Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I'm away from home right now, I figure mine are waiting for me at the post office. Will let you know when I get back.

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Well... it's been nearly a month and I STILL haven't gotten my tag..... nor have I gotten any correspondence from VT saying I owed additional money..... I paid with a USPS money order so I don't even have any way to check if it was cashed or not.

My temporary tag expired on 11/19 so I can't even drive my bus anymore....

I'm starting to think I just threw $180 out the window.......

EDIT: Just got off the phone with VT DMV.... it turns out that the submission was returned because I did not send the original title. It was mailed back Oct 31 so I certainly should have had it back by now..... so I guess I'll just have to start the whole process over again because the representative said I had everything right except for not sending the original title. I don't mind admitting that mailing the original title makes me a little nervous.... that will definitely go certified return receipt, if I don't just pull the plug altogether and register it in TN after all.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Well... it's been nearly a month and I STILL haven't gotten my tag..... nor have I gotten any correspondence from VT saying I owed additional money..... I paid with a USPS money order so I don't even have any way to check if it was cashed or not.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. You can call the Montpelier VT location and see if they know what's going on. They officially quote 3-6 week turnaround, I think, so hang in there. It took me almost a month on the last motorcycle and 2 weeks on the bus recently.

Keep us updated,
Tom
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
It's right there in the instructions..... new registrations are supposed to include that. I guess I could have misinterpreted it and that's only for registering a NEW vehicle from a dealer.... but all the same it's only 6 bucks, not like I'm really gonna miss it.
Lol imagine if they're holding it up because you overpaid =o
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:

Yes you can.......https://mois.usps.com/pls/pmoisnp/mo...ernal_pkg.main

if you still have the copy of it.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
How do vehicle inspections factor into this? Can you inspect the vehicle in your home state? As far as I know both Vermont and my home state (NC) require vehicle inspections. How do you get the inspection sticker for your tag?
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #47
Bus Nut

My understanding was that since I'm doing a non-resident out of state registration that inspection would not apply. They didn't say anything about that when I talked to them on the phone today.

And other states I've been in that required inspections, the "inspection" was just checking that the VIN matched on the vehicle and the paperwork.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt 466e
Just to be clear in not talking about the inspection to reregister as an RV but yearly vehicle safety inspections.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Not sure if your state has the actual sticker.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Just to be clear in not talking about the inspection to reregister as an RV but yearly vehicle safety inspections.
In Texas, you have to have the yearly safety inspection done in-state. The state no longer issues inspection stickers, so if you were out-of-state for an extended period, it really wouldn't matter. We live in Montana for about half the year and just get it done when we're back in Texas. I was pulled over once in Montana with expired inspection, but since there was no sticker, the Montana police officer did not say anything about it...

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #50
Bus Nut

I've never lived in a state that required safety inspections. If I do end up living in a state that does at some time in the future that's when I'll worry about that.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:

EDIT: Just got off the phone with VT DMV.... it turns out that the submission was returned because I did not send the original title. It was mailed back Oct 31 so I certainly should have had it back by now..... so I guess I'll just have to start the whole process over again because the representative said I had everything right except for not sending the original title. I don't mind admitting that mailing the original title makes me a little nervous.... that will definitely go certified return receipt, if I don't just pull the plug altogether and register it in TN after all.

This must be because your vehicle is under 15 yrs. Sorry to hear about this Alleycat. Let us know how it goes. I was sure the instructions said a photocopy would be sufficient -- perhaps you got a bad rep?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
This must be because your vehicle is under 15 yrs.
That's what I'm thinking...... if they're actually gonna issue a new title I can see them wanting the old one in exchange.

Will probably try again one day this week, this time mailing the original title (and gonna mail it certified return receipt so I can track it until arrival)... will keep you posted.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
stupid question

Will I need proof of insurance (which I don't have) in order to get it registered in VT?
also, they're asking (on the form) for visual verification of the VIN....so I'm assuming that I take a picture of it? oh wait, it says if the vehicle will be titled....I already have the Title in hand......
any help will be GREATLY appreciated...I'm not the brightest on this subject
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #54
Bus Nut

I have to resubmit mine because I did not send the original title the first time.... when I spoke to them on the phone about it I specifically asked if I had done everything correctly otherwise and was told I had.... I did not send proof of insurance, just the VD-119 form, a copy of the title, proof of tax paid, and a money order to cover the fees.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
thank you! Will hopefully I'll get mine into the mail today
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

So if the bus is 15-25 years old, you don't send original title in? And you keep the title in your home state? How does this work after the first year when you go to register in your home state (in my case KY)? Hand them the VT registration and KY title?
bamudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Or can I legally transfer the vehicle into my name only through registration without getting a new title in my name? I'm really confused how this works if they only register it without titling it.
bamudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #58
Bus Nut

From what I understand it's a transferrable registration, which works the same as a title for titling in another state. My bus is only 12 years old so I have to send the original title for mine and I will get a new title back. The OP or others who have gone through the process with 15-25 year old buses will have more insight into that side of it.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #59

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 72pas 29k GVW
questions for OP

I have a few questions for the OP. I live in NY as well and plan on going this route. I have a few questions for you though.

What did you do for insurance? What do you do for inspections? And lastly I plan to convert the back half of mine to a flatbed to haul my Jeep. Would an RV still be the way to go, or should I register it as a flat bed for personal use?

BTW my bus is a 40 footer with air brakes. GVW is 29k pounds. I do have a CDL B with no restrictions though.
n.page.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #60
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
so im on i think week 4 or 5 including holiday week and i havent seen my check cashed or anything. do i call or do i keep my fingers crossed for the next week ot two more?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote