Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #1221
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddin93 View Post
Yea I'm not concerned with WHERE to get my vin verification done.
My question is:
If I own the title to a 2009 bus do I need to send in a vin verification to VERMONT when I retitled it as a motorhome?
If the answer to my question is above in the thread I apologize. I've read over 10 pages of this thread and I've gotten a little turned around with the varying info from different people. That's why I posted the question.

I just went through this with my 2008. I bought it from a company that operates the buses on behalf of the local school districts. I called the Vermont DMV and was told that I DID need the VIN Verification. For CT, they use a different database for verification than the Vermont form was requesting, therefore the person doing the verification refused to sign the Vermont form. So I just mailed in the CT form with an attached note explaining the situation, and they accepted that without any problem.

For me in CT, the local and state police are not allowed to do the verifications. But and local garages that do emission inspections can do the verification for $10 (Luckily I found one that was willing to drive to my house to do the verification since the bus wasn't registered (for $50 extra)).

Hope this helps.

cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #1222
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Yea I'm not concerned with WHERE to get my vin verification done.

My question is:

If I own the title to a 2009 bus do I need to send in a vin verification to VERMONT when I retitled it as a motorhome?

If the answer to my question is above in the thread I apologize. I've read over 10 pages of this thread and I've gotten a little turned around with the varying info from different people. That's why I posted the question.
It's in paragraph 6 in the very first post. Before he even gives the form number. If your bus is older than 15 years and you don't have proof of ownership, you need a VIN verification.

You have the title and your buses isn't 15 years old. You're fine.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #1223
Bus Nut

A guy owes me money and I have his untitled 96 Denali. Cops looked at VIN and said it has an open title. I am in Mo. I can get a VIN verification no problem. Do you see any problems? I have read and reread about 20 pages in all.
Thanks

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #1224
Mini-Skoolie

Retitled in Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You do not need the VIN verification. I also had a PA title in my name when I registered in VT and that was sufficient.
Thank you for the response. The morning I mailed everything in I think I called the Vermonth DMV 4 times. I had no problem getting through quickly and they were really helpful. You are right, I do not need the vin verification if the title is in my name.
So I sent them:
1. money order for 175 (140 for 2 year registration + 35 title fee)
2. VD119: with section 1, 3b(dmv said no need for signature of seller), 4 , and 9 filled out.
3. 2 forms of proof that I paid sales tax ( because I like to be overly cautious) and through section 6 I wrote sales tax paid (dmv suggested I do that)
4. The original title
5. And a piece of paper itemizing everything I sent and why, to retitle as a motorhome.

The write up wasn't necessary but I'd rather be safe then sorry. I read on here some people got back a title that said bus not motorhome.
I also paid extra to track it because it has my title in it.
I sent it on October 28th so I'm hoping to have my paper work before dec.
Seddin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #1225
Bus Geek

Please stop wasting member's time asking questions that have been answered literally dozens of times in this very thread.

In fact what possible other answers could there be?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #1226
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
I don’t know if this question has been asked before or not, but I’m not gonna go through 64 pages of posts to find out. So here goes:

If I appear at the DMV in Vermont in person with my title and my bill of sale on my 11-year-old bus, with an out-of-state address, will I be able to walk away with license plates and registration? In my home state of Wisconsin they would also generate a title on the spot.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #1227
Almost There

Year: 2001
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
I did my registration via mail with an out of state address/DL and got my plates/registered in 16 days + mailing days, yes you can get in person as long as you don't start the mailing process. I was planning on picking up and VT DMV told me that if I had walked in, I wouldofa got everything that day but since I started in the mailing process I had to continue that process
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #1228
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Thank you for the response. The morning I mailed everything in I think I called the Vermonth DMV 4 times. I had no problem getting through quickly and they were really helpful. You are right, I do not need the vin verification if the title is in my name.
So I sent them:
1. money order for 175 (140 for 2 year registration + 35 title fee)
2. VD119: with section 1, 3b(dmv said no need for signature of seller), 4 , and 9 filled out.
3. 2 forms of proof that I paid sales tax ( because I like to be overly cautious) and through section 6 I wrote sales tax paid (dmv suggested I do that)
4. The original title
5. And a piece of paper itemizing everything I sent and why, to retitle as a motorhome.

The write up wasn't necessary but I'd rather be safe then sorry. I read on here some people got back a title that said bus not motorhome.
I also paid extra to track it because it has my title in it.
I sent it on October 28th so I'm hoping to have my paper work before dec.
Please let us know how that goes for you.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #1229
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I already have a PA title in my name. Its titled as a bus, I'm attempting to retitled in vermont as a motor home, so that I can get tags and insurance and legally drive it.
So even tho it's a 2009 (less than 15years old) because the title is in my name I do not need the vin verification?
Keep in mind, once you have a MH registration, you will not be able to insure it as one if the conversion has not been completed.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #1230
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Keep in mind, once you have a MH registration, you will not be able to insure it as one if the conversion has not been completed.
That's not the case for me here in FL. What works or doesn't work for you may not be set in stone for everyone else.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #1231
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Or you can title and register it as an RV and get a "personal for commercial use" policy until you get to the point that your insurance company will accept it as an RV.

I asked my insurance agent about this and they don't care what the title says.

Ask your agent.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #1232
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's not the case for me here in FL. What works or doesn't work for you may not be set in stone for everyone else.
Your state is the only one so far that doesn't follow the 4 of 6 rule. Seems odd that State Farm can make me have requirements that are not required in every state.
Is yours registered as a RV/MH?
FL. regs are meaningless to someone in Pa. trying to register in Vt.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #1233
Bus Geek

Quote:
Your state is the only one so far that doesn't follow the 4 of 6 rule. Seems odd that State Farm can make me have requirements that are not required in every state.
Is yours registered as a RV/MH?
FL. regs are meaningless to someone in Pa. trying to register in Vt.
State laws and insurance company policy are not necessarily the same.

State Farm will not insure my house or bus if I install a wood stove. Why? There is no law in Washington telling me that I cannot have one. It is a policy that they have adopted to reduce the risk of a claim.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #1234
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
State laws and insurance company policy are not necessarily the same.

State Farm will not insure my house or bus if I install a wood stove. Why? There is no law in Washington telling me that I cannot have one. It is a policy that they have adopted to reduce the risk of a claim.
Ya, but I doubt State Farm allows them in any state.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #1235
Mini-Skoolie

How would they know if my conversion is complete. If I tell the insurance company it is a motorhome, and I have a motorhome title, then why would there be any issue with insurance?

Is there a difference between and rv title or motor home title? Maybe a stupid question and I've gotten some flack for wasting peoples time with repeating questions or asking "stupid" questions. Hoping that's just one grumpy person lol. It's really nice to have the forum to connect, learn, and share.

I called to check on the paperwork monday. They told me they wouldn't get to the mail delivered on the 31st until the end of the week. So I will call again tomorrow to see if they have recieved my paperwork.
Seddin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #1236
Bus Geek

Quote:
your state is the only one so far that doesn't follow the 4 of 6 rule. Seems odd that state farm can make me have requirements that are not required in every state.
Is yours registered as a rv/mh?
Fl. Regs are meaningless to someone in pa. Trying to register in vt.
motorhome.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #1237
Bus Geek

Quote:
How would they know if my conversion is complete. If I tell the insurance company it is a motorhome, and I have a motorhome title, then why would there be any issue with insurance?

Is there a difference between and rv title or motor home title? Maybe a stupid question and I've gotten some flack for wasting peoples time with repeating questions or asking "stupid" questions. Hoping that's just one grumpy person lol. It's really nice to have the forum to connect, learn, and share.

I called to check on the paperwork monday. They told me they wouldn't get to the mail delivered on the 31st until the end of the week. So I will call again tomorrow to see if they have recieved my paperwork.
My insurance company has required pictures of my buses. Initially they wanted pictures of the bus with the seats removed to get the "commercial for personal" policy and again when the conversion was complete to switch to RV insurance.

It varies by company and state. IIRC: marc and I are insured by the same company. In Georgia they have not required pictures here in Washington State they have required pictures of all three of mine. YMMV.....
Old 11-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #1238
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My insurance company has required pictures of my buses. Initially they wanted pictures of the bus with the seats removed to get the "commercial for personal" policy and again when the conversion was complete to switch to RV insurance.

It varies by company and state. IIRC: marc and I are insured by the same company. In Georgia they have not required pictures here in Washington State they have required pictures of all three of mine. YMMV.....
All they've ever asked me for was money.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #1239
Bus Geek

Quote:

Unlike DMV workers who have no monetary interest in your bus, the insurance company will require pics or documentation that is it what you say it is.
It is odd that someone is concerned about a question asked by a noob that has been asked/answered a million times. As though there is control on the internet. This site would truely suck if no question that had already been answered was replied with "Do a search, it's here somewhere."
Old 11-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #1240
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
All they've ever asked me for was money.
I think that you and I have had very different experiences with insurance companies.

Around 20 years ago I was rear ended in Phoenix. The company that insured the guy who hit me where beyond HORRIBLE. I wound up having to hire an attorney and suing them. In the end I wound up getting a reasonable settlement just days before we were supposed to go to court.

Other than that I have always been treated fairly.

Thinking back on that I remembered one detail that you may find hard to believe. The attorney asked us to meet him for lunch to pick up the check. Not only did he buy us lunch, he cut his fee by 2/3...

Perhaps not all attorneys and insurance companies are terrible?