Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #381
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirewall View Post
I don't think you need insurance to register it. Where are you getting this info? Is it perhaps different in your state?
Here in FL you have to have ins before they'll even give you a number to wait at the tag office.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #382
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Here in FL you have to have ins before they'll even give you a number to wait at the tag office.
It varies by state.

In Oklahoma you can "Black Tag" a vehicle without insurance. When you want it on the road you simply take in your insurance an switch tags.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #383
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
VT does not require insurance to register.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #384
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Didn't need insurance to register in MT, either.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #385

Many thanks to warewolff and everyone's contribution for this great thread.

I just auctioned my bus last week and plan to use the VT method for my registration.

The application package, as stated in the first thread, should include:
1, ORIGINAL title
2, bill of sale
3, completed application
4, registration fee ($76 or $140)
5, title fee ($35 for buses 15 yrs newer)
6, 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid)
7, handwritten note itemizing your costs

My question is: what is the "handwritten note itemizing your costs" ? Is it a list of modification with cost $ I did to the bus ?
Is it some thing like this? :
"
Inverter purchase and installation: $ 300
Water heater purchase and installed: $ 600
Bath and toilet purchase and installed: $ 1,200
"

Thanks
Joew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #386
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
VT does not require insurance to register.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Beg to differ with you both, insurance is required to register a vehicle in Vt. and Mt., as well as most if not every state in the union.

"To apply for a Vermont car registration certificate, visit your local DMV office with:
A signature on the application certifying you have car insurance. It must meet the state's minimum coverage levels:
$25,000 for injury to one person.
$50,000 for injury to two or more.
$10,000 for damages to property.
A completed Registration/Tax/Title Application (Form VD-119).
A current odometer reading.
The car's title.
If the title is being held by a lienholder, you must appear at a full-time Vermont DMV location (it can't be a mobile office) with the name and address of the lien company and the vehicle's current out-of-state registration certificate.
Proof of the amount of tax paid on the vehicle (e.g. a vehicle title showing paid tax, or the last 3 years worth of vehicle registration certificates).
You're exempt if you have owned the vehicle for 3 years or more.
Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification. This can be completed by a designated DMV agent or by a VT law enforcement officer.
Payment for all Vermont car registration fees (see Vermont Vehicle Registration Fees below)."
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #387
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Washington does not require insurance to register or title a vehicle.

In fact, Washington does not strictly require liability insurance. You have to be able to demonstrate "financial responsibility" in order to operate legally on public roadways. Liability insurance is on of three or four acceptable methods.

For most of us carrying liability insurance is the most practical.

That said, Washington State wants your money. They will take your $ for sales tax, title and registration fees quite happily even if you don't have any form of insurance or other acceptable form of financial responsibility. You simply are not allowed to drive it on public roadways.

Heck, in Washington, if you have $45 in your pocket you can get a drivers license and register to vote even if you are in the country illegally.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #388
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Washington does not require insurance to register or title a vehicle.

In fact, Washington does not strictly require liability insurance. You have to be able to demonstrate "financial responsibility" in order to operate legally on public roadways. Liability insurance is on of three or four acceptable methods.

For most of us carrying liability insurance is the most practical.

That said, Washington State wants your money. They will take your $ for sales tax, title and registration fees quite happily even if you don't have any form of insurance or other acceptable form of financial responsibility. You simply are not allowed to drive it on public roadways.

Heck, in Washington, if you have $45 in your pocket you can get a drivers license and register to vote even if you are in the country illegally.
Yes and no. You are not required to show proof to register, but the vehicle must be insured to operate on the road.

"You are not required to show your insurance card when you register the vehicle, but auto insurance is mandatory in Washington. If you are pulled over by the police and do not have insurance, you will be fined."

Here in Ga., if your insurance lapses the insurance company notifies the state and the state will pull your registration and possibly your drivers license. When you get pulled over here now, they don't even ask for proof of insurance because they already know because it's all linked on their computer.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #389
Bus Geek

Oklahoma does not require insurance to register a vehicle.

We have a "Black Tag" system for vehicles not intended for immediate road use.

You can then change it later to a regular tag with proof of insurance.

Build Thread
Old 02-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #390
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Yes and no. You are not required to show proof to register, but the vehicle must be insured to operate on the road.

"You are not required to show your insurance card when you register the vehicle, but auto insurance is mandatory in Washington. If you are pulled over by the police and do not have insurance, you will be fined."

Here in Ga., if your insurance lapses the insurance company notifies the state and the state will pull your registration and possibly your drivers license. When you get pulled over here now, they don't even ask for proof of insurance because they already know because it's all linked on their computer.
Yes. That is the part where I said that you can register with no insurance. You simply are not allowed to drive it on public roadways without meeting the financial responsibility requirements.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #391
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Just chiming in to say you do not need insurance to register your vehicle in Vermont. I didn't mail in any insurance info and neither did the dozens of people who have registered their vehicles in Vermont. I would have included it in the instructions if that were the case. By all accounts they don't ask for it in person either. In fact, I just registered for the second year in a row. I haven't moved my bus yet and have never had it insured. No once. I haven't been asked for proof of insurance either. I wouldn't recommend driving it without insurance but they'll register it for you just fine without it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #392
Mini-Skoolie

Got my plates today. Took almost 3 weeks, but there was a holiday in there. Hopefully the registration shows up in a few days.
phirewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #393
Mini-Skoolie

My bus came with CA plates already, but does anyone know if I can avoid dealing with the California DMV and smog check requirements by using the Vermont plates? Or are the Vermont plates useless and I just needed the registration?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #394
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by phirewall View Post
My bus came with CA plates already, but does anyone know if I can avoid dealing with the California DMV and smog check requirements by using the Vermont plates? Or are the Vermont plates useless and I just needed the registration?
It's been several years since I dealt with California DMV. Things may have changed but I doubt it.

California wants your $. If you reside in California you have a short time in which they want you to register in California. I moved to California and did not change my registration promptly. I got pulled over on my way home from work. Cop told me that he had observed me numerous times over the last several weeks driving the same route and asked where I lived. I was honest with him. He then told me that if he saw me again with out of state plates he would ticket me.

I think that if you are traveling outside of California with Vermont plates that it would not be a problem.

Also, if you have parking where the license plate cannot be seen from the street and do not repeat my practice of driving the same route at the same time every day that you may get away with it.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #395
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It's been several years since I dealt with California DMV. Things may have changed but I doubt it.

California wants your $. If you reside in California you have a short time in which they want you to register in California. I moved to California and did not change my registration promptly. I got pulled over on my way home from work. Cop told me that he had observed me numerous times over the last several weeks driving the same route and asked where I lived. I was honest with him. He then told me that if he saw me again with out of state plates he would ticket me.

I think that if you are traveling outside of California with Vermont plates that it would not be a problem.

Also, if you have parking where the license plate cannot be seen from the street and do not repeat my practice of driving the same route at the same time every day that you may get away with it.

Just my $0.02
Thanks. I am going to be in the wind, not staying anywhere too long so maybe I'll roll the dice.. I do wonder though if they'll find me out since I bought the bus from a dealer in California and I think they reported the sale to the DMV.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #396

Talking It Works

We followed the process as you described, and the tags came within three weeks. My girlfriend now has her 2001 Collins short bus tagged as an RV in Vermont. Plans for life on the road are coming to fruition.

Thank you,

A Wandering Muse
a_wandering_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #397
Mini-Skoolie

ok have a dumb questions, I am in Idaho and went into my dmv and they required me to title the bus, and then retitle after the RV inspection is complete. well I just found this thread and was wondering if it will be a problem if I have title in my name. Do I need to still pay sales tax ect. I guess my question is do I go about this the same way since I am on the title?
shilohsbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #398
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilohsbus View Post
ok have a dumb questions, I am in Idaho and went into my dmv and they required me to title the bus, and then retitle after the RV inspection is complete. well I just found this thread and was wondering if it will be a problem if I have title in my name. Do I need to still pay sales tax ect. I guess my question is do I go about this the same way since I am on the title?
Sales tax is only paid on a transfer of ownership.

Build Thread
Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #399

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread with helpful info. I sent my registration application to VT this morning, I'll post when it comes in.
Hookhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #400
Mini-Skoolie

I talked to our inspector in Idaho and the process isn't that hard and only costs $5 so I will jimmy rig some things together and get it inspected, then really start conversion.
shilohsbus is offline   Reply With Quote