Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #761
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am in the thriving Metropoulos of Dayton. Proudly sporting 2000 people and the only stop light in the entire county.
403 miles straight south of me - I was through there one evening during a snowstorm with fog - 'have no idea what Dayton looks like - lol

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #762
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
they took our stoplight away and gave us a stop sign instead - lol ( 1500 population )

I do love living in a rural setting.....

Until it comes time to buy materials for the bus... Very limited options and higher prices compared to a more metro area.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #763
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
I wouldn't live anywhere but rural now - I already have everything needed, and more, to qualify a bus as a motorhome - and I found a place that sells bus bodies for next to nothing when you don't need axles or wheels/tires - it's a long trip, but I think it will be worth it to have extra everything when (if) I do a roof raise -- and there are lots of auto wreckers handy, from 3 minutes to 30 minutes away, and a handy man that welds, does gas and electric, and has a strong back, so a conversion should go well, ( I hope )
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #764
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The town I grew up in had a flashing light and a gas station!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #765
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman56 View Post
Got my plates today, thank you sir. I guess I did everything correct.
Glad it all worked out.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #766
Mini-Skoolie

Vdmv

https://youtu.be/U_3PnFFotaw
https://youtu.be/7WrefI7Iaw0
https://youtu.be/I5gZR_9lfuc
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #767

Year: 1996
Chassis: Thomas International 3800
infinite thanks for this info!!!!!!
ephillipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #768
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
Vermont registration

We finally went and got our massachusetts plates and registration with our vermont registration which converted our bus to motorhome no questions asked. Thanks guys.
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #769

mini school bus insurance troubles

i am trying to get insurance for a 2007 ford e-450 super duty mini school bus,.. i cant find a place that will insure it?? i just want to pull out all the seats and use it to go to car shows .. sell my auto ads books etc .. i know about Rv,s and box truck but the bus is nicer..any help /???? any reasons why i cant get insurance ??
robbyrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #770

I just bought a bus from a guy in Nevada who bought it from a school district in Colorado. The guy in NV didn't put the title in his name so I have a signed off title from CO and a bill of sale from a different party in NV. Bus is older than 15 years. Should I send a copy of the title with the other paperwork or just the bill or sale? Trying to avoid any issues....
ItJustGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #771

I apologize in advance, I have scanned through this some but haven't looked at every single post so this question may be answered already or be obvious and I am an idiot!

Is this process the same if the title is already in your name?
Vegerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #772

Year: 1996
Chassis: Thomas International 3800
Pennsylvania

Unfortunately, if you live in Pennsylvania, PA will still require an Enhanced Inspection in order to register it in PA as a motorhome - if your title says bus (or anything other than motorhome) it will need to be retitled because of the conversion. I used this process and have my bus registered in Vermont and attempted to go through PennDot's transfer process. It actually seems easier to just drive it up to Vermont each year to get it inspected rather than go through PA's crazy loops! Annual vacation to VT... not terrible ;) awesome info. hope other states are more lenient!
ephillipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #773
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ohio you just renew online.. even my one registered as a bus is just renew in person but no inspection since it’s bon commercial and no dot number. I’ve heard PA has always been a pita to deal with vehicle wise
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #774
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E450 Van
Engine: 7.3L V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 5 window / 29 person / WC
Odd Response from Vermont

I submitted my registration application to Vermont in early March, following the very helpful instructions on this thread.

Knowing processing usually takes a few weeks, I was surprised to see an envelope from Vermont DMV in the mail yesterday. At first I hoped it might be my license plates, but realized it was just a regular letter.

Vermont returned my application to me for two reasons:

A) I overpaid. The $6 warranty fee is unnecessary. I know that's mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I didn't find it until after I submitted my application.

B) Vermont wrote me a letter asking for a statement from me or the seller, whoever did the work, certifying that the bus was converted to a motorhome.

I didn't have access to a printer, so I handwrote a letter stating that I certify the bus has been converted to a motorhome and that I did the work. Vermont's instructions to me didn't ask for anything specific, so I didn't give them any details. I then mailed the letter back with my application and a new check for the correct amount.

Has anyone else received a letter like this from VT? Pictures attached.

I was surprised to get a letter at all, since others have had to call the DMV in order to get any updates or instructions on their application. I'm also surprised VT needed the conversion letter.

I wonder if VT is starting to catch on? Or perhaps because my existing title and documents said "BUS" it was obvious to VT that the vehicle was a bus? Or if this is simply a CYA move Vermont is implementing in case insurance companies start yelling at Vermont for titling vehicles as motorhomes with no proof?

Anyone else with similar experiences?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2214.jpg   IMG_2213.jpg   IMG_2219.jpg  
Chad1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1865 View Post
I submitted my registration application to Vermont in early March, following the very helpful instructions on this thread.

Knowing processing usually takes a few weeks, I was surprised to see an envelope from Vermont DMV in the mail yesterday. At first I hoped it might be my license plates, but realized it was just a regular letter.

Vermont returned my application to me for two reasons:

A) I overpaid. The $6 warranty fee is unnecessary. I know that's mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I didn't find it until after I submitted my application.

B) Vermont wrote me a letter asking for a statement from me or the seller, whoever did the work, certifying that the bus was converted to a motorhome.

I didn't have access to a printer, so I handwrote a letter stating that I certify the bus has been converted to a motorhome and that I did the work. Vermont's instructions to me didn't ask for anything specific, so I didn't give them any details. I then mailed the letter back with my application and a new check for the correct amount.

Has anyone else received a letter like this from VT? Pictures attached.

I was surprised to get a letter at all, since others have had to call the DMV in order to get any updates or instructions on their application. I'm also surprised VT needed the conversion letter.

I wonder if VT is starting to catch on? Or perhaps because my existing title and documents said "BUS" it was obvious to VT that the vehicle was a bus? Or if this is simply a CYA move Vermont is implementing in case insurance companies start yelling at Vermont for titling vehicles as motorhomes with no proof?

Anyone else with similar experiences?
I just sent mine in today. I called Vermont DMV and they told me NOT to fill out anything in the Truck portion, and under body type in #5 put MH. Now I wait. I will report back on how it goes.
Swale2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #776

I registered my skoolie in Vermont - never got the title changed in my home state. Now I'm going to sell my skoolie... Any advice on this? How does the person buying get it registered in their name? Since it was never re-titled and the OG title is in my name
HippyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #777
Bus Geek

Is there a difficulty getting VT to issue a MH title?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #778
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Vermont does not issue a title for anything less then 15 years old.

By the way on state safety inspection although it is "required" and you can get a ticket for not being inspected if you are in Vermont, outside of Vermont that would not apply, and it does not prevent renewing the tags. I do not know how aggressive the local Vermont cops may be about looking for the inspection sticker.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #779

Engine: 6.2 diesel
Plates

I was wondering, does Vermont send you plates ?
tclifenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #780
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifenow View Post
I was wondering, does Vermont send you plates ?

Yes. They send plates in 3-5 weeks followed by registration and/or title in two more weeks.