Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #581
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
Yes, the seller can sign over the title and provide bill of sale etc. when we arrive to pick up the vehicle. However, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I don't have a class A or B and another poster recommended using Vermont to register the vehicle as an RV. The problem is VT requires the title to be signed which I don't have and is my dilemma.

Also, it sounds like an OTP is required to move in and out of CA, so thanks for the info. Hopefully, I don't need to do that for every state I am passing through to get to KS?

Btw, we started checking into insurance yesterday with our insurance agent and is pending a response. I hear some will not insure Busses, so that could be fun finding one.
I'm with State Farm, they won't insure the bus as a bus. They did however cover me for 7 days when I purchased the bus. I later found that they would insure it, but they wanted $400+ for 6 months. I went to an independent looking for a "Commercial for private use" policy. They hooked me up with Progressive as an RV and included a book/pamphlet on Ga. Motor Home Policy for $171/yr for liability.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #582
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm with State Farm, they won't insure the bus as a bus. They did however cover me for 7 days when I purchased the bus. I later found that they would insure it, but they wanted $400+ for 6 months. I went to an independent looking for a "Commercial for private use" policy. They hooked me up with Progressive as an RV and included a book/pamphlet on Ga. Motor Home Policy for $171/yr for liability.
Thanks for the info. I will check them but based on what I have been reading on this forum, the rates differ if you insure as commercial vs. RV. As things stand now, it may have to be commercial until titled as RV.

I am quickly discovering that the whole process of insurance, licensing and titling for a bus can be a real PITA. Especially, if purchasing out of state.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #583
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will check them but based on what I have been reading on this forum, the rates differ if you insure as commercial vs. RV. As things stand now, it may have to be commercial until titled as RV.

I am quickly discovering that the whole process of insurance, licensing and titling for a bus can be a real PITA. Especially, if purchasing out of state.
I'se seen some have better luck with Progressive if you go through an independent agent and not directly with Progressive.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #584
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Rates and availability of coverage varies by state.

I have State Farm on my bus and pay less than half of what they quoted Marc.

I have had extremely good luck with State Farm insuring three buses over the last 20 years.

I would suggest that you check with a local agent and ask for "commercial for personal use" policy.

I had to send pictures showing that I had removed enough seats to reduce seating capacity below 16.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #585
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Rates and availability of coverage varies by state.

I have State Farm on my bus and pay less than half of what they quoted Marc.

I have had extremely good luck with State Farm insuring three buses over the last 20 years.

I would suggest that you check with a local agent and ask for "commercial for personal use" policy.

I had to send pictures showing that I had removed enough seats to reduce seating capacity below 16.
I will have to look into that. Thanks!

Also, I read through all the posts and several posters indicate that going the Vermont route will get around the CDL requirement? I am not sure of that because the bus I am looking at buying has a GWVR above 26000. I don't see how that is going to work? Can someone clarify this?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #586
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
You are thinking too much on this issue.

With all the California paperwork in hand (title and bill of sale - same document) fill out the VT registration as indicated in the first message on this thread - as a motorhome.

Keep copies of all of the documents. California allows you to operate a vehicle it’s this paperwork if the vehicle is already registered in the state. No operation permit is required. Since the VT registration would be in process, and the forms that you fill out state the vehicle type of motorhome, you can drive it without a CDL.

Just insure it with your preferred provider as a motorhome and you’re all set. Some weeks later you will receive your plates, title and registration from VT and you can take that to your own state DMV and register it locally - or not. You can leave it registered in VT if you want as it is commonplace for motorhomes to be operated out of state anyway.

It’s really a simple process and only one trip is needed - when you go pay for and pick up the bus, thu will give you the title/bill of sale - use that to register in VT. Use the paperwork to register in VT as your paperwork to drive a motorhome.

Quote:
Yes, the seller can sign over the title and provide bill of sale etc. when we arrive to pick up the vehicle. However, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I don't have a class A or B and another poster recommended using Vermont to register the vehicle as an RV. The problem is VT requires the title to be signed which I don't have and is my dilemma.

Also, it sounds like an OTP is required to move in and out of CA, so thanks for the info. Hopefully, I don't need to do that for every state I am passing through to get to KS?

Btw, we started checking into insurance yesterday with our insurance agent and is pending a response. I hear some will not insure Busses, so that could be fun finding one.
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #587
Bus Nut

Quote:
I will have to look into that. Thanks!

Also, I read through all the posts and several posters indicate that going the Vermont route will get around the CDL requirement? I am not sure of that because the bus I am looking at buying has a GWVR above 26000. I don't see how that is going to work? Can someone clarify this?
In California, your Class C (non-commercial) license is good up to 26k lbs EXCEPT in the case of a motorhome, in which case you are limited to 40’ long - in which case you need a non-commercial class B. That’s why it’s important to go the VT registration route. You can get non-commercial insurance and can legally drive it up to 40’.

You will have to check with your own state for their specific rules but I would tend to believe that they would be similar.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #588
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
You are thinking too much on this issue.

With all the California paperwork in hand (title and bill of sale - same document) fill out the VT registration as indicated in the first message on this thread - as a motorhome.

Keep copies of all of the documents. California allows you to operate a vehicle it’s this paperwork if the vehicle is already registered in the state. No operation permit is required. Since the VT registration would be in process, and the forms that you fill out state the vehicle type of motorhome, you can drive it without a CDL.

Just insure it with your preferred provider as a motorhome and you’re all set. Some weeks later you will receive your plates, title and registration from VT and you can take that to your own state DMV and register it locally - or not. You can leave it registered in VT if you want as it is commonplace for motorhomes to be operated out of state anyway.

It’s really a simple process and only one trip is needed - when you go pay for and pick up the bus, thu will give you the title/bill of sale - use that to register in VT. Use the paperwork to register in VT as your paperwork to drive a motorhome.
I don't think I am overthinking the issue because as mentioned in my previous posts, I don't have a copy of the title (Bus > 15yrs). I have not purchased it yet. I would need to first obtain insurance and then finalize the transaction in CA to get a signed copy to apply for the VT registration. At this point the bus is still commercial so I cannot drive it home legally.

As mentioned earlier, it appears I would need to make two trips to CA or somehow arrange with a 3rd party escrow service. It would also require storing the bus until the paperwork comes in from VT. I was trying to avoid this and the expense.

Also, part of confusion is with the weight limit since the bus does exceed the GVWR of 26000. Perhaps, it is not an issue if it is no longer commercial? Surely, there is a weight limit for RV's?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #589
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
In California, your Class C (non-commercial) license is good up to 26k lbs EXCEPT in the case of a motorhome, in which case you are limited to 40’ long - in which case you need a non-commercial class B. That’s why it’s important to go the VT registration route. You can get non-commercial insurance and can legally drive it up to 40’.

You will have to check with your own state for their specific rules but I would tend to believe that they would be similar.
I believe in KS we need a non-commercial class B for GVWR over 26001 which others were asking about. However, I don't think this was answered in the posts? If that is the case, the VT route will help converting to RV but not with requiring another license.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #590
Bus Nut

I am in a similar position as you. I have a Class C DL. I am picking my bus up in LA and driving it back to CA.

Once I have the paperwork (temp title for all intents and purposes) I will fill out the VT paperwork as a motor home and send it off certified mail. That alone is enough to get home and insure it.

But you can do what you want. No one should override your personal preservation mechanism.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #591
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
Are you going to drive from LA to CA with no plates or temp tags showing?
PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #592
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteinSF View Post
Are you going to drive from LA to CA with no plates or temp tags showing?
Whatever the dealer gives me to get off the lot.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #593
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
No dealer in my case. May take a bit longer.
PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #594
Bus Geek

Yes, my understanding is, all the one-trip solutions involve driving from CA to KS without any tags. None admit that explicitly.

I imagine that increases the odds of getting pulled over, let's assume after leaving CA but before arriving in KS.

Yes you have insurance cover, that is good.

But you are driving an unregistered vehicle, and possibly one that by default requires a CDL in that state.

Is the fact that you have a copy of the already-sent but not-yet-approved VT paperwork in hand supposed to be enough that most cops / troopers along the way are likely to "just let it slide"?

Or maybe we're just rolling the dice here? A fine may not be a big deal, but in my experience, the cops are likely to call a tow service, your bus is grounded until everything is legit.

Or have I been missing something obvious?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #595
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, my understanding is, all the one-trip solutions involve driving from CA to KS without any tags. None admit that explicitly.

I imagine that increases the odds of getting pulled over, let's assume after leaving CA but before arriving in KS.

But you are driving an unregistered vehicle, and possibly one that by default requires a CDL in that state.

Is the fact that you have a copy of the already-sent but not-yet-approved VT paperwork in hand supposed to be enough that most cops / troopers along the way are likely to "just let it slide"?

Or maybe we're just rolling the dice here? A fine may not be a big deal, but in my experience, the cops are likely to call a tow service, your bus is grounded until everything is legit.

Kind of my situation as well and why it will be difficult to legally do with one trip.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #596
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
This is from the VT DMV site regarding lost or stolen plates:

You should receive your replacement plates within 60 days. Keep your copy of the replacement application with you while driving until you receive your replacement plates.

I'm trying to find a way to drive a bus from VA to NH without having to make two trips so the VT process might work for us too. Just trying to verify that dropping the VT form in the mail is enough to have it 'in process' and legal.

Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #597
Bus Geek

Quote:

I would get an OTP (trip permit) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr36#top

Deja Vu.....
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #598
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
This is from the VT DMV site regarding lost or stolen plates:

You should receive your replacement plates within 60 days. Keep your copy of the replacement application with you while driving until you receive your replacement plates.
The word "replacement" to me implies that you already have the previously legal tags for your vehicle in place.

That is not the case with the current scenario, so far I only see a trip from CA to KS with **no** tags.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #599
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would get an OTP (trip permit) https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr36#top

Deja Vu.....
Without any tags, right?

Does the CA OTP have any relevance outside CA?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #600
Bus Geek

Quote:
Without any tags, right?

Does the CA OTP have any relevance outside CA?
One Trip Permit(CVC §4003)
A one trip permit may be issued for a fee, in lieu of California registration, to move a vehicle required to be registered:

When unladen, for one continuous trip from a place within California to a place in or outside California or from outside California to a place in California (by the most direct route).
For participation as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition for one round trip from one place to another. The total round trip cannot exceed 100 miles and must be completed within 60 days.
A one trip permit is valid for a nonresident:

To move a newly purchased trailer coach into California.
Member of the armed forces to move an unregistered trailer coach they own into, out of, or within California