the gutting of the bus, but it will need to be moved from time to time.
You need a commercial for personal use policy while converting. Then State Farm is a good source for RV coverage. They just quoted me $303 for full coverage for a uear.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #1164
Bus Geek

Varies enormously by state. Best to find a good agent experienced with DIY conversions.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #1165

I'm legal now. Thanks.

Fantastic write up on how to do this. It took about six weeks total for me to get plates and registration from Vermont. My registration said passenger car or bus when I received it, but a quick call to the VT DMV and that was fixed. I have a new registration that says Motorhome. Super easy. Thank again.
AKpowerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #1166
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Vermont VIN Verification

I downloaded VD-119 to transfer the title and register the bus in Vermont. The bus is currently titled in CT (from the previous owner) and is LESS than 15 years old. I do have the title and purchased from a private school bus company (not a dealer). On the third page of the application, it mentions needing "VIN Verification":

All used vehicles with out of state titles being registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below, unless purchased directly from a licensed dealer.

For those that have done the Vermont registration, how have you handled this? I live in CT but was wanting to do the VT registration. Not sure how to explain that to local law enforcement if I'm asking them to do a VIN Verification? Not to mention, with being unregistered, I can't even drive the bus to the police department.

Thanks!
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #1167
Bus Geek

Call the local station, let them know what you need, ask what they suggest.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #1168
Bus Geek

VIN verifiation has nothing to do with where you are. It's just a process where they run the VIN through a data base to see if it's stolen or legit. Call your local PD after downloading the form, fill it out, the cop will check VIN and sign off on the form. Mail it in with the registration papers. Vt did not need the VV from me.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #1169

I sent my paperwork in (from Chicago) on Aug 31, and they just cashed my check today, so 25 day latency between sending it out on my end, and them processing it. I'll try to update you all on when I get the plates in the mail, if I remember.

I was getting a little nervous about my process, because it was looking like there may have been a problem processing my application, but it just was a little longer than I expected, and getting in touch using the phone number was impossible.
motohead623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #1170
Mini-Skoolie

Question about having VT plates on your bus and inspection. Vermont requires annual inspection for all cars. How do people do that if they live in WA or CA for example?
CrazyKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #1171
Bus Geek

Only if you are there.

Never go, no worries apparently
Old 09-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #1172
Skoolie

Title Copy or Original

Someone posted that you need to send in a copy of your title vs the original (newer than 15 years). After hours of getting a busy signal with VT DMV (I haven't heard a busy signal in years), I finally got through yesterday and they said to send in the original title. Has anyone registered a bus in VT newer than 15 years and had to send in the title?

They also mentioned having Connecticut do a VIN Verification just to be safe. Found out that CT Police are not allowed to do VIN Verifications: that I have to take the bus to the DMV. Well I can't take the bus to the DMV because it isn't registered, and I can't register it without a VIN Verification... Kind of stupid. And I can't even do a temporary registration because it would be temporarily registered as a school bus, which I legally can't drive. What a ridiculous process especially when I have the title in my hand.

So I'm planning on sending my registration application to Vermont today without the VIN Verification and take my chances. But curious to know if anyone got away with sending out just a copy of the title. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #1173
Bus Geek

Did you ask the DMV for suggestions?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #1174
Skoolie

Vehicle Inspection (Vermont)

I assume nobody on here is getting their vehicle inspected 15-days after registration. I couldn't find a clear explanation on the Vermont DMV's website in regards to what vehicles are included or excluded from being inspected. Does anyone have knowledge on the inspection requirements or exclusions? Is it just for cars?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #1175
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
All vehicles are supposed to be inspected after being registered. I had mine done just because of how close i am to vt and i do vacation there
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #1176
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE N STEPH View Post
All vehicles are supposed to be inspected after being registered. I had mine done just because of how close i am to vt and i do vacation there

I noticed you have a 2007: that means you're bus is less than 15-years old and would have had to mail in your title. Did you mail in the original or a copy? And did you have to do the VIN Verification? Mine is a2008, so I'm having to do things that most other people on this thread didn't have to worry about. The VIN Verification is a struggle because Connecticut doesn't use the NCIC database, so I have a totally different form. And the CT DMV won't sign the VT form because it specifically mentions NCIC.

As far as inspection: I'm in CT, so I'm only 4-hours away. So I could do the inspection. But I know I won't be ready to drive it to Vermont for a good 6-12 months since I am just getting started.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #1177
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
We actually have 2 buses the one registered and inspected in vt is a 2002 freightliner im not sure how to list multiple buses in my signature in nh where we are alll town police or licenced inspectors can do vin verifications
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #1178
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpowerstroke View Post
Fantastic write up on how to do this. It took about six weeks total for me to get plates and registration from Vermont. My registration said passenger car or bus when I received it, but a quick call to the VT DMV and that was fixed. I have a new registration that says Motorhome. Super easy. Thank again.
ok i better get on this if i plan to be out of here by nov 15!!!!
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #1179
Bus Geek

So many of us have taken the Vt. route for one reason or another. I've asked , but haven't gotten an answer from anyone registered in Vt. that renewed after a year, did you have any issues with out an inspection?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #1180
Bus Geek

Pretty sure someone above stated, no problem re-registering never having been in state / inspected.

But of course that may change, be luck of the draw.