Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #681
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
While California does have a program on the books for out of state license plates, it is mostly enforced by the public reporting it, not by LEO’s unless they pull you over for a different reason.

IMO, with RVs and Skollies, this is even less of a problem because the general nature of these vehicles is to travel so LEOs would be less likely to pull you over just on an out of state license plate.

Another way of looking at it is if you have a well done skoolie that doesn’t look like trash or a hazard, you aren’t likely to get reported by an angry neighbor or pulled over.

Most people don’t even know that the program exists.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #682

I followed the instructions to a T for a 1997.

Took about 2 1/2 weeks. AND IT WORKED! Thanks.
TwistedDrum5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #683
Bus Geek

Most (every?) state requires a vehicle present in their jurisdiction for X days to get registered locally. It's not a "program", just a normal law enforced as other traffic / property tax laws are enforced.

Whether garaged or driven is usually irrelevant.

And the point raised above has nothing to do with cops pulling you over for that reason.

But if you are known to be a local and get pulled over for whatever reason, odds are good they'll tell you to locally register.

The new wrinkle is the thousands of mostly hidden cameras, both stationary and mobile, that feed into license plate OCR and facial recognition systems, and centralize the surveillance + geolocation tracking data, cross-referenced with all the other surveillance databases.

So without any "program", a bureaucrat could just run "show me all out of state vehicles that have stayed in the state longer than 100 days, and give me the home address of the driver" in order to raise a heck of a lot of revenue, very quickly.

I realize that most people feel "ho hum who cares, I've got nothing to hide", but please don't try to deny that future is here, it's just not evenly distributed.

People used to call me a paranoid crackpot predicting the domestic surveillance fallout from 9/11, far less than Snowden revealed to actually be happening.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #684
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
While California does have a program on the books for out of state license plates, it is mostly enforced by the public reporting it, not by LEO’s unless they pull you over for a different reason.

IMO, with RVs and Skollies, this is even less of a problem because the general nature of these vehicles is to travel so LEOs would be less likely to pull you over just on an out of state license plate.

Another way of looking at it is if you have a well done skoolie that doesn’t look like trash or a hazard, you aren’t likely to get reported by an angry neighbor or pulled over.

Most people don’t even know that the program exists.
When I moved to California I started a new job and was a little slow taking care of license and registration. After about six weeks I was pulled over. The officer told me that he had seen me daily on the same route at the same time for a few weeks. He figured that I had moved to CA and started a job. He told me that if he saw me again without CA plates that he would have my car impounded.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #685
Bus Geek

The forum software requires me to write words here, not allowed to just post images.Click image for larger version

Name:	52106250.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	28378Click image for larger version

Name:	744.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	28379
Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #686
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
People used to call me a paranoid crackpot predicting the domestic surveillance fallout from 9/11, far less than Snowden revealed to actually be happening.
As we used to say in the 60's, "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you." I completely agree.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #687
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: B60
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 14000 lbs
Talking

Quote:
yes with LP and facial rec cameras everywhere, the AI will be able to automate forcing local registration.

in that case this process is just good for the conversion process, and / or rarely driving within your home state
LP? what does that stand for and I didn't know that they were facial rec cameras, I only knew about the enforcement side of it. I have a friend that had a out of state truck that got caught and had to convert to a California license.

https://www.eff.org/pages/automated-...e-readers-alpr
budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #688

New form -- VT license

The new form seems to ask for a VT license number. Think I should just put in my MA license number, or leave it blank?
Gribov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #689
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
I have a California DL and I left it blank.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #690
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman56 View Post
LP? what does that stand for and I didn't know that they were facial rec cameras, I only knew about the enforcement side of it. I have a friend that had a out of state truck that got caught and had to convert [emoji144] to a California license.
You got it, License Plate readers, not just the image for a human to verify, but OCR on the characters so match against DMV.

Thousands of mobile units as well on cop cars, tow trucks / repo guys / bounty hunters.

DEA & Homeland bulk buying them for fixed roadside use, those signs tell your speed, etc.

Same way automated toll billing works now.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #691
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribov42 View Post
First of all, I noticed your link for the VD119 form doesn't work anymore. When googling that number and clicking the first result, I noticed something different on the form that your picture -- instead of asking for your license number, it asks for "Vermont License". Has anything changed regarding our ability to do this without having a Vermont ID?

Second, if we have a signed title, should we send it in as-is, or should I get my new title from my state first and then send the new title with the form?

Thanks!
Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'll make sure the links are updated today. No, there is no difference regarding ability to register with an out of state license. I went in person recently and the response was to leave it blank if you don't have a Vermont license. They don't do anything to record your out of state license. Second, if you have a signed title, send it in as is. If the bus is older than 15 years send a copy of the title, if it is newer send the actual title itself. Certified mail is preferable in case something goes awry.

Quote:
Most (every?) state requires a vehicle present in their jurisdiction for X days to get registered locally. It's not a "program", just a normal law enforced as other traffic / property tax laws are enforced.
While I agree with your later points about mass surveillance, California DOES have a program called "CHEATERS". It is above and beyond other states in that it actually encourages "good citizens" to report their neighbors. The campaigns for it are pretty atrocious. Don't take it from me -- have a look yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawed_RV View Post
Heyas - thanks for the info. Anyone have any expierience with this on an older bus?? My bus is a 1973. The VIN is not a "standard 17 number" VIN. So do I apply for the new VIN from Vermont too?? Just wondering if theres any extra steps to take before I take the leap.
I'm fairly confident I brought this up to DMV before as I had a motorcycle that fell into the same category ... the response was to send in my VIN # exactly as it was written on the existing transferable registration or title. Vermont will sort the rest out for you. I can't say that with 100% certainty though ... I'd call the Montpelier office and ask a rep. Let us know what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman56 View Post
I just have a few questions:

1) Will this process work on a buss that has back fees on the title here in California?

2) The title was lost by the owner, but he gave me a bill of sell, so I am assuming that this process should work according to your post? And because of this I know that I will have to do a vin verification.

3) Here in California they have this new thing called cameras on the freeway and they are checking for out of state license, I am wondering how this will affect the Vermont license on a bus that is registered to a California resident. I believe that a California resident would get a ticket and would have to convert to a California title in the end any way. But this will help me in the mean time to get the bus converted without having to hop through all the California regulations and save me some money to put towards the bus project and not into the hands of California
1/2) This might be a tricky situation. Back fees should be okay. However if there is a LIEN on the vehicle, Vermont's definitive policy is to send you a non-transferable registration in your name and send the title to the lienholder.
I know this for a fact, as I registered a vehicle with a lien on it and never received my title. It was sent to the lien holder (lender) instead. But this was with a title. On a bus older than 15 years they don't issue a title to begin with as they'll issue a transferable registration in lieu of it ... so I don't know how that would work. Either way, if there is a lien, you will never have a physical copy of the OWNERSHIP papers (title or transferable registration) which means you will never be able to register it in another state as most states require one or the other. And either way, yes, you will absolutely require a vin verification. I don't see you running into any problems based on the information you provided but it's definitely a dicey situation. Let us know how it goes.

3) I have no expertise on California, sorry. You could always pay $20 a month for an out of state mailing address (many services available that do this -- run a quick Google search) and register the bus at that location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribov42 View Post
The new form seems to ask for a VT license number. Think I should just put in my MA license number, or leave it blank?
Leave it blank.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #692

This might seem like a stupid question but would this work for a 3 axle bus that weighs 36,000lbs and has Air Breaks & Jake Breaks?

I have read through almost every post on this thread (thank you warewolff for your time and keeping this thread updated!)

I live in California and thus far Werewolfs method seems like the most painless process to get an Ohio MCI D3 3 axle bus changed over to a MH title.

endohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #693
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Air and Jakes don't break. They BRAKE!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #694
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Air and Jakes don't break. They BRAKE!
I break wind. Does that count?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 AM   #695

Engine: Caterpillar ER3126E
Rated Cap: 66 [?]
Plates but no Tags??? Also - How many skoolies is TOO many???

Does Vermont not issue expiration tags? I just got my license plates *THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST USE OF GOVERNMENT TAX MONEY* but I have no expiration or month stickers. Is this normal?

Also - I have 5 of these beasts - I am registering them one at a time for fear of ruining a good thing. Any thoughts against lumping them all together?

Thank you.
chkca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:32 AM   #696

I just got my plates and no tags. Is that normal??? BTW the instructions worked very well and were timely thank you. I have 5 more to register and I am registering them one at a time so as not to ruin a good thing. Thoughts? Thank you thank you thank you.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:10 AM   #697

UPDATE: RE-read the thread - long thread [don't pull on that] "warewolff" mentioned "...plates were back 2 weeks after I mailed the application and the registration took an extra 2 or 3 days to arrive, as they ship them separately."

So I know the reg is on its way. Also don't panic with that $6.00 fee - I didn't pay it either... And if you send in a check you can see it clear. When the check cleared I was ecstatic. Here is the link to see my plates. https://photos.app.goo.gl/n4kGjr9MLGiYHqRR8
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #698
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkca View Post

I just got my plates and no tags. Is that normal??? BTW the instructions worked very well and were timely thank you. I have 5 more to register and I am registering them one at a time so as not to ruin a good thing. Thoughts? Thank you thank you thank you.

If I recall the tags come soon, just separately
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #699
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by endohunter View Post
This might seem like a stupid question but would this work for a 3 axle bus that weighs 36,000lbs and has Air Breaks & Jake Breaks?

I have read through almost every post on this thread (thank you warewolff for your time and keeping this thread updated!)

I live in California and thus far Werewolfs method seems like the most painless process to get an Ohio MCI D3 3 axle bus changed over to a MH title.

I'd bet they would register it no questions asked but I'm not sure the legality of a bus that heavy. Can't help you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkca View Post

You'll receive the plates and registration about a week apart.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #700
Bus Geek

Confused. I thought "tags" was just slang for license plates? What other meaning does tags have?