Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #1361
Bus Geek

OK then great, I just meant on the not getting nor needing a title.

Would be great for someone to make a new locked summary thread, leave this one for questions and the back and forth

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #1362
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 3600 Turbo
Yeah I wanted to make sure I touched on all points in the same post is all 😁🙃
Gir_dog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #1363

Just got my bus registered as a motor home last week in Tennessee. Only thing they wanted, was for me to sign A affidavit that I’m converting it to a motorhome
Dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #1364
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith View Post
Just got my bus registered as a motor home last week in Tennessee. Only thing they wanted, was for me to sign A affidavit that I’m converting it to a motorhome
Got any form numbers? You live in Tennessee?
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #1365

http://www.tncountyclerk.com/forms/G..._Affidavit.pdf
That was the only form I needed to have the bus titled as a motorhome in Tennessee. In the blank on the form they put motorhome conversion
Dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #1366
Skoolie

Thank you, I am taking a look.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #1367
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith View Post
http://www.tncountyclerk.com/forms/G..._Affidavit.pdf
That was the only form I needed to have the bus titled as a motorhome in Tennessee. In the blank on the form they put motorhome conversion
Is it a problem for someone that lives out of state?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #1368
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir_dog42 View Post
I purchased a 1991 International 72 passenger in December of 2018 from Florida and was delivered to Pa. Getting a skoolie titled in PA is a process. If you take one seat out it is deemed "illegal" to drive even if you have a CDL because it's now "modified"

So, if anyone has experience with titling a bus in VT that's over 25 years old with a bill of sale please give me any tips you have!

-Sarah
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello, fellow Pennite. I don't personally recommend this since I think it's a bureaucratic oversight on the part of PennDOT, but it is apparently possible (a number of PA residents have done this) to change the title from "BUS" to "MOTORHOME" just by mailing in the title change form (MV-41 I think is the form designation). According to my local tag & title person and people I've spoken to at PennDOT, a skoolie does qualify as a "modified vehicle" which requires a separate form (I forget the form designation) and a special inspection as well as sign-off from the licensed mechanic who did the modification (i.e. not you even if you did the work).

However, there doesn't appear to be any check for this at PennDOT, so they will change the designation on the title from BUS to MOTORHOME, no questions asked. I told my tag & title person about this (she has taken three people through the skoolie modification process with the special inspection) and she was very surprised that it works. She thinks it's likely that this would be caught if you're ever stopped or in an accident, and your title would be retroactively revoked at that time.

PennDOT has very elaborate documentation regarding van conversions to motorhomes, requiring the same form and inspection, and I suspect this is where the oversight comes into play. If you tried to change VAN to MOTORHOME with the mail-in form, you probably would automatically get flagged for the missing modified vehicle form; but it perhaps has not occurred to anybody yet that a change from BUS to MOTORHOME should be flagged in the same way.

I avoided the whole mess by registering my bus as a motorhome in Vermont, like a lot of skooliers do. My insurance company (Allstate) doesn't seem to care and I have RV insurance with them despite residing in PA. There is just no way I want to go through the PA modified vehicle process - they might easily decide to fail me because of the reconstruction of my floor I've had to do.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #1369
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir_dog42 View Post
Seeing as there is a separate section also including tax exemption for busses over 25 years old I am sure it is relevant.

This probably has to do with "classic" status, which I doubt OP is interested in. I would just register it as instructed.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #1370

Just sent mine in earlier this week, will update when I get some feedback. The first post is great and super helpful on filling out all the information.
Slacker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #1371
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OK then great, I just meant on the not getting nor needing a title.

Would be great for someone to make a new locked summary thread, leave this one for questions and the back and forth
The summary is the first post. It is still editable and updated. All the information needed should be in it. If you think any more info needs added, please leave a comment and I'll add it.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #1372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker83 View Post
Just sent mine in earlier this week, will update when I get some feedback. The first post is great and super helpful on filling out all the information.
Just received a letter in the mail that Vermont was unable to to process my application because they needed proof of the sales tax being paid to IL. I had provided a bill of sale that came with the bus and highlighted tax was paid. The comments from Vermont were "the auction receipt is not from a dealer". This is true it was purchased at auction but shows I did indeed pay tax for the bus. I am going to call them tomorrow and talk it over but I am unsure how else to prove I paid IL tax. At the end of the day if I need to pay tax to them also it is only $100 a way cheaper and easier than to deal with getting it titled as a motorhome in IL.

On my application they did write TK next to model where I wrote E450 and struck out white for color. Not sure why they did this but they did.
Slacker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #1373
Bus Geek

Sounds like maybe you need evidence the auction house passed the tax amount to the state.

Just pay the $100 I think
Old 04-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #1374

Engine: 8.3L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84 passenger (40 ft)
Our application should be arriving to the VT DMV tomorrow! I’ll post if I get any updates Fingers crossed!
startedonlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #1375
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Sent mine in February 28th just before all the poop hit the fan. Check cleared last Friday and received my plates yesterday.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #1376
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Got my plates

I sent my paperwork 17 March and received my plates today (03 April 20). For reference my bus is 15 years old so I will be receiving just the registration, no title.

https://www.instagram.com/pilgrim_days/
DrDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #1377

I sent my paperwork in March 10, got delivery confirmation March 12, and just received my plates yesterday. Still waiting on the registration, but I am converting in a rural area so there is no mail on the weekend. I’m sure the tags will arrive Monday.

Btw, I followed all of the advice here and didn’t have any corrections on my form. It’s worth scrolling through each page. Lots of good info in this thread.
Scphoto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:38 AM   #1378
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDanger View Post
I sent my paperwork 17 March and received my plates today (03 April 20). For reference my bus is 15 years old so I will be receiving just the registration, no title.
I am still waiting on the tags (as of 07Apr20). I thought they would arrive a day or two after the plates, but now I'm not sure. Did they get lost in the mail? What is the usual lag time between receiving plates and registration? What has been your experience?
DrDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #1379
Bus Geek

Lotsa folk report a couple weeks later.

And things ain't normal now
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #1380
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDanger View Post
I am still waiting on the tags (as of 07Apr20). I thought they would arrive a day or two after the plates, but now I'm not sure. Did they get lost in the mail? What is the usual lag time between receiving plates and registration? What has been your experience?
We got our plates without incident a few weeks after submitting all

the registration didn't come... after 3 weeks I called and was told "sorry, it was sent downstairs to post but never made it out to post" was assured it would be

2-3 weeks later still nothing... called again. Told was unsure what happened, they would send another.

It arrived about 3 days later

and as pointed out with the lurgy causing havoc all will be slower still

if you have tags then don't worry...
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote