Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 04:12 AM   #1201
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Usually best to legally "garage" your vehicle in the same state where you are legally domiciled, driver's licence, voting registration, jury duty, etc.

Thus that becomes your insurance jurisdiction.

This does not need to have anything to do with where you actually are most of the time, and your mail forwarding service can also be somewhere else.
Awesome. Thanks so much. Getting the tags was a breeze. Gonna go for insurance next paycheck.

Ol'DirtyHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:14 AM   #1202
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much. Me and my ex had a few vehicles registered in other places where lice sing wasnt. Don't know why I thought it would be any different. I guess because of one terrible experience we had with progressive.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #1203
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
I'm a lil confused as far as the insurance go, I plan to be a full timer sojourner, and I'm currently licensed in NJ, and applied for VT reg, where do I insure? What companies are ppl using that went this route?
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #1204
Almost There

How is the insurance handle? I plan on being a full time sojourner, currently licensed in NJ, is there a list of insurance companies with hassle free processing in this case?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #1205
Bus Geek

HowTo find insurance for your state

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ate-28907.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #1206
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmeskoolu View Post
I'm a lil confused as far as the insurance go, I plan to be a full timer sojourner, and I'm currently licensed in NJ, and applied for VT reg, where do I insure? What companies are ppl using that went this route?
Your insurance comapny will want to insure it in the state it is stored or garaged in. Some who have no permanent address and live full time in their bus have issues getting coverage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #1207
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Your insurance comapny will want to insure it in the state it is stored or garaged in. Some who have no permanent address and live full time in their bus have issues getting coverage.
Addressing those issues

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?p=352616
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #1208
Mini-Skoolie

Does this appear to be correct?

Quote:
I got my registration and sticker in the mail today. It says MH for body type. But under my tag number it says passenger car or school bus, is this correct? Or should that say motorhome?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #1209
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Vermont DMV Check Cleared!

I mailed my check out on September 27th and it cleared at some point yesterday. I guess that means everything got accepted OK. My bus is under 15-years old, so I had to do the whole VIN Verification which had me concerned since CT uses a different verification database than VT was asking for. So this is a huge relief!

Now I start on the insurance adventure!
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #1210

Recieved Plates ans Sticker, but not the title return

Hey,

I submitted all my documents to register my skoolie in Vermont. I included my title, and all documents with the $35 fee for the title return (<15 years old). I recieved my plates and stickers about 2 weeks ago but still havent gotten my title back. Im worried, what is usually the time it takes to get that back from Vermont?
Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #1211
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofrari View Post
I mailed my check out on September 27th and it cleared at some point yesterday. I guess that means everything got accepted OK. My bus is under 15-years old, so I had to do the whole VIN Verification which had me concerned since CT uses a different verification database than VT was asking for. So this is a huge relief!

Now I start on the insurance adventure!
�� I too submitted my paperwork on 1 Oct, I called earlier last WK and they told me that they were 2 wks behind on the mail and to call back, I called on 16th and the agent told that They returned my title fee as they were not issuing a title my bus is a 2001 and that as of that morning all was set and ready for mailing out.

On the Ins contact Wakaleeh at AIS 423 800 5512 I also have a 1996 Ford E350 and tried to insurance with Esurance as the title says Van and Esurance connected me to AIS cause the van's vin came up as motorhome and they don't insurance RV/MH or large vehicles. I was so happy that it turned that way as the premium when from $149 when first quoted (as intially she didn't notice, she said "oh this coming up as an RV") a month to a $39 down and $25 totally $242 annual , I'm in NJ and the vehicle garaged in NJ.

So if youthinking about giving up on your Skoolie dream cuz of getting insurance or designation of MH get yourself an Ford E350 like this 1
httpss://www.equipmentfacts.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/33116933/1996-ford-e350

this is not mine but this is the model I have it comes with the MH designation ! I suggest verifying the vin's designation b4 purchasing tho! I'm no expert. I now recall that when I purchased it, the title had MH body type but when I registered it I put van and NJDMV removed MH

On another note I had my skoolie previously insured with AIS however, they won't give me MH insurance but insured as Commerical for $138 monthly and said they would insure as RV once the conversion was done. And ya know the rest of the story with that. So I expect to be able to insure my skoolie as MH once the transferable registration arrives! This skoolie will be garage in FL so I expect it to be cheaper that my E350!
Old 10-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #1212
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I mailed all my forms and check on 3 October.
My check hasn't cleared yet...
Should I be concerned or is this the current time delay for most peeps?

If I do try calling, I assume it's the Montpelier location I want to try?
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #1213
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

I think they do all the RV apps at once, once a month.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #1214
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
$30 minimum tax required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

Good news, bad news:
I got all my paper work mailed back to me from Vt.

Apparently $30 minimum tax required REGARDLESS of what you did or didn't pay for your bus. Damn -- wish they said that on their website instructions...

See letter below.

BUT, the good news is I will get my MH plates as soon as I get the extra $12 dollars in the mail to them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1496.jpg  
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #1215
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken View Post
Hey,

I submitted all my documents to register my skoolie in Vermont. I included my title, and all documents with the $35 fee for the title return (<15 years old). I recieved my plates and stickers about 2 weeks ago but still havent gotten my title back. Im worried, what is usually the time it takes to get that back from Vermont?

Just curious if you got your title yet? I'm in the same situation: bus is less than 15 years old and I mailed in the $35 extra for the title. I got the plates about 2 weeks ago and got the registration about a week ago. But still no title.
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #1216
Mini-Skoolie

Vin verification

So I've been reading pages and pages on this thread. It seems that the vin verification really depends on the dmv employee you get. I've also read in this thread that if you bought the bus from a certified bus dealer you do not need it.
I got my bus from a bus auction and I have the title, it a 2009. Do I need to stress over this vin verification or am I okay without it or is it just a gamble?
Seddin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #1217
Mini-Skoolie

I already have a PA title in my name. Its titled as a bus, I'm attempting to retitled in vermont as a motor home, so that I can get tags and insurance and legally drive it.
So even tho it's a 2009 (less than 15years old) because the title is in my name I do not need the vin verification?
Old 10-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #1218
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddin93 View Post
So I've been reading pages and pages on this thread. It seems that the vin verification really depends on the dmv employee you get.
Varies by state.

In many it's the local police that sign off on VIN, not DMV.

Answers to this and all your other questions are in the thread above.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #1219
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Varies by state.

In many it's the local police that sign off on VIN, not DMV.

Answers to this and all your other questions are in the thread above.
Yea I'm not concerned with WHERE to get my vin verification done.
My question is:
If I own the title to a 2009 bus do I need to send in a vin verification to VERMONT when I retitled it as a motorhome?
If the answer to my question is above in the thread I apologize. I've read over 10 pages of this thread and I've gotten a little turned around with the varying info from different people. That's why I posted the question.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #1220
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddin93 View Post
I already have a PA title in my name. Its titled as a bus, I'm attempting to retitled in vermont as a motor home, so that I can get tags and insurance and legally drive it.
So even tho it's a 2009 (less than 15years old) because the title is in my name I do not need the vin verification?
You do not need the VIN verification. I also had a PA title in my name when I registered in VT and that was sufficient.