Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #661
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Vermont won’t issue a new title for vehicles over 15 years old. But they will give you a transferable registration meaning you can take it and register it in California as an RV after you register it in Vermont. Note that you have to wait a minimum of 90 days before you register it in California or you will have to pay sales tax again - it might be 180 days, not sure.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #662
Mini-Skoolie

Another possibility from a rookie

Let me begin by stating that I am only in the "research" step of creating my skoole and have no actual experience in this. I have been following this thread for a while and I think I might have a possible solution.
I have seen others that are converting step vans and what they do is to register as a "commercial vehicle for private use". Is this feasible for a bus?
I DO like the Vermont option. I spent about five years living there, and can speak from experience that they definitely have a much more "laid back" way of doing things like this. I wonder though if they are flooded with school bus registration applications if they might revise their standards.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your input and advice on all matters "Skoolie". I have learned a lot!
erniejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #663

No bill of sale

Hello! I have a question.
We bought our bus back in May of this year. We got the title in our name and it says on their that the previous owner is ‘Pasadena isd.’ We bought it thru an auction company. But we did not get a bill of sale. I think we got a hand written receipt? But I’m not finding it anywhere. We have just had the bus parked on our property while we have worked on it. Now we are at the point we’d like to register it, so we can legally drive it on the road. I’m thinking of taking this route... registering thru Vermont. The only problem is I do not have a bill of sale. Do I just find a generic bill of sale document (or the specific one for Vermont) and fill out what I can? I know the auctioneers name and address and such. But his name is not anywhere on our title. Does that matter?
Our bus is a 1991 international... so it is older than 25 years.
Thank you for your help
simpletradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #664
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If the title is in your name, you are the legal owner. You don't need a bill of sale, you only needed it when you got the title transferred. You just need to go in and register your boss.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:43 AM   #665
Bus Nut

Just give a credible price paid for the fee / tax, not zero without proof, even if that is the truth.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote