Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #1281
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by acestravelingplaces View Post
This link is very helpful! At the bottom though, it says all used vehicles being registered for the first time from out of state (not bought through a licensed dealer) needs to complete the VIN Verification form. Did you all do this? I haven't read through ALL of the comments but haven't seen it mentioned.

Also, in section 5, do I list exactly as the title says and put "BU" for body type, even thought I put "motorhome (19)" in section 4?

I am probably overthinking that one but may as well ask ;)
In section 5, "Model" should be TK (for truck) and "Body Type" should be MH. "Make" needs to be the special code for the maker of your bus; for my International the make is AMTC.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #1282
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Here's a copy of the VT-119 typed out by me in black and then returned by VT with their corrections in hand written RED.
The forms were returned because VT doesn't accept a taxable amt of less than $500.

Because the bus was sold by a licensed dealer I didn't need to provide further proof of VIN.

I got the plates today -- I assume the validation sticker and transferable registration will be mailed separately for security reasons...
Not only do I now have a "title" to my bus, but it's also now registered as a Truck/MH with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. (yeah, the axles are actually rated at 33,000 but...)
Couldn't be more pleased...
Quote:
This link is very helpful! At the bottom though, it says all used vehicles being registered for the first time from out of state (not bought through a licensed dealer) needs to complete the VIN Verification form. Did you all do this? I haven't read through ALL of the comments but haven't seen it mentioned.

Also, in section 5, do I list exactly as the title says and put "BU" for body type, even thought I put "motorhome (19)" in section 4?

I am probably overthinking that one but may as well ask ;)
Just like this...
See my example from post #1259 (linked above)
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #1283
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
@acestravelingplaces yes you are overthinking! Use the sample form provided you can't go wrong!
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #1284
Almost There

Year: 2001
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
I sent in my title just to make sure, my bus is 2000 and included the title, however both title and fee was returned to me you only need vin verified if no title.
An on another note if bus older than 15yrs you will not get a title from VT but send in title to proved ownership ( the vin verification Is to prove ownership in absence of a title) but do not include title fee, so if you don't have a title then you need vin verification. I would assume then they would issue a title however that wasn't my case like I said Im asuming. so verify by calling VT DMV. They're the most helpful and friendly DMV I have experienced. I got everything back in month exactly and at the time they had a 2wk mail room back up .
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #1285

Year: 2005
Question about the Title?

Hi there, I'm new here, just bought a bus and I'm planning to try to get it registered using the Vermont Method.
I am wondering if I need to get it re-titled in my name before sending everything in? I imagine I would need to but just I just wanted to make sure, Thank.
UrielG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #1286
Bus Geek

Maybe read at least some of the thread?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #1287
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
Woohoo! Check was cashed today (12/13). Mailed in paperwork on 11/19.
cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #1288
Skoolie

Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
So I have run into some problems recently... apparently Indiana no longer accepts a Vermont title as the only proof of ownership. I went today to try to transfer the Vermont title from my second bus and they showed me the memo that said lack of a title (or the presence or a “transferable registration”) does not constitute vehicle ownership. They denied me the title transfer and sent me home. Anyone got any ideas?
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #1289
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
So I have run into some problems recently... apparently Indiana no longer accepts a Vermont title as the only proof of ownership. I went today to try to transfer the Vermont title from my second bus and they showed me the memo that said lack of a title (or the presence or a “transferable registration”) does not constitute vehicle ownership. They denied me the title transfer and sent me home. Anyone got any ideas?
I would be inclined to get a copy of that memo. Keep it with the Vt registration and if you're ever pulled over in IN and asked why you haven't changed your registration show the LEO the memo and shrug your shoulders...

As long as you have proper insurance, if IN doesn't want your tax money stay rego'd in Vt.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #1290
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Did you ask them what you would need to verify ownership? There are lots of states out there that simply don't issue titles for vehicles once they hit a certain age. So Indiana plans on not allowing any of them to be registered in their state should someone move there with one of those vehicles? Seems kinda dumb.
want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #1291
Mini-Skoolie

Copied and pasted from Indiana's transfer of out of state title to Indiana packet lead page. Seems if you have the original bill of sale or sales contract from whoever you bought it from you should be good to go.

Lacy, Commissioner
TRANSFER OF OUT-OF-STATE TITLE TO INDIANA
Vehicle and Watercraft Title Application Checklist
Indiana residents who purchased a vehicle or watercraft from a dealer located in a different state may mail their
application for certificate of title to the BMV Central Office. Prior to submitting an application, verify the required
information is included. Contact (88 692-6841 with any questions.
When submitting paperwork, include the following:
☐ Application for Certificate of Title for a Vehicle – State Form 205 or Application for Certificate of Watercraft Title – State
Form 38529.

Proof of Ownership: A manufacturer’s certificate of origin, certificate of title, bill of sale, purchase order, or sales contract.

☐ Odometer Disclosure Statement – State Form 43230 (if odometer statement is not completed on the certificate of title or
certificate of origin). Trailers, vehicles over 16,000 pounds, and watercraft are exempt.
☐ Physical Inspection of a Vehicle orWatercraft – State Form 39530
☐ One proof of address. A driver’s license or identification card may be accepted as proof if the address on the credential
is correct. If the address is not correct, any document from the approved BMV documentation list that is dated within
the last 60 days may be used as proof. To view the approved documentation list, click on the link provided or visit
myBMV.com.
☐ Submit payment for the following vehicle or watercraft (as applicable) title application fees and taxes. Payable by
MasterCard or Visa, check, electronic check, or money order.
☐ $15 title application fee.
☐ $30 additional administrative penalty will be assessed on a title application packet received 45 days after
the purchase date.
☐ $25 speed title fee. This optional fee is in addition to the $15 title application fee. Paying the optional speed title
fee ensures that the title is processed in a period of time that is substantially shorter than the normal processing
period.
☐ If the vehicle is transferring ownership, include 7% sales tax of the purchase price or provide proof of sales tax
paid on an ST108 – Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid – State Form 48842. If exempt from sales tax,
include an ST108E – Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption – State Form 48841.
☐ Vehicle color: (List color on line)
☐ Vehicle fuel type (select one):
☐ Gasoline ☐ Diesel ☐ Hybrid
☐ Electric ☐ Other
For your convenience, the required forms are included with this checklist. The forms are also available at myBMV.com. Mail the
completed packet to:
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204
If the BMV determines that sufficient credible evidence exists to substantiate the applicant’s claim of ownership, a title will be
issued. If all required documents are not submitted or information is incomplete the entireapplicationwill be returned.
want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #1292
Skoolie

Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
How to immediatEly register your bus as an RV without conversion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2camp View Post
Copied and pasted from Indiana's transfer of out of state title to Indiana packet lead page. Seems if you have the original bill of sale or sales contract from whoever you bought it from you should be good to go.

Lacy, Commissioner

TRANSFER OF OUT-OF-STATE TITLE TO INDIANA

Vehicle and Watercraft Title Application Checklist

Indiana residents who purchased a vehicle or watercraft from a dealer located in a different state may mail their

application for certificate of title to the BMV Central Office. Prior to submitting an application, verify the required

information is included. Contact (88 692-6841 with any questions.

When submitting paperwork, include the following:

☐ Application for Certificate of Title for a Vehicle – State Form 205 or Application for Certificate of Watercraft Title – State

Form 38529.

Proof of Ownership: A manufacturer’s certificate of origin, certificate of title, bill of sale, purchase order, or sales contract.

☐ Odometer Disclosure Statement – State Form 43230 (if odometer statement is not completed on the certificate of title or

certificate of origin). Trailers, vehicles over 16,000 pounds, and watercraft are exempt.

☐ Physical Inspection of a Vehicle orWatercraft – State Form 39530

☐ One proof of address. A driver’s license or identification card may be accepted as proof if the address on the credential

is correct. If the address is not correct, any document from the approved BMV documentation list that is dated within

the last 60 days may be used as proof. To view the approved documentation list, click on the link provided or visit

myBMV.com.

☐ Submit payment for the following vehicle or watercraft (as applicable) title application fees and taxes. Payable by

MasterCard or Visa, check, electronic check, or money order.

☐ $15 title application fee.

☐ $30 additional administrative penalty will be assessed on a title application packet received 45 days after

the purchase date.

☐ $25 speed title fee. This optional fee is in addition to the $15 title application fee. Paying the optional speed title

fee ensures that the title is processed in a period of time that is substantially shorter than the normal processing

period.

☐ If the vehicle is transferring ownership, include 7% sales tax of the purchase price or provide proof of sales tax

paid on an ST108 – Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid – State Form 48842. If exempt from sales tax,

include an ST108E – Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption – State Form 48841.

☐ Vehicle color: (List color on line)

☐ Vehicle fuel type (select one):

☐ Gasoline ☐ Diesel ☐ Hybrid

☐ Electric ☐ Other

For your convenience, the required forms are included with this checklist. The forms are also available at myBMV.com. Mail the

completed packet to:

Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Central Office Title Processing

100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411

Indianapolis, IN 46204

If the BMV determines that sufficient credible evidence exists to substantiate the applicant’s claim of ownership, a title will be

issued. If all required documents are not submitted or information is incomplete the entireapplicationwill be returned.

The problem with the bill of sale is that it is from when I originally purchased it in Indiana. It says bus, whereas the Vermont title says it’s a RV.
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #1293
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The problem with the bill of sale is that it is from when I originally purchased it in Indiana. It says bus, whereas the Vermont title says it’s a RV.
If you're not lying, you're not trying...

Make up a new bill of sale...

My BOS's only state the make, vin, mileage. There's no reason to say bus on it...
Old 12-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #1294
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
Got my plates in the mail today. Right at 1 month from the date I dropped everything off in the mail.
cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #1295

Attempting out of NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated May 28 2019

UPDATE: Per the moderator of this forum, this POST will be kept updated with the most recent information based on member experiences. Registration costs increase by a few dollars every now and then so check for yourself before sending out your money.
-----
I've used this method frequently for old abandoned motorcycles I bought that had no title.

Many states have hoops that they'll make you jump through before they'll designate your skoolie as an RV. "Meet four out of seven requirements" or such nonsense. New York, where I reside, is one of those states. They are a PITA with everything vehicle related, and I know many states are following in the same suit.

Vermont, on the other hand, is not one of these states. As of the date I'm writing this, all they requested from me was that I remove the school insignia and repaint the bus. They didn't require an inspection or proof of conversion. It should be noted, however, that I have a bus with hydraulic brakes -- although, under motor home classification they don't even ask about air brakes. Check with your state to see if you need anything extra to drive with air brakes.

Vermont will offer a transferrable registration for any vehicle over 15 years old. They won't give you a title -- but fear not, you can use this registration to then title your bus in your resident state if it's really that big of an issue. Realistically, it shouldn't be. I have been using out of state plates in NY for years without issue. If your bus is newer than 15 years you will receive a bonafide Vermont title.

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

- You can skip Sections 2 and 3A. To be safe, I completed 3B with the sellers info.

- Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use.

- Fill out Section 5 with the relevant info from your title. If you do not have a title, fill it out as best you can. Beneath that, just to be safe, I listed the amount of axles, empty weight, and gross weight of my bus under "trucks".

- Under Section 6, write in the price you purchased the bus for. Vermont uses the purchase value -- or the listed NADA value -- whichever is greater, to calculate sales tax. Most buses are not listed in NADA. In this case, simply use 6 percent of what you paid for the bus. In my case, 2550 x .06(%) = $153. Write your total under "Net Taxable".

- Leave Section 7 blank unless you are tax exempt or purchasing a vehicle over 25 yrs old. I do not know how that works if your vehicle is older.

Add up your fees in Section 9 and figure out the total. For most of us, this should just be the registration fee for a Motor Home (As of now, $76 for one year or $140 for two years) and the tax calculated previously in Section 6.

If, however, your bus is newer than 15 years, and you are expecting a title back, include an extra $35 title fee. Check should be issued to "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" for the total combined amount. For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

So just to be repetitive:

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

Sign your application at the bottom and mail all that stuff in to the Vermont DMV at:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Wait 2 weeks and call to check the status of your application. If there are no problems turnaround is generally 2-3 weeks.

As of 10/29/18, turnaround time is between 3-4 weeks. Registration generally takes the full month. Please plan accordingly.

Your bus is now legally registered as an RV regardless of your geographic location and the title or transferable registration that was issued will make it possible to retitle your bus in your home state with (hopefully) no issues, should you so choose. For most of us full timers it doesn't really matter as we're all over the place geographically.

**A NOTE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITLE AND TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION**

As far as you should be concerned, there is none. Both designate ownership. If you look on the back of a transferable registration you will see a place to sign over your slip to another person in the event of a sale. Hence the added "transferable". Just like a title. A regular registration does not designate ownership. Only the title designates ownership. That is the difference. Depending on the age of the vehicle, and in some cases a few other stipulations, many states will not issue an original title. It does not matter. They are effectively the SAME thing. Please do not get confused by this or add fire to the discussion with anecdotal hypotheticals as every state will honor a transferable registration. One more time, when transferring to another state you will either receive a TITLE or a TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION. Each state has a different policy and it does not matter which you receive back. A transferable registration is just as good as a title in every way.

Hope this helps everyone else struggling in the more difficult states. Leave a comment and tell me about your experiences.

Examples:

So I am in NH and I bought my bus back in 2016. At the time I registered it normally as a passenger vehicle here. It is currently registered in NH and has a new title in my name. I would like to register it as a Motorhome and know that NH can be a pain in the ass with that so I was looking into this Vermont route. I wasn’t sure if this was an option that would work for me as I did not just recently buy it and it is already registered and titled in NH. I appreciate any insight and I’m not sure exactly how that all works. Thank you!

Jeremiah
JeremiahLoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #1296
Bus Geek

Should be fine just read the thread.

99.9% of those using this method never go near the state, but you live next door.

So just know if you don't get it inspected you are illegal within Vermont.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #1297

We got our plates in the mail today! Just over a month, but it was the holiday season so I expected it to take a little bit. So excited! Does the actual registration come separately? We just received the plates only.
acestravelingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #1298
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
We got our plates in the mail today! Just over a month, but it was the holiday season so I expected it to take a little bit. So excited! Does the actual registration come separately? We just received the plates only.
yep. in a week or so, it will have your sticker too. Congrats!
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #1299

What about getting it insured before transferring the VT title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I don't either. They will still register it.

We're planning on buying a bus to convert to a skoolie, but before that we will be using it to move. This Vermont registration sounds like the best option, but what do we do about the insurance? We'll have DL's from one state, the bus registered in VT and heading across the country to move to another state. Will our vehicle insurance add the bus to our coverage even with a VT title?
Skoolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #1300
Bus Geek

Should do NP, but just get it independently if not