Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #1241
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It varies by company and state. IIRC: marc and I are insured by the same company.
TOTALLY varies by state, might as well be completely separate insurance companies!

Really, that is the one point that constantly needs repeating, people just don't get.

That, and a sympathetic **agent** with experience in DIY stuff, vans, trailers whatever

will be dealing with a **completely** different set of rules than you could by calling in to that "same company" directly as a random consumer.

There is no one general statement that will be true across the board.

Where there is a will, there's a way.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #1242

How does one get a Vin verification performed?
Mrshmlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #1243
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I think that you and I have had very different experiences with insurance companies.

Around 20 years ago I was rear ended in Phoenix. The company that insured the guy who hit me where beyond HORRIBLE. I wound up having to hire an attorney and suing them. In the end I wound up getting a reasonable settlement just days before we were supposed to go to court.

Other than that I have always been treated fairly.

Thinking back on that I remembered one detail that you may find hard to believe. The attorney asked us to meet him for lunch to pick up the check. Not only did he buy us lunch, he cut his fee by 2/3...

Perhaps not all attorneys and insurance companies are terrible?
Yeah, it varies heavily from state to state and stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #1244
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
TOTALLY varies by state, might as well be completely separate insurance companies!

Really, that is the one point that constantly needs repeating, people just don't get.

That, and a sympathetic **agent** with experience in DIY stuff, vans, trailers whatever

will be dealing with a **completely** different set of rules than you could by calling in to that "same company" directly as a random consumer.

There is no one general statement that will be true across the board.

Where there is a will, there's a way.
VERy well said, John!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #1245
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshmlow View Post
How does one get a Vin verification performed?
Again, varies by state. Acall to local police or DMV should tell you.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #1246
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
Police department and I believe state certified inspection station depends on state check with ur state dmv
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #1247
Almost There

Police department and I believe state certified inspection station depends on state check with ur state dmv
Old 11-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #1248
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
I think I posted this it’s in another thread recently, but quickly I will add that I was issued a policy by National General . They required pictures before they would issue and they want pictures of my progress. They are quite insistent that I get the seats out right away. The policy will cancel in 90 days if I don’t meet their requirements . Which reminds me, that I need to see where I stand with them add about 30 days in.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #1249
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
I think I posted this it’s in another thread recently, but quickly I will add that I was issued a policy by National General . They required pictures before they would issue and they want pictures of my progress. They are quite insistent that I get the seats out right away. The policy will cancel in 90 days if I don’t meet their requirements . Which reminds me, that I need to see where I stand with them add about 30 days in.
They glad I talked to stated that they will insure only after the conversion is complete and I asked specifically what was required, bedroom bathroom and kitchen, he didn't mention any pics and I ask and he stated those made be good to have at hand but didn't alluded that they were mandatory however, I will have the pics
Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #1250
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Good news, bad news:
I got all my paper work mailed back to me from Vt.

Apparently $30 minimum tax required REGARDLESS of what you did or didn't pay for your bus. Damn -- wish they said that on their website instructions...

See letter below.

BUT, the good news is I will get my MH plates as soon as I get the extra $12 dollars in the mail to them.

I see this morning that the good state of VT has cashed my check!!!

This is such a huge relief for me -- I can now move forward --
One of the problems with this "free bus" was that it didn't have a title...
I did manage to acquire a digital copy of the title -- this was enough for VT.

In Ohio I was faced with a "you can't get there from here" scenario making the bus only good for scrap and a sweet engine to put in a p'up truck -- I guess that won't happen now...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #1251
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:

I see this morning that the good state of VT has cashed my check!!!

This is such a huge relief for me -- I can now move forward --

One of the problems with this "free bus" was that it didn't have a title...

I did manage to acquire a digital copy of the title -- this was enough for VT.

In Ohio I was faced with a "you can't get there from here" scenario making the bus only good for scrap and a sweet engine to put in a p'up truck -- I guess that won't happen now...
You made me check my bank. Mine's not cashed yet.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #1252
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmeskoolu View Post
They glad I talked to stated that they will insure only after the conversion is complete and I asked specifically what was required, bedroom bathroom and kitchen, he didn't mention any pics and I ask and he stated those made be good to have at hand but didn't alluded that they were mandatory however, I will have the pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post

I don't think the option to do a bus under conversion is available in every state yet for National General. What state are you in, I can check with an underwriter.

You definitely need to remove the seats and provide that proof, as well as doing the exterior and interior photos they need. They've been required on all the skoolie's I've insured so far in VA.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #1253
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466e Diesel
What about Inspection?

So if you title your bus as an RV in VT but live say, 1800 miles away, do you need to get the bus inspected to be legal to drive? Obviously I don't want to drive to VT, uninspected, to get inspected. So what gives?
FrugalFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #1254
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
So if you title your bus as an RV in VT but live say, 1800 miles away, do you need to get the bus inspected to be legal to drive? Obviously I don't want to drive to VT, uninspected, to get inspected. So what gives?
The way I understand it, is that as long as you're outside of the state of Vermont you are not required to be inspected by Vermont. It is only if you return to Vermont and take up residence there that you will be required to get an inspection. It seems to be working for a lot of folks who don't live in Vermont.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #1255
Bus Geek

No, just the vehicle entering VT makes you liable for the penalties for never having got it inspected.

Stay away and you're fine.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #1256
Bus Crazy

My plates arrived today!!!

And now to find a thread about insurance 'cause this one's about VT TITLE AND TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION
Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #1257
Bus Geek

Quote:
And now to find a thread about insurance
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ate-28907.html
Old 11-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #1258
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
Vt Vehicle Inspection status is strictly a Vt law -- no other state law or local LEO is authorized (jurisdiction) (or would care...) about your following Vt code...

Should you find yourself visiting Vt, then you should get an inspection while you're there...
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #1259
Bus Crazy

Here's a copy of the VT-119 typed out by me in black and then returned by VT with their corrections in hand written RED.
The forms were returned because VT doesn't accept a taxable amt of less than $500.

Because the bus was sold by a licensed dealer I didn't need to provide further proof of VIN.

I got the plates today -- I assume the validation sticker and transferable registration will be mailed separately for security reasons...
Not only do I now have a "title" to my bus, but it's also now registered as a Truck/MH with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. (yeah, the axles are actually rated at 33,000 but...)
Couldn't be more pleased...
Attached Thumbnails
VT-119 EDITED.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #1260
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Here's a copy of the VT-119 typed out by me in black and then returned by VT with their corrections in hand written RED.

The forms were returned because VT doesn't accept a taxable amt of less than $500.

Because the bus was sold by a licensed dealer I didn't need to provide further proof of VIN.

I got the plates today -- I assume the validation sticker and transferable registration will be mailed separately for security reasons...

Not only do I now have a "title" to my bus, but it's also now registered as a Truck/MH with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. (yeah, the axles are actually rated at 33,000 but...)

Couldn't be more pleased...
Congratulations. I guess they do the mail in paperwork once a month. They didn't cash my check so I'm guessing that I'm going to get something back in the mail marked up in red ink.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote