Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #1381
Bus Geek

What's a "lurgy" when it's at home?

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #1382
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What's a "lurgy" when it's at home?
lurgy (plural lurgies)

(Britain, slang) A fictitious, highly infectious disease; often used in the phrase "the dreaded lurgi", sometimes as a reference to flu-like symptoms
(Britain, slang) Any uncategorised disease with symptoms similar to a cold or flu that renders one unable to work.

RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #1383
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
lurgy (plural lurgies)

(Britain, slang) A fictitious, highly infectious disease; often used in the phrase "the dreaded lurgi", sometimes as a reference to flu-like symptoms
(Britain, slang) Any uncategorised disease with symptoms similar to a cold or flu that renders one unable to work.

I love British slang. Reminded me of this..

http://i.imgur.com/EFGnF.png
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #1384
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
lurgy (plural lurgies)

I looked it up to see if the G is hard or soft, says

"rhymes with Fergie" but that didn't help

is that short for the name Furguson?
Old 04-09-2020, 09:22 PM   #1385
Bus Geek

Found it, hard G, apparently a princess and pop singer nickname
Old 04-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #1386

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Rated Cap: 25,200 lb - 47 cap
Just got my application all filled out and printed and noticed on the info sheet that prints with it that I need "vin verification" due to buying privately. Just wanted to check with anyone that have gone through this process if I do or not.

I purchased the bus privately and have not been able to get the title put in my name as of yet(MISOS is closed until further notice).

So my question is has anybody just sent a copy of the bill of sale and title(with both your name and sellers name) in without a vin check?
yoop89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #1387
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoop89 View Post
Just got my application all filled out and printed and noticed on the info sheet that prints with it that I need "vin verification" due to buying privately. Just wanted to check with anyone that have gone through this process if I do or not.

I purchased the bus privately and have not been able to get the title put in my name as of yet(MISOS is closed until further notice).

So my question is has anybody just sent a copy of the bill of sale and title(with both your name and sellers name) in without a vin check?
I'm pretty sure you only need vin verification if you do not have a title. Private party doesn't matter.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #1388
Mini-Skoolie

In California, the CHP (California highway patrol) has to do a VIN check in person. The department of motor vehicles wants to see a toilet and bed bolted to the floor to consider ita motorhome. Tip: always refer to your rig as a 'motorhome' during the process. If you use the word 'Bus' they'll likely want to register you as a commercial vehicle. California is strict though.
Ace Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #1389
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Wilder View Post
In California, the CHP (California highway patrol) has to do a VIN check in person. The department of motor vehicles wants to see a toilet and bed bolted to the floor to consider ita motorhome. Tip: always refer to your rig as a 'motorhome' during the process. If you use the word 'Bus' they'll likely want to register you as a commercial vehicle. California is strict though.
The VIN check if needed at all is for **VT** registration, a standalone verification, authentication, like going to a notary.

Nothing to do with CA rego rules.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #1390
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas International
Chassis: S1700
Sent my application in the mail on the 14th of March, right at the beginning of all the lock-downs and quarantine. Received my plates less than two weeks later. Just got my sticker and registration card in the mail over the weekend. SO stoked!

Had a bit of a freak out last week when I hadn't gotten the sticker yet. Made a call to the Vermont DMV and talked to a very nice lady who explained that they have minimal staff and are only working Tues-Thursday, so things are going a little longer than normal. She checked for me and said I was in the system, so keep checking she said. 3 days later, got it in the mail.

One quick question for everyone who has a bus older than 15 years and only got the transferable registration. What did you do with that, as far as keeping it safe? I decided to scan it and keep original in my files and laminated the copy to keep in the bus.

BTW, our build can be followed here: https://www.instagram.com/fezzik_the_bus/

Cheers!

-David
spenceadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #1391

I did receive my plates last week but haven't seen the registration yet but expect it any day now. Process worked great.
Slacker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #1392

Obtaining a new title

Once I get my bus registered in Vermont, how do we obtain a title with our name on it? We live in CA, our bus is older than 15 years (1990) we have the title from the company we bought the bus from, it’s signed by their representative and he wrote their company name on there as well. Also, do we send the original title with the application? And just keep a copy for ourselves?
GypsyQueen143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #1393
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyQueen143 View Post
Once I get my bus registered in Vermont, how do we obtain a title with our name on it? We live in CA, our bus is older than 15 years (1990) we have the title from the company we bought the bus from, it’s signed by their representative and he wrote their company name on there as well. Also, do we send the original title with the application? And just keep a copy for ourselves?
Start by reading the instructions given in the first post of this thread.
That post alone gets updated to provide current info.

Send only duplicates to VT (per their instruction) in case anything gets lost.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #1394

Year: 2004
Engine: ERMBE 906210
I live in Maryland...I see videos on youtube about several people who bought a bus and converted it, but not too clear on process start to finish. Getting it weighed, inspected, before I can get tags...NEED HELP....
MadMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #1395
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMx View Post
I live in Maryland...I see videos on youtube about several people who bought a bus and converted it, but not too clear on process start to finish. Getting it weighed, inspected, before I can get tags...NEED HELP....
Start your own thread with Maryland in the title.

This is about VT rego process only
Old 04-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #1396
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas International
Chassis: S1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMx View Post
Register bus in VT as detailed in first post of this thread. VERY easy process. You can live in MD and register/title in VT. Just did that myself. Bought bus here in MD and three weeks later I had my plates from VT.
spenceadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #1397
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceadventures View Post
One quick question for everyone who has a bus older than 15 years and only got the transferable registration. What did you do with that, as far as keeping it safe? I decided to scan it and keep original in my files and laminated the copy to keep in the bus.
Same here, I got the plates quickly and then was worried that the registration had been lost in the mail or something. As far as your question goes, that seems smart. I don't think there is anything special about the paper that it is printed on or anything (as far as I can tell looking at mine).

https://www.instagram.com/pilgrim_days/
DrDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #1398
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 3600 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Hello, fellow Pennite. I don't personally recommend this since I think it's a bureaucratic oversight on the part of PennDOT, but it is apparently possible (a number of PA residents have done this) to change the title from "BUS" to "MOTORHOME" just by mailing in the title change form (MV-41 I think is the form designation). According to my local tag & title person and people I've spoken to at PennDOT, a skoolie does qualify as a "modified vehicle" which requires a separate form (I forget the form designation) and a special inspection as well as sign-off from the licensed mechanic who did the modification (i.e. not you even if you did the work).

However, there doesn't appear to be any check for this at PennDOT, so they will change the designation on the title from BUS to MOTORHOME, no questions asked. I told my tag & title person about this (she has taken three people through the skoolie modification process with the special inspection) and she was very surprised that it works. She thinks it's likely that this would be caught if you're ever stopped or in an accident, and your title would be retroactively revoked at that time.

PennDOT has very elaborate documentation regarding van conversions to motorhomes, requiring the same form and inspection, and I suspect this is where the oversight comes into play. If you tried to change VAN to MOTORHOME with the mail-in form, you probably would automatically get flagged for the missing modified vehicle form; but it perhaps has not occurred to anybody yet that a change from BUS to MOTORHOME should be flagged in the same way.

I avoided the whole mess by registering my bus as a motorhome in Vermont, like a lot of skooliers do. My insurance company (Allstate) doesn't seem to care and I have RV insurance with them despite residing in PA. There is just no way I want to go through the PA modified vehicle process - they might easily decide to fail me because of the reconstruction of my floor I've had to do.
Sorry for delay in my response.

So, my main question is through Vermont it has about the vehicle being over 25 years old.

I know the process in Pennsylvania is a huge pain and I live in a rural area (an hour north on Pittsburgh) where it would be almost impossible to get an inspection done. I'm not getting it titled here because they want to charge per seat and as soon as you remove one seat it is deemed illegal for road use until re-titled and inspection is done.

I thank you for all of you input and help 😁
Gir_dog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #1399

So I’ve been watching my bank account like a hawk since sending in my app on the 15th of April. Haven’t seen a thing. I come home today and was pleasantly surprised to find my plate in the mail!

That’s gotta be some kind of record right? They still haven’t cashed my check either which could just be a lag in the banking system.

We’ll see if the tags follow soon after.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #1400

Wanted to also say thanks for all the great info in this thread! With some reading and all the updates in the first post it made it the easiest part of our conversion so far.