Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #481
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
!Something showed up in the mail yesterday! No vin verification needed, sent in the copy of my original title as well.

I think they ended up registering it as a bus though because on the form they circled motorhome but also circled cars so I'm not sure how they are doing it. Doesn't look like you need to fill in the weight either since they crossed it out
registration sticker came in the mail today. They registered me as a bus, even though i put motorhome. I don't think they are as lenient as they once were with this one

Old 06-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #482
Mini-Skoolie

Thats cool. I am thinking of going that wrought.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #483
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
There have been a handful of reports now with Vermont DMV registering it as a bus even with a personal note detailing exactly how you wanted it registered ... from what I've seen it only takes a quick phone call to DMV and they'll send another corrected registration out with "MH". Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #484
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Attempting this week

Hey all. I know I’m a bit late to the forum but figured I’d try and post to see if anyone replies.
We just got a 99 international Half bus . We travel with 3 dogs(at the moment) and a new (first and only) human baby

Got the bus from ohio, from a man who got it from united pacific railroad in Texas. We are currently doing renovations to it in my parents back yard. Just started the floor.

It currently has temp ohio plates as a “HOME VEHICLE” . I live in Pennsylvania for now,( but we travel most of the year doing disaster relief and rescue work with animal shelters. Also rainbow gatherings and other camping stuff. ).

Pa has crazy requirements i refuse to meet mostly due to funds. So i am trying to get it registered somewhere else so I don’t have to worry about inspection and the sheriff inspection and photos and everything to prove its worthy. It needs some work still so I need to take it somewhere to be serviced before we leave anyways BUT that’s not important right now.

I currently don’t know the weight empty or full,so i was curious if i could skip that part?
If not i can go weigh it but would rather not attempt to til i get the flooring in

Also i bought mine off craigslist. (Risky i know ) so I’m not sure what to do about the 6% and whatnot.

I have the title. It’s a 99 so its older than 15 yrs. ill be doing 2 years so $140 for that.

Also the hand written thing....is it needed? Ive tried going thru all the posts but figured I’d post my own case to see what ya thought.

Thanks in advance.

NomadicAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #485
Bus Nut

Skip the weight. Pay 6% of NADA value or whatever 6% of $1500 is ... I just successfully registered a bus under that amount. As for handwritten, no, but why risk proper registration over what would take you 20 seconds to write a note? Instructions are pretty clear and up to date.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #486
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the quick reply! Ill let ya know how it goes, and post photos soon. My old account seems to be gone.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #487
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Skip the weight. Pay 6% of NADA value or whatever 6% of $1500 is ... I just successfully registered a bus under that amount. As for handwritten, no, but why risk proper registration over what would take you 20 seconds to write a note? Instructions are pretty clear and up to date.

So one last question sorry if I’m bugging ya but my “purchase price” when we transferred the title when i bought it was $200.00. Obviously that’s not what i actually paid, but would i take the 6% of the real price, the price the title was transferred with ($200), or just do the 1500 like you suggested?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #488
Bus Nut

200 is unrealistic. They just want to collect taxes. I'd pay 6% of $1500 to be safe. That's $90 otherwise it might get sent back. Seems like cheap enough insurance.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #489
Mini-Skoolie

Another update

So my title has the purchase price listed as $200, I don’t have a bill of sale other than that since i paid to a private dealer (and technically family)in cash so i cant claim i paid 1500 for it for taxes. I checked for NADA value but of course came up with nothing Soooo I’m not sure what to do on the taxes part.

Other than the purchase price and registration fees I’m still not sure what to put on the list either but ill figure it out. Getting money order tomorrow and planning on mailing everything i can. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #490
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
$200 is not unreasonable if that's what you actually paid. Some get these old things given to them, so there is no "purchase" price. What about when someone pays me to remove the bus from the property?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #491
Bus Geek

Can always say original was a mess, higher price reflect value after repairs.

Doubt they would question a higher amount anyway, but that's your story if they do.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #492
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar DTA360 6cyl Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicAlien View Post
Hey all. I know I’m a bit late to the forum but figured I’d try and post to see if anyone replies.
We just got a 99 international Half bus . We travel with 3 dogs(at the moment) and a new (first and only) human baby

Got the bus from ohio, from a man who got it from united pacific railroad in Texas. We are currently doing renovations to it in my parents back yard. Just started the floor.

It currently has temp ohio plates as a “HOME VEHICLE” . I live in Pennsylvania for now,( but we travel most of the year doing disaster relief and rescue work with animal shelters. Also rainbow gatherings and other camping stuff. ).

Pa has crazy requirements i refuse to meet mostly due to funds. So i am trying to get it registered somewhere else so I don’t have to worry about inspection and the sheriff inspection and photos and everything to prove its worthy. It needs some work still so I need to take it somewhere to be serviced before we leave anyways BUT that’s not important right now.

I currently don’t know the weight empty or full,so i was curious if i could skip that part?
If not i can go weigh it but would rather not attempt to til i get the flooring in

Also i bought mine off craigslist. (Risky i know ) so I’m not sure what to do about the 6% and whatnot.

I have the title. It’s a 99 so its older than 15 yrs. ill be doing 2 years so $140 for that.

Also the hand written thing....is it needed? Ive tried going thru all the posts but figured I’d post my own case to see what ya thought.

Thanks in advance.

The only weight you need to worry about is the GVWR. The actual vehicle weight is irrelevant. In PA I believe you need a CDL to drive anything over 26000. A friend is a DOT officer and he said all he cares about is 26000, not air brakes or anything else. I'm in SC where they have a non-commercial endorsement for over 26000 on a RV and another endorsement for an RV over 26000 and you want to tow something. Luckily I found a 10 window under 26000. There should be a plate in your bus with all the information stamped to it like mine below

I went the VT route too because my bus came from a Navy base and they didn't title them until a couple years ago, just gave them USN numbers. Also SC makes you jump through hoops to change the registration.

I checked today and my check was cashed so I assume it's been processed and the plates are on the way. I'll update as to what the bus is registered as... motor home or bus...

Also, if you can only register it as a bus for whatever reason, commercial bus insurance (liability only) is pretty cheap. I'm in my 40s and it's only $600/year.

PitskyWitbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #493
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
$200 is not unreasonable if that's what you actually paid. Some get these old things given to them, so there is no "purchase" price. What about when someone pays me to remove the bus from the property?
I'm not arguing it's right or wrong, just pointing out it will probably raise eyebrows. When I called DMV and asked about the tax info she suggested $1500. In NY, depending on who you speak to, they'll flat out refuse a $200 receipt for a vehicle that you're not claiming as "not working / for parts" if it's significantly below NADA value.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #494
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitskyWitbulls View Post
The only weight you need to worry about is the GVWR. The actual vehicle weight is irrelevant. In PA I believe you need a CDL to drive anything over 26000. A friend is a DOT officer and he said all he cares about is 26000, not air brakes or anything else. I'm in SC where they have a non-commercial endorsement for over 26000 on a RV and another endorsement for an RV over 26000 and you want to tow something. Luckily I found a 10 window under 26000. There should be a plate in your bus with all the information stamped to it like mine below

I went the VT route too because my bus came from a Navy base and they didn't title them until a couple years ago, just gave them USN numbers. Also SC makes you jump through hoops to change the registration.

I checked today and my check was cashed so I assume it's been processed and the plates are on the way. I'll update as to what the bus is registered as... motor home or bus...

Also, if you can only register it as a bus for whatever reason, commercial bus insurance (liability only) is pretty cheap. I'm in my 40s and it's only $600/year.

I took a photo of mine today.....it doesnt say the weight at all lol. It’s from when it was used as a transport for the Union Pacific railway back in like 2011 til about 2014 or something. There’s some scales near me luckily. I’m mailing in everything without the weight, and talked to the dmv about how to write the purchase price and such. Here’s hoping . I need it legal asap.
Attached Thumbnails
2CD6C35F-41D2-4029-843D-3126C35795BC.jpg   A524CF4B-B190-4FDC-A36E-336AF2250B09.jpg  
Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #495
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm not arguing it's right or wrong, just pointing out it will probably raise eyebrows. When I called DMV and asked about the tax info she suggested $1500. In NY, depending on who you speak to, they'll flat out refuse a $200 receipt for a vehicle that you're not claiming as "not working / for parts" if it's significantly below NADA value.

Yeah i called and they said since there is no nada value to list what it was purchased for, and then take %6 of $500 cuz that’s the lowest they can go.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #496
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicAlien View Post
Yeah i called and they said since there is no nada value to list what it was purchased for, and then take %6 of $500 cuz that’s the lowest they can go.
This rule I understand and the place that warewolff referred to would have to show me that rule before they tell me they would refuse a legitimate BOS.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #497

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 2004 GMC Savana
Engine: 6 liter, 8 cylinder Vortec
Anybody know whether this would work to register as a van?

FIrst post here on this site. Thanks for all the awesome info. I just bought a short schoolbus - yay! I am getting ready to register in Vermont (I live there) and wondered about just registering as a van as opposed to a motorhome?

The vehicle is a 2004 GMC Savanna with a Corbiel bus body. It is not even the extended version of the van - for what that is worth. I am not going to be living in it fulltime and my renovation at least in the short run won't qualify technically as a motorhome in VT based on DMV guidelines.

Anybody have any experience with that? Also pros or cons insurance wise or in other regards? Or is it basically bus or motorhome are our choices?

Thanks, Bill
stcyrwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #498
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcyrwm View Post
FIrst post here on this site. Thanks for all the awesome info. I just bought a short schoolbus - yay! I am getting ready to register in Vermont (I live there) and wondered about just registering as a van as opposed to a motorhome?

The vehicle is a 2004 GMC Savanna with a Corbiel bus body. It is not even the extended version of the van - for what that is worth. I am not going to be living in it fulltime and my renovation at least in the short run won't qualify technically as a motorhome in VT based on DMV guidelines.

Anybody have any experience with that? Also pros or cons insurance wise or in other regards? Or is it basically bus or motorhome are our choices?

Thanks, Bill
What does your title say it is? Talk to your agent about the price differences between the configurations.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #499

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 2004 GMC Savana
Engine: 6 liter, 8 cylinder Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What does your title say it is? Talk to your agent about the price differences between the configurations.
It is registered as a bus now. I spoke to my existing agent at Liberty Mutual and they won't touch it. Just spoke to another agent and we will see what comes of that. Both of them, were at best not helpful - they had never heard of such a thing.

I am beginning to feel like saying less might be better?
stcyrwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #500
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
registration sticker came in the mail today. They registered me as a bus, even though i put motorhome. I don't think they are as lenient as they once were with this one
Congrats on the tags!!

Did you ever try calling to see if they would correct the registration to say MH as suggested by Warewolf?

Quote:
There have been a handful of reports now with Vermont DMV registering it as a bus even with a personal note detailing exactly how you wanted it registered ... from what I've seen it only takes a quick phone call to DMV and they'll send another corrected registration out with "MH". Hope this helps.
Do they give you a title as well as a registration or just the registration?

Just got my bus and trying to figure out the best way forward.

Thanks
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote