Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 05:30 PM   #1761
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, putting it on isn’t any big deal. Wasn’t sure if not having the front plate would avoid any extra eyes seeing it in our home state that would want it registered here. I drove it home 3k miles without a plate and didn’t have any trouble. Nobody pays a bus any attention, so I doubt it would be an issue. Probably have to be pulled over in it at least twice in KY to even have them make me register it here. By then I would be done converting it, and would be able to comply if they made me.

n240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #1762
Bus Geek

Yes the law of the rego state applies wherever you go, technically.

Driving through states that don't require it probably get away with it

but in those that do, you might attract unwanted attention.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #1763
Mini-Skoolie

In New Mexico, our current bus title was easy to convert to RV, as a quick inspection of living quarters is all that's needed to change the title immediately to RV.

However, I'm going to try the process with this old Dodge bus. I don't have any paperwork for her.

DesertClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #1764
Mini-Skoolie

In New Mexico it was easy for our current bus, as a quick inspection of the living quarters was all that was needed to convert the title to RV.

However I'm going to try the process with an old Dodge bus- I don't have any paperwork for her.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #1765
Mini-Skoolie

In New Mexico it was easy to change our current bus, as a quick inspection of the living quarters was all that was needed to convert the title to RV.

However I'm going to try the process with an old Dodge bus- I don't have any paperwork for her.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #1766
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3L
2-26-21 Received today. Will update again when I get the stickers!
Lasagna Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #1767
Mini-Skoolie

Congrats... mine was verbally approved on the 11th, money order was cashed on the 22, I was told on the 11th they would arrive within 2 weeks. I figure with the weather and the Covid issues,it's taking a little longer. I'm just gonna stay patient and wait on em.
RockynBeefy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #1768
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, will an admin please delete all but the last of those posts I made? When posting, they weren't showing up properly. Didn't realize it was making duplicate posts! Sorry about that!
Old 02-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #1769
Mini-Skoolie

patience paid off. Plates arrived today.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:58 AM   #1770
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: p30 shorty
Engine: chevy 6.0 gas
hi everyone and thanks for all the info i have been reading , i have just 1 question i am from new york my lic is from FL, so on box 1 it say Vermont License # ???what would i put there
Knight163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #1771

Year: 1995
Coachwork: chevy
Chassis: p60 command truck
i have read through a lot of this and just want to make sure i have everything right
the vehicle im doing this to isnt quite a bus but im hoping it will still work
little backstory on the camper im doing a 1995 chevy stepvan that is a retired fire command truck i already have nh plates on it but its titled as a pickup (thank the original fire company for that) because of this i cant get anyone to insure it because they take one look at the vin and say its commercial and wont touch it but my insurance company says they will do it if i get it retitled
i have NH plates on it currently registered as a pickup and had the title updated here in NH still as a pickup so i have a current title and a current registration
so if i take that application and the title up to a vermont dmv i can get them to update it to a motorhome? even though i already registered and titled it in New Hampshire?
nitroraptor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #1772
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight163 View Post
hi everyone and thanks for all the info i have been reading , i have just 1 question i am from new york my lic is from FL, so on box 1 it say Vermont License # ???what would i put there
I live in Cali, licensed in georgia. I left that box blank and had no issues. They did put a number in that box for me but I have no clue what that number is... It most certainly is not my DL number.
Lasagna Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #1773
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroraptor2 View Post
so if i take that application and the title up to a vermont dmv i can get them to update it to a motorhome? even though i already registered and titled it in New Hampshire?
Yes, but this only works if you never go to or even through VT, so no inspection required.

Rego process is by mail.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:15 AM   #1774
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: p30 shorty
Engine: chevy 6.0 gas
Thank you for your quick responses
Knight163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mchprssr View Post
i just got off the phone with lisa riff of florida allstate insurance. Her mother is kelly newsome who does all the skoolie insurance.

You will not beable to get vt insurance unless you live there. You have to get it in your home state. Kelly has hand picked an agent in each state to handle all types of skoolie insurance. Their number is 352-326-9300 and tell them (BEN) 2 much pressure sent ya

the vermont end around is simply a easy way to get the motorhome tag without actually finishing your conversion, nothing more.

Now if you pay for the 2 year tag as i did, at the end of that tag you will need to transfer the registration to your home state (per ms.riff) so that maybe why you havent herd back about a renewal.

So I followed this method and live in Michigan. I paid for 1 year of registration. My conversion is done and I am looking for insurance. Will I have to transfer my registration to Michigan now?
Narz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #1776
Mini-Skoolie

Transfer it in a year when the plates expire. Insurance in ur home state,and vt tags is completely normal.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:27 AM   #1777
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narz View Post
So I followed this method and live in Michigan. I paid for 1 year of registration. My conversion is done and I am looking for insurance. Will I have to transfer my registration to Michigan now?
There is no "have to", up to you!

But if Michigan enforces a reg that vehicles kept in state past X months must register locally

then you may want to let that guide your actions
Old 03-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #1778

Still works like a charm

I read your post and followed you instruction and my new Vermont plates arrived today. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. Now on to getting the insurance.

1995 ThomasBuild Westcoaster soon(some day) to be our RV!
warrens435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #1779
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OK, google says these states have no property tax on vehicles

Alabama, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, North Dakota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin
It's a glorious thing. I spend my time between Texas and New Mexico, mostly.

A fine example of the no-taxes paid for yearly registration on a high-value vehicle- is our Telsa, for which we paid $49.90 for a 2 year registration! (New Mexico)

As far as motorhome registration in NM goes, it's higher than a passenger car because they go by weight, not a set value, nor the value of the vehicle.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #1780

"plates"

just wanted to say how relieved i was to find this method-- literally saved my bus's life! many thanks to the OP!

just a quick question though.. i received my green plate in the mail a couple of weeks ago-still waiting on the tags-- but i'm wondering... it seems like most everyone on here says they received their "plates", which makes me think 2, while i was sent only 1.

should i have gotten 2 plates instead of just the one that was sent to me?

thanks for any help!
crashpad616 is offline   Reply With Quote