Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #1961
Bus Geek

The OP has kept the #1 post updated with pretty much all you need.

It is just extraneous assumptions causing your anxiety

there is no mention of inspections nor insurance

because those are not relevant issues to this specific process.

And if you just ask a question, it gets answered

there is absolutely no need no expectation that anyone should read this whole thread

unless they are the type of completing OCD weirdo that would enjoy doing so just for fun [emoji38]

Going to social media trying to get authoritative info, now **that** would make me super anxious!

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #1962
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
I'm trying to navigate through this thread but 12 pages of posts is too much.

Do I have to paint the bus and take the special school bus lights and stop sign off BEFORE I register it in Vermont?

And when does VT require insurance? Before or after getting tags?
Yeah, this thread is a wee bit long. People started posting updates to their own progress with it ("just got my tags" etc.) which is unnecessary, although it was long before that, too.

To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to do anything to your bus before registering it in Vermont. The Vermont DMV does not ask about your insurance or require it.

Depending on your state, you may have to repaint the bus, remove or deactivate the flashers, and remove the stop sign, or risk running afoul of your state laws (Maryland, for example, can ticket you for having a non-school-bus vehicle painted school bus yellow) but this has nothing to do with the Vermont registration.

This thread was given a special dispensation on the site to keep the very first post edited and up-to-date, so technically you only need to look at the first post. However, even the first post is not strictly accurate, since the examples have stuff filled in for the "Trucks" section between sections 5 and 6. This section should be left empty, as your vehicle is not going to be a truck any more - it's going to become a motorhome.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #1963
Bus Geek

Yikes, just realized my own build thread is even longer than this one!
Old 06-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #1964
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeah, this thread is a wee bit long. People started posting updates to their own progress with it ("just got my tags" etc.) which is unnecessary, although it was long before that, too.
Definitely guilty of this myself and I see the error of my ways
In an effort to make up for it I'll repost this link to gymkhana JOSH's how-to video
Page 1 instructions along with JOSH's video got me plates and tags in 6 weeks.
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:49 PM   #1965
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
One question I must ask is what to do if the bus in question is right on the 15 year mark. Marked as a 2006, do I get the transferable registration or a straight title?
Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #1966
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
Definitely guilty of this myself and I see the error of my ways
In an effort to make up for it I'll repost this link to gymkhana JOSH's how-to video
Page 1 instructions along with JOSH's video got me plates and tags in 6 weeks.

Where can I find the video? I don’t see it on the app.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:34 AM   #1967
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
Where can I find the video? I don’t see it on the app.
YouTube search:
E38: Vermont Registration // Skoolie, Motorhome, and more registered in Vermont

That is the name of the video - YouTube user name is gymkhana JOSH

If you use the Skoolie.net search feature and look for VT registration YouTube - I think that will get you there also
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #1968
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying I 365 View Post
One question I must ask is what to do if the bus in question is right on the 15 year mark. Marked as a 2006, do I get the transferable registration or a straight title?
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/how-to-immediately-register-your-bus-as-an-rv-without-conversion-15292-post442834.html
Old 06-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #1969
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying I 365 View Post
Vermont titles vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) that are 15 years old or newer based on the calendar year. For example: from January 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, Vermont will title vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) with the model year 2007 or newer.​

https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #1970

I searched through this thread and wasn't able to find something for my issue, if y'all don't mind the assist:

Just picked up our bus a couple weeks ago and have the clean title and extensive bill of sale but the guy we got the title from never signed and transferred the title over into his name from the previous owner when he got the bus a month prior (my guess to avoid paying tax, he's a salvage/reseller). If we send in a copy of the title and bill of sale over to VT is this going to cause issue since the title isn't in our name but we have possession of it and bill of sale from the person the title was signed over to? TX title if that is pertinent info. Thanks in advance, a bit lost in all this.

TL;DR owner 1 signed title to owner 2, owner 2 had signed title but never transferred to his name (but partially filled out the title for some reason?), we bought bus from owner 2 with title in hand along with bill of sale and TX vehicle transfer form. Would we have issues with getting VT rv registration?
landrysims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #1971
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrysims View Post
I searched through this thread and wasn't able to find something for my issue, if y'all don't mind the assist:

Just picked up our bus a couple weeks ago and have the clean title and extensive bill of sale but the guy we got the title from never signed and transferred the title over into his name from the previous owner when he got the bus a month prior (my guess to avoid paying tax, he's a salvage/reseller). If we send in a copy of the title and bill of sale over to VT is this going to cause issue since the title isn't in our name but we have possession of it and bill of sale from the person the title was signed over to? TX title if that is pertinent info. Thanks in advance, a bit lost in all this.

TL;DR owner 1 signed title to owner 2, owner 2 had signed title but never transferred to his name (but partially filled out the title for some reason?), we bought bus from owner 2 with title in hand along with bill of sale and TX vehicle transfer form. Would we have issues with getting VT rv registration?
I suggest you go to the source and ask the VT DMV directly at DMV.InformationUnit@vermont.gov.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
I suggest you go to the source and ask the VT DMV directly at DMV.InformationUnit@vermont.gov.
Shoot, so simple I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it XD

Thanks for the info, my brain is a bit overloaded with so many things to do to get going on the build so I appreciate the response!
landrysims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #1973
Bus Nut

Quote:
Shoot, so simple I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it XD

Thanks for the info, my brain is a bit overloaded with so many things to do to get going on the build so I appreciate the response!
Been there, done that, no worries.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #1974

Year: 2009
Chassis: BL/BI
Engine: Gas 8 Cyl
I did just 1 single check with the total and it went through.
chrisesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #1975
Bus Geek

Quote:
Shoot, so simple
Please let us know their answer, what you end up doing and the outcome
Old 07-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #1976
Mini-Skoolie

Double post accident
Oascom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #1977
Mini-Skoolie

Body YY

Got my plates 3 weeks ago and received registration and sticker today.

On the application iv selected 19 motorhome and on the copy they sent back they also crossed body type "bus" to MH.

On the registration i received today it says BODY: YY

What does YY mean?

Also title says Issued meaning i should receive Vermont title back soon if I'm correct?

I plan on calling them but last time i did took me 45min on the phone and noone picked up the phone :/

Thanks guys
Old 07-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #1978
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oascom View Post
Got my plates 3 weeks ago and received registration and sticker today.

On the application iv selected 19 motorhome and on the copy they sent back they also crossed body type "bus" to MH.

On the registration i received today it says BODY: YY

What does YY mean?

Also title says Issued meaning i should receive Vermont title back soon if I'm correct?

I plan on calling them but last time i did took me 45min on the phone and noone picked up the phone :/

Thanks guys
YY sounds like a typo. Should say "MH". You should call and get that changed - the "MH" is the only thing that indicates to your own state's DMV that the vehicle is a motorhome. Or if you're a Rush fan just add a Z on the end of it.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #1979
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
YY sounds like a typo. Should say "MH". You should call and get that changed - the "MH" is the only thing that indicates to your own state's DMV that the vehicle is a motorhome. Or if you're a Rush fan just add a Z on the end of it.
Hehe, well I'll try to call them on Monday.

I couldn't find anything on the web what's the YY is.

I'll quote a guy who received registration with YY too hopefully he will see it and maybe he have some answers
Old 07-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #1980
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrians View Post
Just got my Vermont title and under body type it is listed as “yy” I stead of “mh” as what I applied for. I couldn’t find any information on what a YY is classified as and was wondering if this was an error?
Any news on that ? I know it's been a while but maybe you have some answers as to what YY means.

I have received my registration with YY body type and wondering what to do.