Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #561
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 03
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Thanks for reply, steve. Waiting to hear from fellow ny'ers, to get an of reg costs.

Bigdaadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #562
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
So I just found this: Can I use an old school bus as a motor home? | Department of Motor Vehicles

Quote:
CAN I USE AN OLD SCHOOL BUS AS A MOTOR HOME?
In order to convert an old school bus into an RV/Motor Home you must meet the following requirement:

Vermont Law 32 VSA §8902(11) defines a “Motor Home,” it states:

“means a new or used pleasure car designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into the integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van. The vehicle must contain at least four of the following facilities; cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a sink and faucet, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, and/or an LP gas supply.”

If it does not have four of these items the use of the vehicle cannot be changed from a bus/school bus to an RV. Just by taking out a “few seats” and adding “some beds” does not in itself change the purpose of the vehicle. You would still need to install at least four more of the above items. If you fail to do that the vehicle’s purpose would remain a school bus which would require the operator to have the appropriate license and endorsements.

Additionally; the vehicle must be painted a color different than glossy school bus yellow and the eight way light system must be removed.
Anyone go through VT registration recently?
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #563
Bus Geek

This only comes up "when" (if) you ever go for inspection.

Which is only required if you choose to drive in Vermont.

Which is the whole point of the thread, right?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #564
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 DT444E
Rated Cap: 71
I've read this thread from beginning to end a couple times to be safe. I was careful to fill out the application exactly as described by the OP (thank you for being so thorough with your instructions and responses to everyone's questions).

My bus is a '96, so over 15 years old. I sent off a copy of my title(front and back), my application, a money order, a bill of sale, and a hand written letter detailing the brake down of the fees I paid. I opted for one year of registration as I plan to use the Vermont "transferrable registration" to obtain a new title after my year runs it's course.

I sent it all through USPS certified, signature required, and trackable. There was someone who said a few pages back that this might speed things up a bit. It will be delivered Sept 14th! I will update everyone with how long the turnaround is when I find out!
Calibuslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #565
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 DT444E
Rated Cap: 71
This morning I was able to verify that Vermont DMV has cashed my money order yesterday! This means it sat in their office for about 4 business days. We'll see how long it takes the plates and registration to show up now
Calibuslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #566
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
If you read back through the thread, many people are pleasantly surprised by the turnaround. If they cashed your money order, it was probably processed the previous day. Good luck and let us know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibuslife View Post
This morning I was able to verify that Vermont DMV has cashed my money order yesterday! This means it sat in their office for about 4 business days. We'll see how long it takes the plates and registration to show up now
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #567
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5TD
They must be catching up. They had my paperwork and check for almost 1.5 months before my check was cashed. Just got my plates last week though, which is nice.
MadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #568
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaverick View Post
They must be catching up. They had my paperwork and check for almost 1.5 months before my check was cashed. Just got my plates last week though, which is nice.
Just a heads up to everyone, Vermont DMV is running about 4-6 weeks behind right now. The state switched over to a new computer system and because of this there are significant delays. I sent in paperwork for an unrelated vehicle 3 weeks ago and my check still hasn't been cashed. Called up yesterday and they haven't even opened the envelope yet. I'll update again and keep everyone informed as to how backed up it really is but keep this in mind if you sent your paperwork out within the last few weeks.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Just a heads up to everyone, Vermont DMV is running about 4-6 weeks behind right now. The state switched over to a new computer system and because of this there are significant delays. I sent in paperwork for an unrelated vehicle 3 weeks ago and my check still hasn't been cashed. Called up yesterday and they haven't even opened the envelope yet. I'll update again and keep everyone informed as to how backed up it really is but keep this in mind if you sent your paperwork out within the last few weeks.
Any updates on the VT DMV delays?
thommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #570
Bus Nut

Plates came yesterday. Still waiting on registration.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #571

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Plates came yesterday. Still waiting on registration.
Cool. That makes it 3.5 weeks for the plates, right?
thommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #572
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo View Post
Cool. That makes it 3.5 weeks for the plates, right?
Yes, that's about right. Registration is usually only a few days behind but I still havent received anything.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #573
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Question on titling, registering as RV from CA to KS

I am considering the purchase of a former school bus in California. The bus has a GVWR over 35K. The person selling it has the commercial title in their sons name but it is signed over so anyone can fill in the blank. My residence is in Johnson County, Kansas and I do not have a class A or B license.

It appears it would be easier (for me) if the seller would convert the title from commercial to RV in CA than for me to do this in KS. Doing so, might allow me drive it home without having to obtain a Class B license or find someone to drive it (provided there are no weight issues and it is insured). However, I doubt the seller will want to convert the title to RV.

Based on the above information, what would be the best method to be able to legally drive the bus home and have it registered as an RV?
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #574
Bus Nut

The best thing to do is just to fill out the title in your name. Then immediately fill out the VT paperwork and send it in, keeping a copy for yourself. With this paperwork it will say it’s a motor home and you can drive it home on your license.

California requires conversion work to be inspected in order to cante the classification. So the VT registration is the best option.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #575
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
The best thing to do is just to fill out the title in your name. Then immediately fill out the VT paperwork and send it in, keeping a copy for yourself. With this paperwork it will say it’s a motor home and you can drive it home on your license.

California requires conversion work to be inspected in order to cante the classification. So the VT registration is the best option.
Sounds good except that I may have to make two trips to CA? One for financial transaction to get the title and the other to pick up the vehicle whenever the paperwork is processed. Is that correct or is there another method?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #576
Bus Nut

Only one trip is necessary. You don’t need to do anything with the CA DMV. Just get the pink slip/title signed and put your name on it. Use it to register in VT. There’s a little form on the title that ou can send in via snail mail.

Keep a copy of everything. Use your cop if the VT registration as a motor home (following the instructions at the beginning of this thread) and the CA title as your paperwork.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #577
Bus Geek

Quote:
Use your cop if the VT registration as a motor home
Please try again, cannot understand the above.

Are you saying, drive it from CA to Kansas unegistered, what no tags?

And surely getting insurance would be a good idea?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #578
Skoolie

Quote:
Only one trip is necessary. You don’t need to do anything with the CA DMV. Just get the pink slip/title signed and put your name on it. Use it to register in VT. There’s a little form on the title that ou can send in via snail mail.

Keep a copy of everything. Use your cop if the VT registration as a motor home (following the instructions at the beginning of this thread) and the CA title as your paperwork.
Since, the seller is in CA and has the title, they would need to send it to me (snail mail) for me to put my name on it. I doubt they are going to do that without receiving payment first. Nobody in the right mind would ever pay without having the title, bill of sale etc. in hand along with the vehicle.

Perhaps, there is a third party service that could handle the transaction but the seller would still have to be willing to store the vehicle until I receive the VT paperwork and fly out to pick it up.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #579
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
Since, the seller is in CA and has the title, they would need to send it to me (snail mail) for me to put my name on it. I doubt they are going to do that without receiving payment first. Nobody in the right mind would ever pay without having the title, bill of sale etc. in hand along with the vehicle.

Perhaps, there is a third party service that could handle the transaction but the seller would still have to be willing to store the vehicle until I receive the VT paperwork and fly out to pick it up.
The seller can give you the title at the same time as you pick up the bus.

I would get an OTP (trip permit) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr36#top

Get insurance. Check with your insurance agent. Many carriers automatically extend coverage for new purchases. My carrier, here in WA, gives me 14 days.

Drive with title, bill of sale, OTP and insurance card in hand.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #580
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The seller can give you the title at the same time as you pick up the bus.

I would get an OTP (trip permit) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr36#top

Get insurance. Check with your insurance agent. Many carriers automatically extend coverage for new purchases. My carrier, here in WA, gives me 14 days.

Drive with title, bill of sale, OTP and insurance card in hand.
Yes, the seller can sign over the title and provide bill of sale etc. when we arrive to pick up the vehicle. However, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I don't have a class A or B and another poster recommended using Vermont to register the vehicle as an RV. The problem is VT requires the title to be signed which I don't have and is my dilemma.

Also, it sounds like an OTP is required to move in and out of CA, so thanks for the info. Hopefully, I don't need to do that for every state I am passing through to get to KS?

Btw, we started checking into insurance yesterday with our insurance agent and is pending a response. I hear some will not insure Busses, so that could be fun finding one.