Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #1441
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You think it'll "blow over?"

Like HIV/AIDS did huh. . .
Just a bit, yea. Because this is completely different from HIV/AIDS.

COVID-19 is a coronavirus like MERS or SARS. These viruses sort of fade out as the majority of the vectors gain immunity (Preferably through a vaccine). This one may hang around a little longer than those did though since it is more widespread. That is assuming it doesn't find a permanent home in animal vectors, of course.

HIV is a virus that expresses something called viral latency. That is when a virus can go dormant in the host cells where it can't be targeted by the immune system and then pop out some time later. These are harder to cut down because you never really remove the vectors from the population, and because everyone who doesn't have it still lacks immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Virus's don't blow away...

What exactly are you waiting for -- either you need a registration or you don't.

Vt's open for business and can use your money...
Well, I need a registration, but the bus will be in construction for a while so I don't need a registration right now.

I used that phrase because in my state, the registration office closed completely and weren't accepting new registrations. So "Blow Over" was really just referring to whether all of the necessary people are still working and receiving mail.

Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #1442
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
Just a bit, yea. Because this is completely different from HIV/AIDS.

These are harder to cut down because you never really remove the vectors from the population, and because everyone who doesn't have it still lacks immunity.
There is as of yet no evidence of any immune response to COVID.

It might only give a few months' resistance.

Any possible vaccine relies on this, same with "herd immunity' if any

we just don't know yet.

Meantime, we are being asked to accept thousands of USians dying from this daily as the new normal.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22P2IJ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22W34T
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #1443
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, I need a registration, but the bus will be in construction for a while so I don't need a registration right now.

I used that phrase because in my state, the registration office closed completely and weren't accepting new registrations. So "Blow Over" was really just referring to whether all of the necessary people are still working and receiving mail.
Great, I bet so long as DMV is closed cops won't hassle.

But if you're going to do VT, do that now, takes a while and they are open and working at least by mail.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #1444
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
There is as of yet no evidence of any immune response to COVID.

It might only give a few months' resistance.

Any possible vaccine relies on this, same with "herd immunity' if any

we just don't know yet.

Meantime, we are being asked to accept thousands of USians dying from this daily as the new normal.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22P2IJ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22W34T
Wow, I hadn't noticed that antibody responses for other coronaviruses were so short lived.

The antibody response for MERS only lasted ~18 months and SARS only lasted for ~3 years. Those are short enough periods for the virus to continue making rounds. Looks like there is a significant possibility that a vaccine may be our primary hope this time.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread for coronavirus news.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #1445
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace243 View Post
How does one find the 'NADA' value of a bus?
It most likely doesn't have one.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #1446
Bus Geek

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't noticed that antibody responses for other coronaviruses were so short lived.
The vaccine can only give protection for that period too.

Got your rabies and tetanus boosters lately?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #1447

No Bill of Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated Mar 4 2020

UPDATE: Per the moderator of this forum, this POST will be kept updated with the most recent information based on member experiences. You do not need to scroll through the whole thread for the newest information.
Everything written here is up to date, however, please check the last few replies for the most recent info as processing time may vary. Registration costs increase by a few dollars every now and then so check for yourself before sending out your money.
-----
I've used this method frequently for old abandoned motorcycles I bought that had no title.

Many states have hoops that they'll make you jump through before they'll designate your skoolie as an RV. "Meet four out of seven requirements" or such nonsense. New York, where I reside, is one of those states. They are a PITA with everything vehicle related, and I know many states are following in the same suit.

Vermont, on the other hand, is not one of these states. As of the date I'm writing this, all they requested from me was that I remove the school insignia and repaint the bus. They didn't require an inspection or proof of conversion. It should be noted, however, that I have a bus with hydraulic brakes -- although, under motor home classification they don't even ask about air brakes. Check with your state to see if you need anything extra to drive with air brakes.

Vermont will offer a transferrable registration for any vehicle over 15 years old. They won't give you a title -- but fear not, you can use this registration to then title your bus in your resident state if it's really that big of an issue. Realistically, it shouldn't be. I have been using out of state plates in NY for years without issue. If your bus is newer than 15 years you will receive a bonafide Vermont title.

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

- You can skip Sections 2 and 3A. To be safe, I completed 3B with the sellers info.

- Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use.

- Fill out Section 5 with the relevant info from your title. If you do not have a title, fill it out as best you can. Beneath that, just to be safe, I listed the amount of axles, empty weight, and gross weight of my bus under "trucks".

- Under Section 6, write in the price you purchased the bus for. Vermont uses the purchase value -- or the listed NADA value -- whichever is greater, to calculate sales tax. Most buses are not listed in NADA. In this case, simply use 6 percent of what you paid for the bus. In my case, 2550 x .06(%) = $153. Write your total under "Net Taxable". Vermont will not accept 6% of ANYTHING less than $500 total. If you you were "gifted" the bus, calculate 6% of $500, but be warned that in my experience you'll likely receive your check back with a note to use NADA value instead.

- Leave Section 7 blank unless you are tax exempt or purchasing a vehicle over 25 yrs old. I do not know how that works if your vehicle is older.

Add up your fees in Section 9 and figure out the total. For most of us, this should just be the registration fee for a Motor Home (As of now, $76 for one year or $140 for two years) and the tax calculated previously in Section 6.

If, however, your bus is newer than 15 years, and you are expecting a title back, include an extra $35 title fee. Check should be issued to "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" for the total combined amount. For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

So just to be repetitive:

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

Sign your application at the bottom and mail all that stuff in to the Vermont DMV at:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Wait 2 weeks and call to check the status of your application. If there are no problems turnaround is generally 2-3 weeks.

As of 10/29/18, turnaround time is between 3-4 weeks. Registration generally takes the full month. Please plan accordingly.

Your bus is now legally registered as an RV regardless of your geographic location and the title or transferable registration that was issued will make it possible to retitle your bus in your home state with (hopefully) no issues, should you so choose. For most of us full timers it doesn't really matter as we're all over the place geographically.

**A NOTE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITLE AND TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION**

As far as you should be concerned, there is none. Both designate ownership. If you look on the back of a transferable registration you will see a place to sign over your slip to another person in the event of a sale. Hence the added "transferable". Just like a title. A regular registration does not designate ownership. Only the title designates ownership. That is the difference. Depending on the age of the vehicle, and in some cases a few other stipulations, many states will not issue an original title. It does not matter. They are effectively the SAME thing. Please do not get confused by this or add fire to the discussion with anecdotal hypotheticals as every state will honor a transferable registration. One more time, when transferring to another state you will either receive a TITLE or a TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION. Each state has a different policy and it does not matter which you receive back. A transferable registration is just as good as a title in every way.

Hope this helps everyone else struggling in the more difficult states. Leave a comment and tell me about your experiences.

Examples:

I don't have a bill of sale which seems to be required by the Vermont DMV. I have the title though. I bought it from a guy in Wisconsin and it would be hard to contact him to get it. Do I need this when sending in all my infor to get registered?
Shelbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #1448
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar DTA360 6cyl Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbinator View Post
I don't have a bill of sale which seems to be required by the Vermont DMV. I have the title though. I bought it from a guy in Wisconsin and it would be hard to contact him to get it. Do I need this when sending in all my infor to get registered?
To register in VT because you don’t have a title you must have a Bill of Sale.
PitskyWitbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #1449

Hey all, first post! Just sent the reg in two days ago and crossing my fingers. Question - if I already paid tax to NYS on the purchase of my bus and I have attached the receipt of purchase and bill of sale, do I still need to attach the 6% VT tax?

Thanks!
MisterWicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #1450
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbinator View Post
Not saying to "forge" a bill of sale --

But I am saying you can create an accurate bos with all accurate information and just print the sellers name -- if your intent is only portraying accurate information you're not doing much wrong...

VT has a minimum taxable value of $500 regardless of what you paid for the vehicle. My bus was free but still taxed at $500, and still a bargain for what you're getting...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #1451

I'm getting ready to purchase a cargo trailer for conversion into a camper/tiny home, does anyone know if Vermont would do the same process for a trailer? Or does anyone have any tips on registering a cargo trailer as a camper trailer? Obviously I can't register just a trailer as an RV, but as a camper trailer? Or does anyone know if it even matters if I change the registration? Thanks!
KyleB530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #1452
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466e Diesel
Still waiting on our registration and plates.
I think they received my forms on the 18th of May. The check finally cleared on 6 June. Hopefully I will see my plates and registration soon.
FrugalFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #1453
Mini-Skoolie

Got our plates and registration sticker TODAY!

FYI, on the outside of the envelope it does say it's supposed to be inspected within 15 days of registering. We may just transfer it to TX next year when the registration is about to expire as by then it WILL be a motor home according to TX and that's where we intend to retain our residency.

Question: should we get some other piece of paper? An actual registration?
Old 06-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #1454
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

You don't need to pay the sales tax to VT. If the VT tax is more than NYS, you need to calculate the difference and send them that amount.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #1455
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWicster View Post
Hey all, first post! Just sent the reg in two days ago and crossing my fingers. Question - if I already paid tax to NYS on the purchase of my bus and I have attached the receipt of purchase and bill of sale, do I still need to attach the 6% VT tax?

Thanks!
see my reply up above
Old 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #1456
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
Got our plates and registration sticker TODAY!

FYI, on the outside of the envelope it does say it's supposed to be inspected within 15 days of registering. We may just transfer it to TX next year when the registration is about to expire as by then it WILL be a motor home according to TX and that's where we intend to retain our residency.

Question: should we get some other piece of paper? An actual registration?
The plates come in one envelope and the transferable registration and sticker come in a separate one -- or at least that's how mine came...

The Murder Bus
Old 06-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #1457
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
The plates come in one envelope and the transferable registration and sticker come in a separate one -- or at least that's how mine came...
Oh, that is the registration card. smallest one I have ever seen! Thank you.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #1458
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
Oh, that is the registration card. smallest one I have ever seen! Thank you.
Right? Not the most durable piece of paper for a "transferable document".

I made a photo copy to carry in the bus and leave the original at home.

The Murder Bus
Old 06-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #1459

Year: 1996
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102-DL3
Engine: Detroit 60, 400 hp, 12.7 L
Rated Cap: 48000
Coach registration

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Thank you for all the useful information. I wanted to introduce myself to the community since I am new here. Although I have been reading about your conversions and have been RVing for a while, I just recently purchased a coach for conversion.

I wanted to know your thoughts on whether the Vermont route to tittle as a motorhome would work for a coach as well? Also, the Vermont application suggests I might need a VIN verification because of the current out of state tittle. Or am I reading this part wrong?

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 7.49.10 AM.png  
edenilsonq@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #1460
Bus Geek

How could a coach be treated any differently from a schoolbus?

AFAIK the Vermont process can be used for any type of vehicle.

Get too outlandish then a subsequent state may decline MH status.

But of course coaches are converted to them all the time.