Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #461

ALSO...
Although the VT registration form requires VIN verification if previously titled in another state...
Reading through the VT VIN Verification form, it states:
1. All used vehicles with out of state titles being registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below, unless purchased directly from a licensed dealer.

So since I bought from someone who holds dealer license in MS then I am covered? Seller seems to think i dont need it.

yogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #462
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Has anyone in Washington State had a vin verification done?

Who did it for you?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #463
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogerst View Post
ALSO...
1. All used vehicles with out of state titles being registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below, unless purchased directly from a licensed dealer.

So since I bought from someone who holds dealer license in MS then I am covered? Seller seems to think i dont need it.
Nice catch! That might explain the inconsistencies... Although I'm not sure how a clerk at the Vermont DMV would be able to tell whether someone in another state has a dealer license or not...
cromulence police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #464
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromulence police View Post
I guess I got unlucky. VIN verification for out-of-state titles does seem to be their official policy, based on the paperwork, so I wouldn't advise anybody to count on not having to do it, but it does seem like they make some exceptions.
Out of state TITLE. For a transferable registration, which is what you get when you register a vehicle over 25yrs old, still don't need a VIN verification. Thats where the confusion here is.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #465
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogerst View Post
newb from WI here...
I dont have a CDL. Thus why i am asking if i need all my docs back from VT changing title to an RV before being able to drive it.
My recollection is that if the bus has air brakes, most (or all?) states require you to have a CDL unless it's titled as a motorhome. So unless it's got hydraulic brakes, you would be taking a risk by driving it without first going through the Vermont process.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #466
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
My recollection is that if the bus has air brakes, most (or all?) states require you to have a CDL unless it's titled as a motorhome. So unless it's got hydraulic brakes, you would be taking a risk by driving it without first going through the Vermont process.
this is incorrect. A state may require a non commercial class B due to weight, but not a cdl and not because of the brakes
Old 05-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #467
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I think what most states require for airbrakes is to have a non commercial Class B air brake endorsement on your current license, not a CDL
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #468
Mini-Skoolie

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I think this is the thread where I got that idea from: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/cdl-8309-2.html It's the #1 google result for "skoolie cdl". There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue. Maybe there ought to be a pinned thread?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #469
Bus Nut

Quote:
I see, thanks for clearing that up. I think this is the thread where I got that idea from: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/cdl-8309-2.html It's the #1 google result for "skoolie cdl". There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue. Maybe there ought to be a pinned thread?
The first post on page you linked is a guy quoting someone and stating you do not need a cdl just because of air brakes. He even used capital letters

Regardless, this isn't the thread the discuss that so I won't continue, but use the search feature and you'll find better info
Old 05-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #470

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer6853 View Post
I'm sending my paperwork in today via first class registered mail with the tracking. I live in CA so all you California skoolies will know if it works for us. Fingers crossed. I will update as soon as i know more.
Just got my plates in the mail today thank you to Warewolf for this thread.
Thewanderer6853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #471

Quote:
Nice catch! That might explain the inconsistencies... Although I'm not sure how a clerk at the Vermont DMV would be able to tell whether someone in another state has a dealer license or not...
On the title i received (from LA) it has a section on the back were the dealer puts their license information (as they just transfer title to new owner instead of taking title themselves first).
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #472

Quote:
From what i have researched a CDL doesnt have much to do with air brakes. Most of the time it is weight based. (>26000 lbs) If I remember right there was 8 states that required a CDL for an RV/MH if over that 26k lbs. Although for WI (non-commercial) it wasnt weight based, it was length (anything over 45ft long).

As long as i can get it titled as RV, then no CDL here. If stuck titled under a school bus yet, then i would need a CDL with a special endorsement as it could be still used as a bus.

So... Im making a copy of my title (to bring w me), mailing off original to VT, and going to pick up bus tomorrow. Since I wont be speeding I should make it back without drawing unneeded attention. lol
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #473

So tomorrow I'll carry out my plan. I called my home states DMV (NJ) and after being on hold for 20 minutes, I told the lady I wanted to know what I needed to title my bus as a motorhome. She said an ID, the title, and proof of insurance. I rephrased the question. Same response. Ok. Well looks like I'll take a stop on Trenton to give them a shot, and if that doesn't work looks like I'm off to Vermont!!!
TimeTravelerGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #474
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
The first post on page you linked is a guy quoting someone and stating you do not need a cdl just because of air brakes. He even used capital letters

Regardless, this isn't the thread the discuss that so I won't continue, but use the search feature and you'll find better info
Yes, that particular post on the second page does say that. Many other posts throughout that thread say differently, particularly on the first page.

I'm not trying to disagree with you at all. I think your answer makes sense and my gut says you're probably right. I'm just observing that there seems to be a surprising amount of confusion on here about this extremely common issue. It seems like a situation where a pinned thread might be helpful to a lot of people.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #475
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yes, that particular post on the second page does say that. Many other posts throughout that thread say differently, particularly on the first page.

I'm not trying to disagree with you at all. I think your answer makes sense and my gut says you're probably right. I'm just observing that there seems to be a surprising amount of confusion on here about this extremely common issue. It seems like a situation where a pinned thread might be helpful to a lot of people.
The only way to know for sure if read the laws for your state. A lot of people get different answers from different people at the dmv, sometimes due to the staff not being properly trained and completely aware of the exact laws regarding the bus.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:38 PM   #476
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Congrats! Wife just received hers two days ago. For anyone reading this, turn around is about 4 weeks right now from door to door. She did NOT need a vin verification on the transferable registration.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #477
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Congrats! Wife just received hers two days ago. For anyone reading this, turn around is about 4 weeks right now from door to door. She did NOT need a vin verification on the transferable registration.
tomorrow makes the end of business week number 3, and I still haven't had the check cashed and pulled from my account. Should I call them tomorrow?
Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #478

Success!
So I went bright and early to New Jerseys main DMV office. Received the usual blank stares and got nowhere. For the record, there is no way to convert a bus to a motorhome in person, only by mailing the special titles unit. I could have expected that, but I don't have that kind of time.

Made the pilgrimage up to Vermont to find the nearest DMV. After a decent wait, I was able to see a clerk; showed him my 1980 title (signed), bill of sale, and license. (NJ) That's it. Filled out the paperwork in the original post, made sure to write out MOTORHOME in the body type box and was handed plates and a temp registration. No VIN verification needed (fortunately) The transferable registration is to come in the mail. But otherwise once I get insurance I'm set to bring the bus home! I'll post back once I get my actual transferable registration.
TimeTravelerGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #479
Bus Nut

Update - DMV cashed my check on the 6th, so about 3.5 business weeks. Now I'm just waiting for everything to show up in the mail!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #480
Bus Nut

!Something showed up in the mail yesterday! No vin verification needed, sent in the copy of my original title as well.

I think they ended up registering it as a bus though because on the form they circled motorhome but also circled cars so I'm not sure how they are doing it. Doesn't look like you need to fill in the weight either since they crossed it out
Attached Thumbnails
20180612_162718.jpg   20180612_162824.jpg